Best platformers?

Started by Bobinator, October 14, 2012, 03:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"Bonk is might favorite with Pac Land right behind. I agree about Super Mario 2. It has enough changes to make it playable.

Only got Bonk for the TurboGrafx quite recently but I do think it's a really good game.

I am a big fan of Pac-Land, especially the arcade perfect Lynx version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhAxcjkRAk

Bobinator

By the way, thread, I played Impossible Mission 2025 this morning.

This is just a speculative guess here, but the reason nobody talks about may or may not have to do with the fact that nobody knows what in the bloody hell you're supposed to be DOING.

Mire Mare

I got the Bonk games on the VC and have really enjoyed playing them.

Pac-Land is brilliant. It's utterly unoffensive and for me captures the look of the 80s cartoon very well indeed.  I only ever played it in the arcade and on the c64. On the c64 I could never get further than the first really long springboard jump over huge pool of water.  No matter how hard or fast I waggled, or pressed the button - can't remember which, I always landed in the water inches from landing safely.  It was great fun up until this point!

I don't think I'd heard Impossible Mission 2025 until this thread. It looks like it was released on machines I didn't have back in 94. IM2 wasn't as good as the original by a long way. It was overly complicated and lost the simplicity and flow of the gameplay that made the first game fun and gave it a unique feel and atmosphere.

I'll definitely have to check out Electrocop now.  I never had this game when I had a Lynx.  I may have to get another Lynx 2!

TL

Here is the Amiga CD32 version of Impossible Mission 2025:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogs-lnZu_N4

TrekMD

So, now that I have a Genesis I've discovered some games that are excellent.  One of them is this excellent platformer, Blades of Vengeance. 

[align=center:2bu8xi6f]Mega Drive Longplay [090] Blades Of Vengeance[/align:2bu8xi6f]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Hmmm, I wouldn't really call that a platformer its more of a hack and slash style arcade adventure like Rygar, Rastan and Legendary Axe.

TrekMD

Isn't that a type of platformer? 

Ben

I thought I'd throw out a couple of really underrated ones for the Megadrive/Genesis.  First up is the port of Toki, which I never played in the arcade: Toki Going Ape Spit (MD/Genesis) - Boss run and the other (and better game) is Monster World IV:  Wonder Boy in Monster World 4/IV (SEGA GENESIS) Part 1

Both of those are really underrated MD games and worth a play, I think.

TrekMD

Toki is very good.  I got that game recently.  :)

TL

[align=center:2l3xxxm4]As I said earlier, I am not a massive fan of platformers but always liked the Wonder Boy games, especially Wonder Boy 3 on the Mega Drive - superb game!

Master System Longplay [051] Wonder Boy

Wonderboy in monsterland - Atari st

Wonder Boy III : Monster Lair, megadrive[/align:2l3xxxm4]

TrekMD

These are indeed fun games to play.  I've only played the first Wonder Boy, though, so looks like I need to get the others.  :)

TrekMD

Here is another fun (and somewhat crazy) platformer for the Genesis/MD.  The translated version of the original Japanese game is the best version to play.

[align=center:2ltpt74g]Dynamite Headdy Walkthrough[/align:2ltpt74g]

onthinice

Never played it but I like how colorful the game is and the demo moves fast.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Never played it but I like how colorful the game is and the demo moves fast.
You should check it out.  Definitely worth playing.  :)

onthinice

Wonder if I can get it to work on my AtGames Sega Genesis with the multi-cart adaptor. Worth trying it out.