Favourite two player games.

Started by zapiy, December 12, 2012, 20:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "sloan"When you say that NES Xenophobe is one of the worst, on what do you base that claim? Less aliens per screen? Smoother screen transitioning?

Horrible colours, awful flickery sprites, less aliens, poor animation and crap sound. It's still a good game don't get me wrong when it comes down to actually playability, it's just very poor when compared to the other versions.

sloan

I know what you mean about less aliens and flickery visuals, but to me that lends to the look and feel of NES Xenophobe. Now, if I could only get my hands on a ST..

TrekMD

Here is a game that is lots of fun if played against another person!  Nebula Commander for the Vectrex.  While it can be played against the AI, it just plays too well and gets you in a short time.  Against someone else, though, the game is really competitive and fun.

[align=center:1v7ng70l]Nebula Commander for the Vectrex[/align:1v7ng70l]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

The three Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge games were brilliant in split screen 2-player

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (Atari ST)

But was even cooler was that on the second game you could link up two computers together to play it, not just two of the same machine though - it also allowed you to connect an Atari ST to an Amiga!!!

Amiga 500 & ATARI 520ST+ Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2 RS-232 Multiplayer

TrekMD

That's kinda nifty.  Having the ability to get two different computers to connect to play a game sounds like really cool idea.

sloan

Early 8-bit games were often two-player only. VCS had some enjoyable ones like these:

Atari 2600 Maze AKA Slot Racers 1978 Sears !

Combat (Atari 2600 - 1977)

TrekMD

I've never played Slot Racers, though I've heard of it. 

sloan

It kind of grows on you the more you play it. The trick is to think ahead about how your shots will wrap back around the islands, and how you can get your opponent by surprise.

TL

Quote from: "sloan"It kind of grows on you the more you play it. The trick is to think ahead about how your shots will wrap back around the islands, and how you can get your opponent by surprise.

It probably the worst looking game released for the 2600 but can be a lot of fun with two players.

TrekMD

Ms. Pac-Man is always a great game to play but I just discovered something really cool about the Sega Genesis/MD version - has a two player cooperative mode where the players can play as Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man at the same time.  That is just awesome and an interestig new mechanic for the game.

[align=center:2cx7s6d0]Let's Play Ms. Pac-Man (Sega Genesis) Extra: Self Co-op Score Attack Challenge[/align:2cx7s6d0]

TL

Yes! That mode is great fun and a really welcome addition to the game!  :16:

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Yes! That mode is great fun and a really welcome addition to the game!  :16:

Yes it is!  Whoever came up with the idea was a genius!

sloan

I have heard that the Tengen version of Tetris on NES has 2-player co-op play as well.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"I have heard that the Tengen version of Tetris on NES has 2-player co-op play as well.

I have that version and it indeed does have the co-op mode...

[align=center:336eoayq]Co-op mode in Tengen Tetris (NES)[/align:336eoayq]