The Sega 32X

Started by TL, October 10, 2012, 19:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"I'm a big fan of the 32X. I only had three games when it was new. Primal Rage, Virtua Fighter and Motocross. Over the last dozen or so years I have added more titles.

I guess it is an acquired taste but one I am glad to have experienced.

How many games do you have for it now?

What are the best ones?

onthinice

I have 24 games. One is a 32X CD. Corpse Killer. Not real impressed with CD aspect.

Games I like are the two WWF titles: Raw and The Arcade game. Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, BC Racers, Brutal Above the Claw, Doom, MK II, Pitfall - for the hidden original version, Primal Rage,  Shadow Squadron, Star Wars, Space Harrier, Star Trek and Afterburner.

Toughman Contest might be better on the Genesis. I have heard the NBA game is really good.
Metalhead and Tempo are fun for a little while. Cosmic Carnage and Motocross are a couple of stinkers.

My NFL Quarterback and 36 Holes Golf games are sealed so I have not played those.

I think there were only about 36 games released in the States. Spiderman has always been a little to pricey for me.

I have been happy with the games. Only wish they had released more.

Was there not a soccer game released in Europe for the 32X?

Bobinator

Sorry, but somebody saying that Brutal Paws Of Fury isn't a bad game and Cosmic Carnage isn't is an injustice that I will not stand for. (Most people would say they're both awful. I'm not most people.)

I honestly felt it played pretty well, since it was a little closer to Street Fighter than Mortal Kombat. The whole armor gimmick, which determined what special moves you got, was pretty neat, too, even if it meant to you had to pretty much have a moves list on you at all times.

Shadowrunner

I had Cosmic Carnage and I agree it's not very good. I remember I beat the game on the highest difficulty using nothing but one special move over and over. The armor was cool and it looked really good with the scaling but game play wise not so much.

onthinice

I think if I had bought Cosmic Carnage before Virtua Fighter I might have not had such high expectations for the game.

I have always been a fan of fighting game with video game animals like Primal Rage and  the TMNT series. So Brutal just falls in with the type of fighting games I like to play.

dcultrapro

Bob which game did you think was good and which was bad? I got a little confused there lol!!

I have 5 games for it and while I think the console add on was a mistake in general that doesn't mean I don't actually like it. I think its a neat little contraption and I like Metal Head and Star Wars Arcade on it

I've got the following 5 games

Doom
Cosmic Carnage
Metal Head
Star Wars
Virtua Racer

I would love to have the 32x cd version of Supreme Warrior and Space Harrier and T-Mek but other than that I'm not too familiar with the catalogue and I have most of the games on other platforms so its a bit of an expense to try and collect it
Ultrapro on xbox live

tomwaits

I like the 32X but it's hard to recommend most of the games. The 32X exclusives are a quirky bunch... seems like none of them fit well with their franchises or genres. Knuckles Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade, Zaxxon Motherbase, Kolibri, Tempo, Metalhead, and T-Mek are all fun and unique but none of them are really great games.

Shadow Squadron (Stellar Assault) is probably my favorite 32X game. Fast paced dogfighting in polygon spaceships. There was a sequel released in Japan for the Saturn but I prefer the 32X version. Darxide is really good too if you don't mind playing on a flashcart, emulator, or N-Gage.

I think Virtua Racing Deluxe for 32X is better than the Saturn version, but most of the other multi-platform games are better on other consoles.

FIFA 96 was an EU-only release for 32X. It's supposed to be a solid game and works fine on either PAL or NTSC consoles but I never bothered to track it down. There was also a JPN 32X exclusive from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategy game series. (?)

Here's a pic of my 32X storage bin:

dcultrapro

yeah I'd love to get T-Mek and Shadow Squadron but the asking prices are NUTS, nice info and pic mate!!
Ultrapro on xbox live

onthinice

Very nice collection of games tomwaits!!! Thanks for the info about FIFA 96.

I have always been curious about the 32X version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Enough so that I would like to learn the language just to play.

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"Very nice collection of games tomwaits!!! Thanks for the info about FIFA 96.

I have always been curious about the 32X version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Enough so that I would like to learn the language just to play.

Would probably make a good candidate for a fan translation

onthinice

Good idea Laird! I wonder if anyone has considered it?

TL

This video briefly shows all the western releases for the add-on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yl-caqFvzg

dcultrapro

I'd love to have Darxide and Shadow Squadron but Primal Rage and MK2 actually look pretty good too. I think next year if I get a bonus I might treat myself to some stuff lol

Obviously one day I'd also like Chaotix but doubt that will ever happen, also that Star Trek game looked interesting and another obvious one is T-Mek, but the money for some of these is just insane
Ultrapro on xbox live

zapiy

Wow Tom thats a nice collection indeed..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Rogue Trooper

Speaking as a launch MCD owner, the 'failure' of the 32X really came as no surprise, yet another stop gap from Sega, desperate not to lose the MD user base.The MCD fiasco really should have set alarm bells ringing within Sega, by going the FMV route on hardware really NOT geared up to run it (only 512 colours, at best what 64 colours on screen?) whilst ignoring the rich potential of it's sprite handling custom hardware and 2nd CPU, to me showed utter lack of focus.

I did pick up a 32X few years back, once i'd set the monster up (what? another AC plug, cables here, there and all over!), enjoyed Virtua Starwars (though more jerky than i expected), but very let down by Metal Head. Huge Mech fan and whilst the texture mapping was nice, did'nt have the 'feel' of being in a towering bemoth death machine that Jag. Iron Solider had.

As for the rest of the games, seemed to go for silly money for the exclusives on Ebay, was'nt planning to collect for it, so soon got shot of it.