New Vectrex Hombrew - Hellhole

Started by TrekMD, September 01, 2012, 02:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Fury Unlimited will be releasing a new homebrew game for the Vectrex in its line of Sector-X games:  Hellhole: Sector-X IV.  This game can be ordered with a special controller called the Vectrosis controller.  Hellhole can be preordered here:  Hellhole

[align=center:2kqtz03i][/align:2kqtz03i]

And here is the Vectrosis Spinner:

[align=center:2kqtz03i][/align:2kqtz03i]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

TrekMD

It may have similar gameplay given that new spinner controller.  :)

onthinice

The game and controller really look nice!

zapiy

Looks great, anyone picking it up?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

I'm not sure about this... esp. at $45 for the controller?? Looks like a Radio Shack project box, hacked 2600 driving controller, and a couple of the smallest gaming buttons I've ever seen. And, until I see the gameplay, I'm not sold on the game either. Some of the Fury games seem too minimal/simplistic to me.

zapiy

Flip that's a pretty sum if you want the lot. Do you have to have the controller?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

It says that you can play Hellhole with a standard controller, and the game alone is only $30. Game + controller is $75.

The driving controller is a little more expensive but at least it supports multiple games including original retail releases. The spinner is only for Hellhole and possible future Fury homebrews.

TrekMD

Quote from: "tomwaits"I'm not sure about this... esp. at $45 for the controller?? Looks like a Radio Shack project box, hacked 2600 driving controller, and a couple of the smallest gaming buttons I've ever seen.

I've noticed that hardware tends to be expensive in the homebrew scene and more so for the Vectrex.  The buttons on these are exactly the same as those on the Overdrive controller.  Their size isn't a problem using that controller, so I would not anticipate issues using them on this controller. 

Quote from: "tomwaits"And, until I see the gameplay, I'm not sold on the game either. Some of the Fury games seem too minimal/simplistic to me.

Tom, have you played these Sector-X games?  They may look simplistic but they are not simple or easy games.  I understand they cannot be everyone's cup of tea, though.

Quote from: "zapiy"Looks great, anyone picking it up?

I am.  Already ordered it.     

tomwaits

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "tomwaits"And, until I see the gameplay, I'm not sold on the game either. Some of the Fury games seem too minimal/simplistic to me.

Tom, have you played these Sector-X games?  They may look simplistic but they are not simple or easy games.  I understand they cannot be everyone's cup of tea, though.

The only Fury game that I have is I Cyborg, which I really like, and I pre-ordered Warrior. (I remember playing the arcade original at the local movie theater when it was new.)

I haven't played any of his other games but I've checked reviews and watched videos. I was considering Sectis but it seems like a 'short' game with 3 non-random levels then it's over? Is there any replay value? Zantis looks like my kind of game but the gameplay seems too basic/repetitive.

Maybe I'm spoiled by classicgamecreations game quality, prices, and sample roms... I'm just not willing to pay $30-$35 on blind buys from Fury unless I'm sure that I'll get some lasting replay value.

TrekMD

Quote from: "tomwaits"

The only Fury game that I have is I Cyborg, which I really like, and I pre-ordered Warrior. (I remember playing the arcade original at the local movie theater when it was new.)

I haven't played any of his other games but I've checked reviews and watched videos. I was considering Sectis but it seems like a 'short' game with 3 non-random levels then it's over? Is there any replay value? Zantis looks like my kind of game but the gameplay seems too basic/repetitive.

Maybe I'm spoiled by classicgamecreations game quality, prices, and sample roms... I'm just not willing to pay $30-$35 on blind buys from Fury unless I'm sure that I'll get some lasting replay value.

Mastering the levels in Sectis is not at all easy, so making it to the last level will take time.  What looks simple, really isn't in this case.  True that once you master the game there may not be as much replay value left but getting to that mastery will give you many hours of play.  But, it is a matter of taste.  These games may not be your cup of tea. 

tomwaits

Quote from: "tomwaits"

Mastering the levels in Sectis is not at all easy, so making it to the last level will take time.  What looks simple, really isn't in this case.  True that once you master the game there may not be as much replay value left but getting to that mastery will give you many hours of play.  But, it is a matter of taste.  These games may not be your cup of tea.

Yeah... wish I could try the Fury games before buying, but most of his releases haven't looked too appealing to me anyway. For Vectrex I definitely prefer arcade style score attack games. Gravitrex Plus, Protector, Star Castle, etc.

My next Vectrex buy will probably be Vector Pilot when I have the budget. I don't mind paying more for a game that will give me more replay value.

TrekMD

Quote from: "tomwaits"Yeah... wish I could try the Fury games before buying, but most of his releases haven't looked too appealing to me anyway. For Vectrex I definitely prefer arcade style score attack games. Gravitrex Plus, Protector, Star Castle, etc.

My next Vectrex buy will probably be Vector Pilot when I have the budget. I don't mind paying more for a game that will give me more replay value.

That's well and good.  :)  That's why there are so many different types of games. 

You will love Vector Pilot when you get it.  It is worth every cent!  The overlays is extremely well done (well the overlays since there are 3 to choose from) and really make the game shine. 

guest4683

A lot of people prefer arcade-style games:

War of the Worlds 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JqJmWebLG4

Sundance 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VpICUholk

Warrior 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUlJuRl0nEk

All known remakes of course. What I tell people is to try the arcade versions on an emulator. If you dislike those, don't buy my remakes!  ;)

Zantis is definitely my simplest game. That was my intention, and I have stated that at other forums before. It's not a remake, but does feel much like an arcade game from the 80's. The Video Game Critic recently reviewed Zantis:
http://videogamecritic.net/vecmz.htm?ext=19157#Zantis

I have several older titles available for FREE from my website!
http://www.furyunlimited.com/_sgg/m1m6_1.htm

Perhaps in the future, I will release downloadable demos of my games for people to try before they buy.

I've never really received complaints about my pricing. Sometimes I lose money on releases (Sectis was one such release due to the inclusion of an embroidered t-shirt). People are selling hacked controllers (from other systems) for the Vectrex for more than I charge for my newly crafted controllers. Had to wonder about the Radio Shack comment I just read. For one thing, I would be selling you a phone if I were shopping at Radio Shack because that's all they sell now. If you think that I could sell the controllers for a lower price if I had the housing custom made, then please direct me to whatever you're smoking TOM. You seem to be arguing both ends...you want fancy custom housing, but you want a lower price too? No, just no.

I urge people to seek out reviews/videos of all of my games, because most of them have received very high marks. I am fortunate to have had so many Vectrex fans support my numerous homebrew efforts dating back to '03! Looking forward to celebrating 10 years of Vectrex homebrews in 2013!

TL

Quote from: "fury"Zantis is definitely my simplest game. That was my intention, and I have stated that at other forums before. It's not a remake, but does feel much like an arcade game from the 80's. The Video Game Critic recently reviewed Zantis:
http://videogamecritic.net/vecmz.htm?ext=19157#Zantis

It's already been reviewed on here too  ;)

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... ctrexvwxyz