Amstrad CPC 464 original software bundle of free 10 games?

Started by MadCommodore, January 12, 2016, 07:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadCommodore

I was wondering if anyone had a list of all the 10 cassette games/utilities originally bundled free with every CPC computer in the UK. I can make out 9/10 as I have found a pic of an ebay listing but one is missing the cover and I can't remember what the title is. Tried googling and even Wikipedia doesn't list them all (surprise lol)

davyk

I had that pack. The one with no cover is called Fruit Machine. It was a pretty basic game but I had quite a bit of fun with it back in the day. My brother and cousins enjoyed it too and we competed for high scores with it.

Simon_G

I think I wore out the tapes for oh mummy and Harrier attack.

My first home computer back in the day, had a green screen monitor with it too.  Simple and fun times.

davyk

Yeah - they were probably the two best out of the bunch. Played a bit of Roland in the Caves and the Xanagram game actually wasn't bad for what it was.

Bridge-It was abysmal.

davyk

Saying that would only attract pity from US gamers.....I know which I'd prefer to play. :-

MadCommodore

I think Harrier Attack is one of the worst games on either CPC/C64 compared what was achieved by other games but I find it hilarious (and shocking) because it highlights how little NES sold in the EU and as almost all NES owners got it bundled or bought SMB3 so this is a stark reminder that some people should not try to rewrite history of gaming. One size does not fit all, consoles only sold before Colecovision and after Megadrive as far as the EU. Retro in the EU is all about 8bit and 16 bit computers that's all and for such a basic unremarkable simple game to outsell the 'saviour of gaming' is odd and ironic for people on this side of the Atlantic.

As for pity, I was very happy to have owned a C64, Amiga 1000 and Atari ST during the lifetime of the NES, all of those machines hosted some truly astonishing and very cheap (compared to cartridges) games of every genre (some not even possible on the 3.5mhz SNES without a DSP in the cart, like Lotus II on Amiga or even Mega Typhoon).

Times of Lore is every bit as awesome and ground breaking on the C64 for £10 (it's not a multiload on C64 tape) as the first Zelda for £50 on the NES.

Of course I can understand everyone has different tastes sure, my best friend bought a CPC (after his C64 died) on the basis of one game, Sorcery by Virgin Games. Retro seems just a matter of what people have re-discovered or forgotten as well as personal preference at the time (ie the 80s), I don't really like Sorcery but he is the kind of guy who spent ages and mapped out Tomb Raider 1 on his CPC whereas I just spent days improving my lap times on Colin McRae or Ridge Racer. But for many of my friends we all fell in love with 50hz super slick arcade games like Uridium and platformers didn't really grab us until Megadrive Castle of Illusion (a truly delicious platformer in gameplay/sonics/visuals IMO and probably the best as it converted me to being a fan of platformers....something Mario never managed before N64 era)

zapiy

Good point, different tastes is what drove the multitude of choices back then and to a certain extent that still exsisits today.. I was more like you, in that I liked to improve my hotlapping on Sega Rally and games alike, ultimately going back to the 80's was all about computers to me and something i aim to re-explorer in 2016.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

MadCommodore

Sega Rally is one of the few 3D games that gave me the same sort of feeling playing it as a young adult as I got when playing some of those iconic games on the Atari 2600 or Commodore 64 as a kid. I had a Japanese Saturn I'd bought second hand and got Sega Rally Japanese release that Xmas it was launched. Super smooth game!

What I remember though from the early to mid eighties was the sheer amount of 'out there' game ideas because pretty much all the games were written by other teenagers alone in the homes. I don't think we have that kind of off the wall type game ideas now because all children who have grown up to be youngsters coding iOS/Android games have a pre-conceived idea of gaming and what it should be, when some of my favourite weird 8 bit games were thought of the entire notion of what a home computer/video game should be was not yet defined.

Case in point, I had a C64 game idea called Kebab Shop Nights, and one level was walking down an alley way into the screen first person perspective and avoiding unsavoury characters so as not to be mugged of your kebab money. Using the VIC-II pixel scroll bits I plotted the swaying movement to simulate drunk walking etc etc. I think today imagination might be the only limit given current power of devices BUT the imagination is also more limited as people have been exposed to games already. When I was a teenager we were still actually inventing various genres IMO :)