The Atari Jaguar Thread

Started by zapiy, January 26, 2011, 00:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Possibly my favorite retro console, had some amazing games none more so than Aliens v Predator.

Box Art

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest4258

I actually saw one at a store once, I don't think it had any games though so I let it go. It came out in NA 1993 and EU 1994 I think. the commercial advertisment was, ehh...

This

http://youtu.be/nxuna944dls

TL

As many people know I am a massive Jaguar fanboy so I love this machine, I also have a complete commercial collection for it and near enough every homebrew (only missing 2 I think)

I really enjoy taking it to shows because most people have never even seen one let alone played on one. It seems to get more stick than its ever deserved and there are so many stupid lies and rumours told regarding this machine its not even funny.

The usual crap you get is that it's not really 64-bit - it's two 32-bit chips stuck together. Well if that's how you decide the "bitness of a console" by counting its chips the Jaguar is more than 64-bit:

64 (data bus) + 32 (DSP) + 64 (Blitter) + 64 (GPU) + 16 (Boot chip) = 240 bit  ;D

CeefaxOfDelphi

I played Tempest on one once and was impressed by that game - great fun.

But, ahem, it looks like a loo seat!

tomwaits

I'm a big fan of the Jaguar too, but I think it's more nostalgia for me...

The Jaguar games library is loaded with exclusives, but to me only about 10 of them are really worth playing. (Tempest 2000 and Protector SE are two of the best classic arcade updates ever!) A few of the multi-platform games were better on Jaguar too.

But, my affection for the system is mostly because it was really the last mainstream US/UK game console. And, the last gasp of the industry defining Atari from my childhood. :(

TrekMD

I didn't get into the Jaguar until a couple of years ago.  I had seen it in magazines on its hey day but had never purchased one.  Two years ago I figured it was time to give it a try and I'm quite happy I did.  It really love this console and would love to see more good homebrew games for it.  My favorite games are the 2000 updates for the classics for the Jaguar.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

A guy on You Tube has been uploading loads of technical demo's for the Jaguar, some of them are really good.

I especially like the second one here, it would make a great engine for a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXpLCcQ-g_E&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWUmt-7 ... ure=relmfu

Jag_Slave

The blobs demo is fun to mess with... We actually have been playing with how to implement it into a game using the same kind of idea...

TL

Quote from: "Jag_Slave"We actually have been playing with how to implement it into a game using the same kind of idea...

The blobs demo or the Mars demo? You could make a brilliant 3D version of Defender with that I reckon.

Jag_Slave

Ah true true! No we are just playing around with CRY lighting (which blobs uses).

TL

Quote from: "Jag_Slave"Ah true true! No we are just playing around with CRY lighting (which blobs uses).

Ah right brilliant! I reckon that blobs demo could be adapted to water or clouds, would look very cool.

Jag_Slave

Thats excatly what we are messing with! Water and clouds, fog, and windows ;)

TL

Quote from: "Jag_Slave"Thats excatly what we are messing with! Water and clouds, fog, and windows ;)

You know what they say, great minds think alike.

Jag_Slave

Well theres a whole boat load of them on JS2 today. Jesus

TL

Quote from: "Jag_Slave"Well theres a whole boat load of them on JS2 today. Jesus

I have been watching that train wreck for a while now  ;D