The Sega Saturn Thread

Started by TL, May 17, 2012, 17:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Wish i could answer that, would love to know the answer to the question myself.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5468

Does anybody know if there are any issues using light guns with lcd or led tvs?

Rich451

Shadowrunner

Unfortunately they do not work with LCD or LED. The same goes for HD CRT TV's as well. If you want to use a light gun you need an old standard definition CRT. I've also had problems using a gun with my flat screen CRT, but others have said it works for them so not too sure about that one. In any case if you have an old CRT around don't get rid of it!

64bitRuss

I'm not digging Dragon Force at all. I find it confusing and unintuitive. I've never been a big rpg fan anyway, but once in awhile I've gotten into the crossover strategy/rpg genre, which this is supposed to be. I'm thinking about trading this one for another game I know I would play.

onthinice

Thanks for the heads up about Dragon Force, 64bitRuss. I have thought about purchasing it in the past but figured it would set on the shelf.

I have always been a fan of Working Designs as a game publisher but after the Sega CD and Turbo-Graphix 16 were discontinued my interest waned, it would have been nice to see Working Designs release Lunar for the Saturn.

64bitRuss

I think there is a Lunar game on the Saturn. It's Japanese though, it keeps showing up on my ebay feed.

Dragon Force must be a pretty good game though, just because I don't have the patience for it doesn't mean it's not good. I would rather have something like Guardian Heroes instead, because that's more my style of game. I do have GH on my X360, but I would love to have the real original. I'm going to see if I can find someone to swap even up on that for my Dragon Force.

Ben

Quote from: "obriethe1st"All the best to the merry people of the forum.Now i was hoping if someone might be able to help me out,for £25 i can get capcom generations 2 or princess crown and i quite fancy both games(obviously i know there is no language barrier to capcoms output)but is princess crown playable?I realise it has japanese text but is it fully playable?I find this game seems to have outstanding graphics but that is not enough,so i hope some of you have or have played it.
 Cheers and Happy New Year.

I apologize for missing this, I've been busy lately and hadn't kept up with the board, so I missed this one.  To answer your question, it is playable knowing no Japanese if you use a GameFAQs guide (and it's still very enjoyable).  http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/574569-p ... 3259  There are full dialogue translations on the GameFAQs page as well; the only thing that might give you trouble is the seeds you plant for items, there's no good way to know what they are without memorizing them.

Quote from: "64bitRuss"I think there is a Lunar game on the Saturn. It's Japanese though, it keeps showing up on my ebay feed.

I wanted to clear this up also.  The best 32 bit version of Lunar is Lunar Silver Star Story Complete: MPEG Edition for the Saturn (only in Japan), that takes advantage of the MPEG card add on.  I know that the MPEG card will work fine in a U.S. Saturn with the Action Replay 4M, I'm not sure about a UK one (I haven't kept up on their prices either).  Here is a video of it in action (keep in mind this game is not really playable if you don't have some familiarity with Japanese):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE33yYkKui8

One ironic thing, a lot of the U.S. gaming mags criticized the Saturn for its compressed video quality, when the (Japan only) MPEG card add on allowed it to run circles around the PS1/PSX, as that video shows.

obriethe1st

Ah thanks for that Ben i have just bought c/g 2 but i will most certainly get princess crown now i know i will be able to play it.On a different note i have j ust recieved metal slug in the post and i must say it is a bloody good game that will be getting a good playthrough when i have a spare hour or two.

obriethe1st

Just recieved a model 1 jp saturn to finally play outrun,outrun was the first game i bought for my saturn many years ago unfortunatly i didnt realise it didnt work with model 2 saturns(mines a this is cool model).However i finally bought a jp model 1 and have been playing the reason i got a saturn at last :-).

Plus im loving the arranged music

guest5526

I can testify that the MPEG card (Video CD card) was released in the UK, as I have one. I found it in the back of a Saturn I bought at a car boot sale a few years back, and it works perfectly without an Action Replay or anything else. Just pop it in and go! I've only ever used it to watch Video CDs though, as I don't think any PAL games were released that made use of it's abilities, which is a shame.

Quote from: "Ben"
Quote from: "obriethe1st"I wanted to clear this up also.  The best 32 bit version of Lunar is Lunar Silver Star Story Complete: MPEG Edition for the Saturn (only in Japan), that takes advantage of the MPEG card add on.  I know that the MPEG card will work fine in a U.S. Saturn with the Action Replay 4M, I'm not sure about a UK one (I haven't kept up on their prices either).  Here is a video of it in action (keep in mind this game is not really playable if you don't have some familiarity with Japanese):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE33yYkKui8

One ironic thing, a lot of the U.S. gaming mags criticized the Saturn for its compressed video quality, when the (Japan only) MPEG card add on allowed it to run circles around the PS1/PSX, as that video shows.

Akuza

Sadly I had a playstation not a saturn... Well I say sadly like that's a bad thing... Hmm...anyway!

My friend had a saturn and I thought it was a pretty good system at the time.

Over the recent couple of years though I've accrued a pretty big saturn collection, got a Saturn from a retro shop with about 3 games and purely by accident I ended up picking up another Saturn bundle which the guy threw in for an extra £15 with a NES bundle I was buying, where the saturn came with around 20 odd games.

Plus on top of that I've been seeing a few while out and about...

However, I do enjoy the system, to me it's one of those systems I look at and think I should love this system, but I just think it's good, maybe I think I should love it since I have so many games, but maybe it's because most of the games were available on playstation...   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Currently collecting:- PC Engine, mastersystem, mega drive and CDi.

hamie96

One thing I could never understand about the Saturn is why they put so many CPUs in the system. I love the design of the Saturn controller though. Overall, it's a system that was designed to fail, yet it still had great games (Panzer Dragoon Saga etc).

Ben

Quote from: "Akuza"However, I do enjoy the system, to me it's one of those systems I look at and think I should love this system, but I just think it's good, maybe I think I should love it since I have so many games, but maybe it's because most of the games were available on playstation...   
The Saturn actually has more exclusives than any other console from the 32 bit era, it's just that most were Japan only.

Anyway, I bumped this thread because I don't think anyone ever posted this:  A level of the cancelled Sonic X-Treme game leaked.
Quote"Sonic X-Treme" could have been a flagship game for Sega Saturn. Instead, Sega's fortunes turned, Ninendo and Sony took control of the console business, and this Sonic game never was.

Until now. We have a glimmer – but just a glimmer – of what could have been. A group of fans have resurrected the game. Well, sort of. They've resurrected a semi-playable level of the game, which they are releasing for free on Windows.

Users can explore the three-dimensional Sonic level,where he can spin with twists and turns not just sprint side-to-side. The partial level makes it clear that if it had been fully realized, "Sonic X-Treme" could have transformed the franchise from side-scrolling to a fully immersive 3D world.

You can't even pick up the rings on this rudimentary level, nor are there much in the way of enemies to vanquish. But the community that put this together will reportedly use it as the basis for further expansion. It may not be the real thing, but it could turn into something really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAWTkYsnWI

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture ... c-x-treme/

Shadowrunner

Looks good, nice to see this available to try.

Ben

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Looks good, nice to see this available to try.
More will be on the way, from what I've read.  Apparently the engine itself was finished, as were the levels (the estimate I read said 70% done) and most of the artwork and plot details have already leaked years ago, meaning it would be possible to "finish" this game 20 years later.  Also, the reason this is a true port is that Sega had partnered with NVIDIA (remember how the Saturn used quads and not polygons?) to make games that would run with their NV1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1 card and allow for easy PC ports (also remember all those Sega PC ports, i.e. Sonic R, Virtua Fighter, etc.).