Sega Mega CD Thread

Started by dcultrapro, April 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorfarius

I love mine but I don't own a single original game for it  :19: Never really interested me to collect for it but I did just pick up a Sega Backup cart for £34 from Retro Towers.  The things huge and way bigger than the official one from years ago, means I can finally have a crack at the Shining Force series!

zapiy

I dug mine out and I aim to have a look into more games. Will pm you Keith. Also did you use the discount code on RT?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Keep us informed guys on your game choices.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

OK, since the GameSack video didn't seem to generate discussion, maybe this one will...

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on April 11, 2016, 02:50:12 AM
Check out this video from GameSack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKrOKjhVPY

Finally had a chance to watch this Game Sack episode. Never tried Shining Force CD although it sounds epic. I don't like RPGs much so have avoided it. May give it a go at some point.
Agree wholeheartedly about the difficulty in Soul Star. Got so tired of not finishing it I hacked it to have near invincibility. Incredible game and probably my favorite for the system. 8)
Final Fight CD is up there as well. In greatness and difficulty. Game Sack guy says that with practice it can be beat but you will use the continues. Seems no matter how much I practiced could never beat it. So, hacked it for invincibility too :D The visuals are stunning and this is my favorite port on comparable systems.
The Terminator always held its own imo. Great music and gameplay plus a feast for the eyes. A must have.

Had never heard of Devastator but it looks fun. Grabbing it now to see if some hacks can be done quickly for a play through 8)
Loved the complaints about Cliff Hanger. Truly difficult game (exclusive snowboarding stages) but I fixed those with hacks too. One of my top 4 games for the Sega CD 8)
Battlecorps looks nice. Reminds me of Iron Soldier a bit. Haven't played it before but going to give it a spin soon.
The video used from Silpheed was awesome. I take it they didn't like the game but it's another I got tired of losing at and hacked. Wanted to see/know what was next! Not cool being on rails but at the time, that was pretty standard.
Android Assault was another tough one but I fixed that too. Excellent gameplay.
He called Ninja Warriors but me and a friend blew loads of money on the arcade for this way back. I was elated when I found it on this system. As hard as I remembered it being but a few small changes and viola, no prob.

Dungeon Explorer seems fun. Going to play this one and see if there's anything I can do to blaze right through. Never was much into Gauntlet or understood what was so great about it but this one sure is purty :p
Ha, BC Racers, the one I could never hack. Played this game quite a bit and hold it with high regard. Anyone ever beat it?
Formula One looks like World Tour Racing for the Jaguar. His comment about the controls taking a lot of getting used to is enough to easily steer me in the other direction. See what I did there? ;)
Adventures of Batman and Robin. GS guy said it's extremely hard to win at and he's definitely right about that. Took weeks for me to get nowhere so added that baby to the list and finally 'finished' it.
Popful Mail has legions of supporters but was never enticing to me. I'm probably missing out on a ton of fun but if it doesn't strike me the right way right away, I stay away. Bad rule of thumb for diversity but it's usually spot on with taste.

Eye of the Beholder always looked like crap to me. This min-review didn't help sway my opinion either. Anyone even actually own this?
Sonic CD is my personal best for the entire franchise. Couldn't get all the hacks I'd wanted but have enough rings to stay alive and enter special zones so that's good enough. While tough, I think it's SUPER FUN 8) 8) 8)
And what SCD library would be complete without Keio Flying Squadron? Seriously, I thought this game was for little girls when I first saw it. But, wanting to know what was at the end, quickly pounded it with some edits to make it more playable. While briefly entertaining, the ending was nothing to write home about :P
Robo Aleste was always a good one for a quick play. The backdrop/ground look nice and though there are too many enemies at any given time for my taste, it handles well and can be frantic and exciting. Wanted to see the end so changed a few bytes here and there to make it happen 8)
Tried to play Panic once and two minutes in, slapped the sh*t out of myself for wasting an extra minute and 50 seconds. Not for me.
Batman Returns, another one I tried diligently to hack but couldn't. Too bad too. Would've liked to have disabled that stupid timer right off the bat to get to the 2nd level. At least that way could've gotten some enjoyment out of this beast. Maybe.
Road Avenger got pretty good marks here. I never cared for the FMV games but may try this out again at some point.

