The 8-Bit Wars - Paperboy

Started by TL, September 17, 2012, 22:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Trooper

Dunno if really cares about just how popular  the home micro conversions of Paperboy were, here in Uk-well according to Gallup Paperboy sold around 230,000 copies.

Spector

The Speccy version, once you got over the fact it had none of the atmosphere of the arcade game with those mono graphics, was quite playable. The collision detection didn't favour you, but it was always predictable, and I had a lot of fun completing it at the time. The C64 version was a disaster. Some great presentation effects, but the actual game itself was a complete fail. C&VG gave the C64 one 48% or thereabouts when they reviewed the budget re-release in 1989/90, so that tells you what they thought of it.

The NES version scored a massive 35% in The Complete Guide To Consoles Book III. I still chuckle at the summary box comments: "Sound- "A sad mockery of the title tune booms forlornly during play" :21:

Surprisingly, the Gameboy version played well. The GBC remake was much worse. The Lynx was closer to the source, giving you Easy Street, Middle Road and Hard way to choose from, and it was tasty. I hear that the Master System version though was the best at the time. Never played the Megadrive one.
DEATH TO SUGAR