Amiga CD32!

Started by Alberto 2K, October 26, 2012, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

I think Zapiy is in the position to get one of these..sounds like a good deal, what accessories do you have for it? any pictures always goes a long way :)

zapiy

Been offered it mate, sadly I can not justify spending more on retro gear at present.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

Been offered it mate, sadly I can not justify spending more on retro gear at present.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

The guys from GameSack have done a review of the CD32 so here is the video for your enjoyment...

[align=center:1kdg2wtd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J_f24jjVIE[/align:1kdg2wtd]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

This is definitely one I'll be watching, I'm curious to see their take on the Amiga cd32. As if Amigajay wants to step, they didn't have many NTSC versions of the console also to note that a lot of the games version original Amiga floppy disk based games, so a bit of background will be required about that too.

guest5733

Is there any advantage of a CD32 with floppy drive vs an a1200 other than the CD32's CD drive?

I remember years ago reading about some CD'S that were formatted to run amiga games from the CD32's. Anyone know about those?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WiggyDiggyPoo

Yo.

Not posted for a while but I think i can offer some input here.

The gamesack review annoyed me a little as although they were right in their criticism of the quality of the games against what the hardware was capable of and its relative obscurity I think they didnt really explore the reasons why. These were mainly around lazy developers unhindered by a lack of quality control  simply repackaging floppy disk games onto CD, and a pretty bizarre advertising campaign (below) coupled with the fact Commodore went bust almost immediately after launch.

So, Amiga + CD Drive or CD32?

Amiga + CD Drive every time. The CD32 does have 1 custom chip over the Amiga but so few games require it I think its a none issue and as a cost comparison an Amiga computer with CD is much more affordable.

That said if you want to pay, the CD32 does have expansions that were released (by 3rd parties, as if Commodore ever knew what to release lol) such as SX1 and SX32 turned it into a fully fledged Amiga computer though best of luck getting either of those boards for a reasonable price (£3.5k for a '030 SX32 on ebay at time of writing).

I do like the console, add a 3rd party pad such as the Competition Pro and its a simple and enjoyable to way to play many old Amiga games.

However even if the mishandled launch, manufacturers bankruptcy and woeful overall catalogue were not working against it I dont think it would have been more successful than it was. The Saturn and Playstation were rumoured and around the corner so console gamers were waiting for those, Amiga owners (like me!) were more interested in expanding their computer than buying a console.

I think the system, handled better and released earlier, could have been as successful other hybrid machines such as the Sharp X68000 but we will never know.

zapiy

Yeah the cost of a CD32 with a SX1 module will set you back the best part of £300 if your lucky. I want to be lucky lol but I think I need to settle for a nice A1200. :21:

AmigaJay

Wish i kept my SX-1, but sold it years ago to fund something at the time. I know back then CD drives for the A1200 werent compatible with all CD32 titles, i dont know if they are now, but yeah its cheaper to get a A1200 for a WHD retro machine, though if you just want some games a CD32 with those multidisk cds are a cheaper way to get into Amiga gaming.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Ben

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"The gamesack review annoyed me a little as although they were right in their criticism of the quality of the games against what the hardware was capable of and its relative obscurity I think they didnt really explore the reasons why.

I agree with you on that, but they're still 100 times better than the AVGN who will deliberately misrepresent consoles to make his videos work as rants.  I think the GameSack guys try to go into a console blind and that's good sometimes, sometimes not.  I remember a video awhile back where Dave got stuck in a game and gave up rather than look up info online, I'm not sure when they are trying to re-create experiencing a console like back in the day or are just tight on time.  Metal Jesus is probably my favorite reviewer because of that, he will consult people who know more than him about obscure consoles and try to give historical background.  He did one of the more even handed Jag reviews, hopefully he'll get around to the CD-32 at some point.

I enjoyed the video overall though, it's definitely the best CD32 review I've seen.

AmigaJay

Couldnt see a CD32 thread so i thought id start one.

Anyone own on of these and still using it from time to time?

Ive started a new blog to cover remaking some CD32 jewel case covers for the original games and the unofficial ports.

http://cd32covers.blogspot.co.uk

There is also links there to other CD32 sites inc the blog that is doing the unofficial downloads.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

Merged your thread with the original CD32 thread.  :) 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Great little site Justin , cheers for creating it :)

zapiy

Great work fella.. You are doing some great stuff again.. :113:

Arethius_RGC

Nice thanks for sharing.

Président of the Retro-gaming Connexion.