TL

Final scores everyone?

Mine is 16-9 to the 7800

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

TL

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!

Due to the recent release of Frogger on the 7800 we can add another game to this thread! They are both homebrew games too  :16:

UFC Nintendo NES Homebrew

Froggie

davyk

I have to admit when I first saw this thread I entered it with the intention of ripping it apart. I love my 7800 but come on - comparing the NES to the 7800?

But - the 7800 does show itself to be an able contender - even though the comparisons are in the realm of the less than stellar end of the NES library.

But I do have to call you to task on some things. The DKJr / DK comparison? 7800 better? Really? Please - and also the fact that both games appeared on the one classic cart compilation for NES has been ignored - and to compare lovingly crafted 21st century home-brews to some clear NES rush jobs? Come on!

The 7800's main problems are the abysmal sound and the truly awful RF only picture which becomes more of an issue as the years go by - and unfortunately they undermine a lot of the great games it has.

The 7800 story is such a shame as technically it's a great console and this thread shows it clearly could have successfully competed with the NES had it been backed properly - albeit with on-board POKEY and composite video, although with a young, creatively rampant Shigeru Miyamoto and Gunpei Yokoi it was probably an unwinnable battle.

TL

If you get a French SECAM Atari 7800 you get RGB output as standard, I really want one of these! It's very easy to mod a NTSC machine for composite too apparently.

With regards to Donkey Kong, the 2 versions of the original game are very close with the NES winning on sound alone but the POKEY version (more of a hack than a homebrew) is better because of the improved sound and addition of the missing level.

I am a big 7800 fan but seriously expected the NES to romp this one and it just didn't, the Atari machine more than held its own. My article in the new issue of RG shows that the 7800 did have some games that competed with the more advanced titles of the NES and SMS, just not enough of them. I am sure that had it had the investment/resources/support of its more illustrious rivals it would have impressed far more.

davyk

Have heard of those French models - would be sweet - I honestly believe I would play more 7800 if the av cable situation was better.

I connect mine to a Sony VCR and then connect that to a CRT via composite but even then it can be pretty ropey at times because a picture can only be as good as the source. Really is such a pity - even composite would be a massive improvement - I have heard about the mods but I've also heard that quality can be iffy with those.

SnakeEyes

The 7800 is a vastly underrated machine and the comparisons on here show that it was a machine with potential, but lets be honest here, The NES was never the most powerful machine and the games going head to head in both this and the MS thread are considered on the low end of the NES library.

Its always been well known that the NES library is its strong point and as I mentioned in the MS thread, once you start introducing exclusives the NES is just going to turn it on and leave the other two behind.

But yes the nes head to head with same games shows its not as technically competant as the others. Whatbdoes that say about the programmers that the NES had so many iconic exclusives that the other systemd had trouble matching.

TrekMD

The NES had great marketing (at least in the US) and that helped it become the success it was (again, in the US).  Clearly, that was not the case in Europe.  It was also helped by Nintendo's exclusivity requirements from developers so that the system had its fair share of unique titles. 

Insofar as the homebrew Froggers games for both systems...I own the NES version and I've played the 7800 version.  The 7800 version works better for me as it is more arcade-accurate (particularly in terms of music). 

TL

TrekMD

That's a nice video and he does try to be fair to both consoles.  The flicker on the NES version is horrible for some of these games.

onthinice

That is a great video! I wish Popeye would have seen a 7800 release.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"That is a great video! I wish Popeye would have seen a 7800 release.

Me too!  That game would have looked great on the 7800!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"That's a nice video and he does try to be fair to both consoles.  The flicker on the NES version is horrible for some of these games.

Yeah I thought it was a great video and it really shows the 7800 in a good light. I would love to see him do another one.

TrekMD

Looks like the folks from The Atari Times web site have done some updates and they posted an article comparing both the Atari 7800 and the NES.  Check it out:  Atari 7800 vs. Nintendo NES.

[align=center:2xw7t0gj][/align:2xw7t0gj]