Let's Compare - Pole Position

Started by TL, September 20, 2012, 22:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

The grand daddy of all modern racing games - it's Namco & Atari's Pole Position:

TrekMD

After looking through these, it is really impressive how well this game translated to the Vectrex.  The GBA version seems out of place in the comparison but it has the most accurate visuals.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

I was surprised by the Vic-20 version. It actually looked good.

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"I was surprised by the Vic-20 version. It actually looked good.

Same. The BBC version is also superb for a pretty basic machine.

onthinice

I do not know much about the BBC but your right Laird it really looked good.

TrekMD

I was surprised by the BBC as well.  It does look very nice.

TL

The BBC was an 8-bit computer released in 1981 and mostly used in schools here, it could only display 8 colours maximum with a variety of different graphics modes. It used a 6502 (same as the NES, C64, PC Engine and Lynx) at a then very fast 2mhz but could also have a co-processor fitted to speed it up further. The basic model only had 16k of RAM but 32k pretty much became the standard. All the games games came on disk or cassette tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbc_micro

onthinice

I am off topic but has anyone on the site thought about system reviews to go along with the game reviews?

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"I am off topic but has anyone on the site thought about system reviews to go along with the game reviews?

We have talked about hardware reviews.  I wrote a review for the Overdrive controller for the Vectrex but I think that's the only one we have so far.

onthinice

Good review! That is good it has been talked about. I think it would really help if someone was wanting to know more about a certain console, computer or handheld.

RVG as a site really goes in-depth with information. Myself, sometimes I just have questions about add-ons, memory or how well a certain product is built.

zapiy

That BBC version really is a surprising version.. suppose that shows how good a game can be when the programmers get to grips..

As for the Hardware reviews , that something we can do as the systems area is already live..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Rogue Trooper

Our then brand new sports hall had the coin op in, i used to play a fair bit of it at the time as hated sports!. Played the 2600 version in my day as well.

There was a cartoon based on it as well, if memory serves me well, on BBC 1, Sat.mornings..Live+Kicking????

TrekMD

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Our then brand new sports hall had the coin op in, i used to play a fair bit of it at the time as hated sports!. Played the 2600 version in my day as well.

There was a cartoon based on it as well, if memory serves me well, on BBC 1, Sat.mornings..Live+Kicking????

I don't remember a cartoon based on Pole Position but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one. 

Rogue Trooper

Putting my neck on the line i know, but i swear there was a cartoon and i seem to recal being given a board game based on the game as well.