The 3DO Topic

Started by onthinice, September 10, 2012, 19:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaJay

Quote from: "Darques_Pandemonium"Oh, and Wing Commander III rules o9n it as well, Blows the Playstation version out of the water!
I wouldn't go that far! There is alot missing from the 3do version compared to the PC/PS1 version, though the missions are very different and the game has easier to kill enemies but more of them and the graphics aren't as good, but if your a fan its worth playing both just for the different missions...but no way does it blow the others 'out of the water'!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_III:_Heart_of_the_Tiger
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Quote from: "Darques_Pandemonium"Oh, and Wing Commander III rules o9n it as well, Blows the Playstation version out of the water!
I wouldn't go that far! There is alot missing from the 3do version compared to the PC/PS1 version, though the missions are very different and the game has easier to kill enemies but more of them and the graphics aren't as good, but if your a fan its worth playing both just for the different missions...but no way does it blow the others 'out of the water'!

Been years since i played the PS1 version, never aware so many differences between PS1+3DO versions, so learned something knew today.

The removal of various sequences and the replacing of with FMV, was interesting to learn.Guess PS1's limited ram to blame for longer loading times.

And yet another planned..but canned Saturn game.

:-(

Bobinator

How DOES Wing Commander work on a 3DO pad? I'd imagine that nice it's not a joystick, you'd have a lot harder time. I mean, not even the SNES version had enough buttons to handle everything, and I think you had to use the 'Select' button as a 'shift' button. Since the 3DO has about one or two less buttons than the SNES, I'm not quite sure how they'd handle it.

Then again, there's always one of these... maybe I'll put it on my "List of Things Bobinator Would Buy If He Found Himself With A Crapton of Money" list. Right under another 3DO. I really miss my old one.

guest4826

Quote from: "AmigaJay"

Ity's a matter of opinion man. I love the 3DO version of the game much more than I liked the Playstation one. The PC version was cool, but I liked the later released one that came out on DVD with the bigs fixed, but again, it's a "Remastered" version basically, so I don't count it the same. It's all good man, to each their own as my comment was based on my opinion. I guess I could have said "I Thought" before, but didn't think it was necessary since I was the one saying it.  :77:

Oh, and the game plays well on the 3DO. Mind you, button combinations for it to work, but still controls nicely once used to it.

TL

Shadowrunner

Cool video! Too bad so many Japanese 3DO games didn't get english releases.

guest4826

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Cool video! Too bad so many Japanese 3DO games didn't get english releases.

At least many of the Japan only games can be played relatively well without a knowledge of the Japanese language though.

onthinice

I like that Japanese 3DO game developers were not afraid to take chances.

guest4826

F1 GP was cool in that it showed some of the strength the 3DO had as a 3D system. Foes of Ali, however, is just purely awesome. The controls are really nice accompanied by some very well done graphics for it's time. Knockout Kings Grand Daddy too. This game was much nicer though as the playability was just so much better. Was more about having serious fun than the way the series later got bogged down with stupid "Sim" style ideas that never really worked out. Thing is that Foes of Ali is actually quite a bit rarer than people understand and at it's current price is well worth a purchase as it's going to be a pricier title down the road.

TL

Quote from: "T2KFreeker"F1 GP was cool in that it showed some of the strength the 3DO had as a 3D system. Foes of Ali, however, is just purely awesome. The controls are really nice accompanied by some very well done graphics for it's time. Knockout Kings Grand Daddy too. This game was much nicer though as the playability was just so much better. Was more about having serious fun than the way the series later got bogged down with stupid "Sim" style ideas that never really worked out. Thing is that Foes of Ali is actually quite a bit rarer than people understand and at it's current price is well worth a purchase as it's going to be a pricier title down the road.

I have never played or seen these games before and they look pretty cool!

Lorfarius

It was a real shame the 3DO failed, the thinking behind it was sound. I did a vid of the joystick and Wing Commander a few years ago:

https://youtu.be/jy0TJLFNky4

The poster to the left of the TV is my colour print out of the Star Control 2 space map which is in my opinion one of if not the best games for the system.  Think Elite exploration meets mad shoot em up action.

64bitRuss

Not impressed with either of those games. Is there only one weapon in Monster Manor? If so that is pathetic, I couldn't play that one at all.

onthinice

The games look good paused.