The Atari Jaguar Thread

Started by zapiy, January 26, 2011, 00:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

Came across this today and found it very enlightening. And finally puts the nail in the coffin about the bullshit regarding I.D.Software doing next gen things with the Atari Jaguar platform, it was good but unfortunately not by much.

Have a read here

AmigaJay

Did make me chuckle with the 'clusterfuck that was the Atari Jaguar' comment! Id say it was a no go on Jag Quake anyway considering the extra power needed to run the game, if they had to use a sound processor to max the fps on Doom then they would have no chance!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

It's good to see these guys are still doing stuff.  I hope we see a finalized project from them soon.

zapiy

Flappy McFur looks awesome i have to say, and the attention to detail on their site is also very good.

http://jagcorner.bitjag.com/projects.html

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

Yeah I like the new look of their site. Cool to see they are releasing a physical game when Flappy is finished.

Ben

Speaking of McFur, Trevor McFur is still one of my favorite games for the Jag that I think gets unfairly labeled as a generic Star Fox clone.  I've gotten back into Jag collecting a bit (I sold mine in the 90's), and it's also one of the best value games (going for around $10-$15 without box in the U.S.).

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Ben"Speaking of McFur, Trevor McFur is still one of my favorite games for the Jag that I think gets unfairly labeled as a generic Star Fox clone.  I've gotten back into Jag collecting a bit (I sold mine in the 90's), and it's also one of the best value games (going for around $10-$15 without box in the U.S.).

Are you sure you're not thinking of Cybermorph? That's usually the one people call a Star Fox clone, and it can be picked up very cheap. If so then I agree as it is one of my favourite Jag games. As for Trevor Mcfur, it's not terrible but it's definitely not one of my favourites.

Ben

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "Ben"Speaking of McFur, Trevor McFur is still one of my favorite games for the Jag that I think gets unfairly labeled as a generic Star Fox clone.  I've gotten back into Jag collecting a bit (I sold mine in the 90's), and it's also one of the best value games (going for around $10-$15 without box in the U.S.).

Are you sure you're not thinking of Cybermorph? That's usually the one people call a Star Fox clone, and it can be picked up very cheap. If so then I agree as it is one of my favourite Jag games. As for Trevor Mcfur, it's not terrible but it's definitely not one of my favourites.

Nah, I meant Trevor McFur as in the character (not the game).  I've seen that game called a Star Fox clone by people judging the title and character, which is a Star Fox rip off, but doesn't reflect the gameplay of course.  I'm a pretty big shmup freak though, so I'm not sure I ever met a horizontal shooter I didn't like.   :21:

EDIT:  While we're talking about that game, I do have a question for people more knowledgable about the Jag than I am.  What is the reason for no music, is it to max out the performance a la Doom?  Also, I have one other question if someone knows:  Was this game originally just a generic shmup that was re-titled to draw on the success of Star Fox earlier in 93 or is that an urban legend?  Now that I'm thinking about this, he almost seems more like a Bucky O'hare rip off than Star Fox.  Look at Bucky and the planet select screen from his NES game:

....Although, this is reminiscent of Star Fox:

Shadowrunner

I'm not sure where Trevor Mcfur came from, and yeah as a character I get the Star Fox comparison. Someone around here should know.

Ben

One thing I will say, the main reason I like this game is the difficulty.  I would go so far as to say it's one of the more difficult horizontal shooters of that era.  Some of the backgrounds and bosses were pretty impressive for the time, I think the issues with music (or lack thereof) and poor sound effects are the biggest drawbacks.  It also has a unique, if somewhat bizarre, visual style that I kind of like.  People like different things though, I'm not a big Cybermorph guy myself, but I've never played the Jag CD sequel either (looking to pick up the CD add on down the road, I never had one back in the day).

Shadowrunner

I can't really argue with any of your reasons, it is a good looking game and difficult! I'm not the greatest at shooters, so for me the difficulty works against it and the sound is definitely lacking. Cybermorph isn't much to look at and pretty basic, but I like the simplicity of it and I find it fun. Different tastes :)

Gorf

Quote from: "Gone"
Quote from: "davyK"Have you ever had a notion to own a particular video game even though it is universally panned?

For some reason I feel that way about Defender 2000.

Don't own a Jaguar but it's probably what I would get after T2K and Raiden if I do ever get one.

Was there a Breakout remake too?

Defender 2000 wasn't universally panned, in fact most of the reviews of it were good (see Jaguar reviews thread)

Yes Breakout 2000, nice update.
I was disappointed with the both of these. They could have easily been so much more.
Defender Plus was much cooler than 2000. I think Minter lost sight of the surreal in the 2k
mode, where in the Plus mode he nailed it. I just did not like the city back drop of 2k mode.
I think it went to close to looking like a graphically fancy 2600 version.

Now B2k was neat in concept but I DESPISE when someone tries to fool you with 2D giving
the appearance of 3D. I thought the animation was way too choppy....not the frame rate, but
the animation of said frames.