The Atari Jaguar Thread

Started by zapiy, January 26, 2011, 00:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Lets reach out to him for info?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I'm thinking the only way would be through You Tube. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

So, what do folks think of this selection of games for the venerable black cat?

Saturn

Guy talks like a robot ???

I agree for the most part but Rayman isn't at the top of my personal favorites list. And Super Burnout as the best Jaguar game? LOL Not hardly.
Where is Battlesphere/Gold, AvP, Wolfenstein 3D, Ultra Vortek, Pinball Fantasies, Ruiner Pinball, Breakout 2000, Zero 5 or Power Drive Rally?? I'd rate all of those the same or better than SB.

zapiy

Selecting the best games for any system is very subjective. But your right. Some of those are a little wild choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Well, if you look at the title of the video he doesn't say these are the top 5 games for the system but 5 great games for the system.  So, it is more a recommendation of titles to have in your collection.  You list some other excellent titles to own Saturn.  :)

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on July 31, 2016, 15:02:44 PM
Well, if you look at the title of the video he doesn't say these are the top 5 games for the system but 5 great games for the system.  So, it is more a recommendation of titles to have in your collection.  You list some other excellent titles to own Saturn.  :)

Ha, yep I noticed the title. That's why I had a problem with why he said it was the best. Showcasing 5 random great games is awesome but when the author throws a kink in his own material it should be pointed out for others for future reference so if they see another video by someone who doesn't actually know the difference between great and best, it can be avoided. Like robot guy did here.
While great is subjective as well, peeps that leave out even better games for lack of ownership or availability of usage or whichever reason(s) makes the entire transfer of information worthless. Those who wouldn't know any better may be able to garner something from the lack of entirety displayed in an effort like this but people who know better/more can follow up with important (subjective as well) titles that not only are less expensive but may offer a wider scope and replay value. He says, If money is no object, to add these titles to your collection. If money is actually no object, there are a great deal of games that can exploit that cliché a lot better and cause you to burn the red light a longer. Green light in Europe, I guess.

TrekMD

He seems to like those kind of game a lot too.  I noticed he mentions some sort of motorcycle game for just about every system he does some kind of list for.  I do see what you're saying, though.  He does say the game is probably the best and it really isn't the best game for the system. 

TrekMD

Quote from: Kidgamer on August 04, 2016, 17:46:05 PM
Does anybody knows if stormworks interactive have released Heretic?

Not as far as I know. 

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

I always thought the guys from GameSack had sort of ignored the Jaguar but, to my surprise, they did review the system a little over 4 years ago.  Here is their review of the system (you'll need to advance to 10 minutes to get to the Jaguar)...

Saturn

Wow, they were all about tearing the Jaguar a new one. Not cool and a lot of what they said was a tad... stupid lol.
It'd be nice if they reviewed some better games from the library instead of what they chose. Reminiscent of gaming mags intentionally downing whichever system/company didn't buy them dinner for the interview back in the day.

TrekMD

Yep, that's what I also thought.  They were very negative on the system and just repeated the same stuff everyone repeats.  They also ignored other titles that are really good like Rayman. 

Cryptic33

Same old, same old. I would love to put together some decent video reviews but I don't have the necessary recording equipment. A lot has happened recently for me on a personal level but, I have started putting together some short reviews. As far as the video above is concerned, it just fuels me to do more. I knew as soon as I saw the footage of Cybermorph that they were going to slate the system. Heck, they weren't even all that complementary about the SuperGrafx.

To my mind the SuperGrafx is a wickedly designed system, that oozes cool. Ok, the card system was probably not the best means of game storage but, as always, reviewers must put these things into perspective. What do we actually know about the intentions of console manufacturers, what was the design brief and marketing ideology? I can only comment on what I see and read and my gut feeling is this system was an attempt to potentially mass market a truly powerful and portable console. I may be guessing here but the card based games could have become a great way to trade with other players, just look at the success of the Pokemon franchise. Like many systems, a lot was "right" but the time was not.

That nicely brings me to the Jaguar. Much has been said about this little gem, but as some of you point out, much of the spiel is either misleading or misinformed. Cybermorph for example, was a Panther game transferred to the Jag to show off the free roaming, rendering and polygon pushing power of the Jag. To a point, it did just that. True, BattleMorph is much better, but that wasn't around when the Jag was launched. For me, I found Cybermorph a pleasant experience. Limited somewhat I'll grant you but, as a free game, what do they expect? The game was well received by the critics at the CES show and only later was it slowly derided as it became apparent how good the Jag could be with games like A v P. Yes, Rayman is another fine example of how programming was not the issue in terms of what the Jag is capable of and all systems have both good and bad games. You may disagree with me but I don't think Cybermorph was a bad game but, there are better ones.

I really must get down to reviewing properly.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Shadowrunner

Just saw this over at AA:

QuoteAbout Another World on Atari Jaguar

The production and distribution of Another World on Jaguar is over. Thank you to all who have trusted us for this ambitious project.
We thank Eric Chahi for his courtesy and Sébastien Briais for its conversion work on Jaguar and flash cartridges.

Time to start watching ebay for the inevitable auctions stating "very rare game no longer in production" and a huge price tag! I would imagine most people who really wanted a copy already have one but if not they are going to be paying a lot of money.