The 3DO Topic

Started by onthinice, September 10, 2012, 19:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

You 2 rows of 3 buttons to play Street Fighter properly, like the Mega Drive has :3:

Shadowrunner

Yeah if you want to play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the 3DO properly the Capcom made Soldier Pad is the way to go. It can be a little pricey but it's worth it.

Alberto 2K

That's a weird controller! There aren't any on eBay right now, how much should I expect to pay for one of these?

I've seen an arcade stick also, any of you ever tried it? It's too pricey for what I see...
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Greyfox

and all for one game? unless your doing tournaments in your house with friends, this joypad is a seriously waste of cash, which is probably a shame, since I reckon Capcom had many plans to releases heaps more of their games on the 3DO before it's demise.

Shadowrunner

It's a weird looking controller for sure but it's actually very comfortable to hold and has a great D-pad. I Paid about $40 for mine which is probably about the cheapest you will find one for.
It works for other games too so I wouldn't say it's a waste of money but with the shoulder buttons being on the face it does make it a little difficult to play a few games with.
There's also other 3rd party 6 button controllers for the 3DO available for pretty cheap but I've never tried any of them.

Edit: Another option is this here http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/collect/3do_psx23do.htm
I have to say though that I've never tried ordering anything from these guys before and really don't know anything about them except they are based out of Hong Kong. At $17 to use a PS1 or PS2 controller with a 3DO it sounds like a hell of a deal as long as the shipping isn't too much.
Maybe someone else around here has used them before and can vouch for them?

Greyfox

No, I meant if it's just to buy it for Super Street fighter 2, it would of been a waste, but if it is for all round, then it could be a good option, hows does it compare to the original 3DO joy-pad? control wise?

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Greyfox"No, I meant if it's just to buy it for Super Street fighter 2, it would of been a waste, but if it is for all round, then it could be a good option, hows does it compare to the original 3DO joy-pad? control wise?

I think it's much better control wise but again with the shoulder buttons where they are it wont work for every game.

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "Greyfox"No, I meant if it's just to buy it for Super Street fighter 2, it would of been a waste, but if it is for all round, then it could be a good option, hows does it compare to the original 3DO joy-pad? control wise?
Of course, it's for use it with more games. I always read the d-pad on the standard 3DO controller is not very good, I'm just taking note of all the options available.

As for SSF2, is one of the best fighting games of all times, one of my favorite games and one of the reasons I bought a 3DO, it deserves the best!

@Shadowrunner: I didn't know about that PS2 controller adapter, the price is good! I saw this 3rd party controller and it looks nice but who knows:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/121137271828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anyway, I will try the original 3DO controller before buying anything, shame it only has 5 buttons...

Shadowrunner

Okay so I decided to order up one of the PS to 3DO controller adapters.
I'm really curious to see how it works so I guess I'll be the guinea pig here. The shipping charge was more then the adapter but if it works good it will be worth it.
I would imagine the shipping would be much less to Spain where you live Alberto and as long as you have PS1 or 2 controllers on hand it might be a cheaper alternative then hunting for a really good 3DO controller.
I will post my thoughts on it once it shows up  :)

Alberto 2K

Nice, let us know how it works! I received a bunch of games and the controller but still waiting for the console. Summer vacations and efficient post office are not compatible.

Hong Kong is far from here too! :P I think shipping it here will be about the same as shipping from Japan but the converter doesn't seem to be big. Maybe they only send by registered mail?

My only complaint about the original controllers are the 5 buttons, for now...(!)

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"Nice, let us know how it works! I received a bunch of games and the controller but still waiting for the console. Summer vacations and efficient post office are not compatible.

Hong Kong is far from here too! :21:

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Got my tracking number so it's on it's way. It's being shipped EMS which is usually very reliable and at $26 from Hong Kong I can't complain too much.

Out of curiosity I checked google maps and Hong Kong is actually closer to Canada than Spain, who knew  :69:

Now I have a FZ-1, FZ-10 and Goldstar controllers but still haven't tried the last one. The FZ-1 controller is my fav for now, is bigger and more confortable than the FZ-10 one.

Rogue Trooper

Mark Cerny talking to Edge issue 258/Oct 2013 on his experience of developing for 3DO whilst at Crystal Dynamics:

'It was'nt high powered enough to really let you make the games.Total Eclipse ran at between, i think, 8Hz and 14Hz-8Hz when it got busy.Not really interactive rates....the O/S for 3DO should have been called the SOS.This was a console that had 1 MB of system memory, at 1 point, the O/S grew to 600K, leaving 400K for games.....

...they added another megabyte of memory-brought it up to 2MB-which is one of the reasons why it ended up costing $700 at launch.so it was a struggle, but we had fun'.

Struck me as ironic, that here we are in 2013, another wave of 'Next gen' consoles about to hit, bursting with Ram, yet both suffer bloated footprints of O/S footprints as they are designed to do much more than just play games, leaving games developers struggling at times, guess PS4/Xbox One roots can be traced back to the 3DO......

guest4826

Soldier pad is awesome. 3DO is awesome. The system was so under appreciated in it's time. Wat ahead of the curve as well. Some amazing games, and actually, some of them are indeed FMV games. Not all FMV games ended up as bad as some of the poorly done Sega CD stuff was. I still, to this day with all the other versions of SSFIIT that have released, I still think the 3DO one was awesome and is still the best version. It's missing the paralax scrolling sadly, but everything else is awesome in it. And, for the record, since the Neo Geo guys like to give me Hell for this, Samurai Shodown on the 3DO is an excellent port of the game and much better than the elite give it credit for. It has load times, so what? It's still Samurai Shodown and Crystal Dynamics did some serious Voo Doo on it too because it plays very good with a stock 3DO pad to boot!

Oh, and Wing Commander III rules o9n it as well, Blows the Playstation version out of the water!

onthinice

I agree! Some great ports for the 3DO. Plenty of good titles to make the purchase of a system, a smart move.