Liked the end of the video when Joe had FMVbola LOL. That was classic.

A lot of these are great games and a few are stinkers but if you want to explore them easier, take a look at my list of hacks and implement them to make it easier. Heck, you can even burn the resulting file to cd and play the hacked version on real hardware like I did. No protection back then and it's crazy to tear through Soul Star or Final Fight CD on the machine with nothing able to hurt you ;D

(was it really necessary for me to link to the hacks thread 11 times? ;))

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on July 31, 2016, 00:52:40 AM
OK, since the GameSack video didn't seem to generate discussion, maybe this one will...

Those are some great ones. I haven't played Road Rash for an extended period because I thought it looked terrible in comparison to what the hardware could do. He says it uses the engine from the Genesis version which would explain a lot. It may be fun but never appealed to me. Maybe I'll give it a go and see if I can feel otherwise about it. 8)

TrekMD

I'm sorry, Saturn, were you trying to point folks to some hacks on your dissertation for the Sega CD games video from GameSack?  ;)  That is some writing up you did there!  Lots of interesting comments.  I only have some of these titles they listed here.  Robo Aleste is one of them that I enjoy playing.  Maybe I should check your byte-slimmed version! 

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on August 01, 2016, 22:52:14 PM
I'm sorry, Saturn, were you trying to point folks to some hacks on your dissertation for the Sega CD games video from GameSack?  ;) 

Why, yes indeed :) Hoping that if anyone who has played and given up like I did so frequently, is able to 'tweak' the games a little to make them more fun. I'm all about getting enjoyment out of games and like passing along hope to others. This system is unique and a TON of fun can be had from it. While mostly overlooked in today's gaming world by all this new fangled PS4 and XBOX One nonsense, there are ways to squeeze some serious gaming out of this beauty 8)

Quote from: TrekMD on August 01, 2016, 22:52:14 PMThat is some writing up you did there!  Lots of interesting comments.
Thanks!
Actually had enough down time at work today to watch it in full so I was typing in another window while it was playing. It was pretty long which is why I hadn't viewed it yet. Your comment on the next post that it hadn't generated discussion made me sad so I went through and typed what I thought live. Trust me, if I'd had time to watch it sooner I would have added to the mix. Didn't want to break it into pieces either. I like the video and it introduced me to several titles I haven't heard of and some that need to be revisited so thanks for linking it. Just wish I had time to interact while it's fresh off the pan 8) (no idea. Pan? wth)

Quote from: TrekMD on August 01, 2016, 22:52:14 PMI only have some of these titles they listed here.  Robo Aleste is one of them that I enjoy playing.  Maybe I should check your byte-slimmed version! 

Well, the Infinite Lives hack is the best way to go. Invulnerability doesn't allow weapon upgrades so your stuck with a pea shooter the whole time. At least with Inf. Lives you can catch your upgrades after being destroyed. Pretty much a powerhouse of destruction all the way to the end. I know that makes it too easy but considering how long this game is and what a daunting task it is in the later levels, to me this is a welcomed addition. :)

TrekMD

Ah, no wonder you were able to do such a nice write up.  I should do the same thing in the future.  Watch on the tablet and type up stuff on the computer.  :)  Thanks for the idea and for making the effort!

zapiy

Cracking feedback fella. This is what a forum is all about. Love reading stuff like that. Will feedback my thoughts abit later on the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Had a real soft spot for the Sega CD ,especially when an blush translation of Konami's amazing hit Policenauts showed up, a great experience really nay enjoyed on the SegaCD.

Also a great write up there Saturn, spot on the dollar on all of it, a great read thanks for efforts.

Saturn

Thanks amigos. Only wish there more time in the day to invest like that. Usually it's quick visits with quick responses. Love some Sega CD though!
Wanted to input more out of respect 8)

TrekMD

Thought I'd share this video I just watched.  What does everyone think of this selection of games for the Sega CD?

Saturn

That's a knockout list and although mine would be in a different order, it's certainly on par imho.
Great to see some titles make the list that aren't the 'regulars'.
I'd have to have Soul Star in the top 3 though. That game uses the most of what the system had to offer and is great fun on top of it. 8)