The Super Nintendo thread.

Started by nakamura, January 05, 2013, 23:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Oh yes, very different days.  No way to just "google" anything you wanted.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ScouseMouse

Hey guys, here is my latest slice of nostalgia as I serve up a bit of Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. I hope you like it, please feel free to give any feedback if there are things you think I need to work on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7sufM70K0Q

TrekMD

Here is Metal Jesus' buying guide for the SNES including the three console models, accessories, controllers and some  favorite games!

wyldephang

Awesome! I agree with all of the picks in that video. The Super Nintendo library is vast and full of top quality games. Several years back I embarked on a campaign to collect and play all the SNES titles that I didn't get to play when I was younger. In the course of doing this, I quickly rediscovered my love for the console, and my collection of about five cartridges grew to almost 100.
- Ryan

TrekMD

I don't have an SNES but I'm using the Retron N5 to play its games.  The games are good indeed.  :)

davyk

Just received a new RGB SCART cable for playing SNES on my CRT.

I've only ever played with s-video but my new CRT doesn't support it so had to upgrade to RGB.

s-video is very good but RGB gives me brighter more vibrant colours.

Loving it.  :)

Got it from retrogamingcables. I went for the universal one that works with NTSC and PAL in case I get an SFC in the future. My current SNES is modded for region and 50/60Hz selection.

Really nice build quality. A wee bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. The image is gorgeous. Would post a picture but my camera doesn't pick the CRT picture up very well.

demongene

Just bought one of these off ebay for big dollars. Wanted one for a while but never got it while it was in stock, so i had to go on ebat cause they are not making any more.

Garou

Was all about Mario kart for me love at first sight :p

TrekMD

In this video, John Hancock picks 10 games for the SNES that are still very affordable and common to find.

davyk

Mixed feelings on that list. I hated Super Star Wars - that first level was such a tedious slog. I got onto later levels but I had lost interest by then. Looks and sounds great though.

Super Off Road was a nice game but it's big drawback is it came out before the multi-tap - so it's only 2 player which hurts it a fair bit.

Surprised Super R-Type is considered cheap though. Plagued with slowdown. RType III is far better but that is expensive.

F-Zero, Pac Attack and Williams Arcade would be my picks out of that bunch. Super Off Road in reserve. :)

TrekMD

I'm not very familiar with the SNES.  I have a Retron 5 and only a few SNES games, with F-Zero among them.  I mainly wanted it for Mr. Do!  I love the SNES port of the game!

davyk

I was really into SNES when it was a contemporary console. Still really like it but I don't play it that much nowadays. Still have most of the games I got back then - all boxed with manual. Some of them quite valuable now but I wouldn't have the heart to sell them - so many great memories of multiplay with friends. :)

TrekMD

Collecting for the SNES is not cheap!  When I hear of a good title, I try to see if I can find it at a reasonable price CIB.  Nah, most are too expensive.  I guess people threw out the boxes back then more frequently for this system for some reason.

davyk

yeah...cardboard boxes too - unlike the MD games with their nice hard cases.

TrekMD