The Sony PSP Thread

Started by Rogue Trooper, September 21, 2013, 20:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

The retro compilations is one of the things I really love about the PSP.  I can have the best of both worlds with this handheld.  One of my most favorite:

[align=center:csd8sv9f]Cyber Watch TV - Activision: Hits Remixed [gameplay][PSP][/align:csd8sv9f]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Quote from: "TrekMD"The retro compilations is one of the things I really love about the PSP.  I can have the best of both worlds with this handheld.  One of my most favorite:

[align=center:2zu33q8i]Cyber Watch TV - Activision: Hits Remixed [gameplay][PSP][/align:2zu33q8i]
Me too! I am still finding out just how many retro comps they made. Glad Sony did not do a couple and quit. The ones I own have really been done well.

TrekMD

Then there is this...

[align=center:1al1ydc1]CGR UK Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Collection for PSP[/align:1al1ydc1]

Rogue Trooper

Retro comp wise i've picked up:

E.A Replay
Midway Arcade Treasures:Extended Play.
Sega MD Collection.
Namco Museum Battle Collection.
Powerstone Collection.
Capcom:Classics Colection (Remixed and also:Reloaded), plus:Puzzle World.
Metal Slug Anthology
SNK Arcade Classics 0
Tatio Legends Power Up.
Tatio Memories Pocket (Jap) has Bubble Bobble on it, reason i bought.
Paridous Portable.
Star Soldier.

That's just the Retro comps...and folks on internet were saying PSP had no good games?

:-)

Bit of PSP triva:

Mercury actually started life as nothing more than a PS2 physics demo, PSP was annouced and someone thought, ahhh! we could use this in a smart little PSP game.

TrekMD

I have no idea what people were looking for in the PSP library.  It has a lot of good games.  The compilations alone are superb.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "TrekMD"I have no idea what people were looking for in the PSP library.  It has a lot of good games.  The compilations alone are superb.

If Sony got just 1 thing right, from a gaming point of view with PSP..it was fact it's region-free.

Some of the Jap.comps (pricey as they may be) have been fantastic.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "TrekMD"I have no idea what people were looking for in the PSP library.  It has a lot of good games.  The compilations alone are superb.

If Sony got just 1 thing right, from a gaming point of view with PSP..it was fact it's region-free.

Some of the Jap.comps (pricey as they may be) have been fantastic.

I don't have any Japanese compilations but I do have one Japanese games based on Mazinger, etc.  :)

Rogue Trooper

Last Jap Import on PSP i bought (yet to try as well...)

Gunhound Ex.Just looked like my 'bag'.

onthinice

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Retro comp wise i've picked up:

E.A Replay
Midway Arcade Treasures:Extended Play.
Sega MD Collection.
Namco Museum Battle Collection.
Powerstone Collection.
Capcom:Classics Colection (Remixed and also:Reloaded), plus:Puzzle World.
Metal Slug Anthology
SNK Arcade Classics 0
Tatio Legends Power Up.
Tatio Memories Pocket (Jap) has Bubble Bobble on it, reason i bought.
Paridous Portable.
Star Soldier.

That's just the Retro comps...and folks on internet were saying PSP had no good games?

Bit of PSP triva:

Mercury actually started life as nothing more than a PS2 physics demo, PSP was annouced and someone thought, ahhh! we could use this in a smart little PSP game.

PSP goodness! Thanks for the trivia!

guest4770

Don't forget Gradius Collection....

That list is exactly why the PSP is awesome... long haul flights FLY by.

Rogue Trooper

Thought i'd continue with a theme i touched on earlier, with Chilli Con Carnage having twice as many enemies on screen as the PS2 game (Total Carnage) and start looking at other PSP games that are 'enhanced' in some way over PS2 versions.

PSP often seen as having 'cutdown' versions of it's bigger Brothers games, but it's clearly not always the case....

Take Gun for example:  i love Neversoft's western on Xbox, picked up the PSP version and whilst the horses that were hanging around itching to be stolen are gone (you just get a horse of your own), Rebellion who did the PSP version saw fit to add 5 new missions to extend the story, extra weapons:throwing Knifes and remote denonated mines, plus a stack of mini-quests, plus there's a multi-player mode, allowing upto 6-players to shoot it out in your usual deathmatch/capture the flag modes.

Also the poker playing now also turns up in multi-player and mini-games, not just the main quest stuff.

Now if only all conversions were handled with such thought.....

Prince Of Persia:Rival Swords had multiplayer mode (timed vesus races), so they took the chariot races from the console versions, not only expanded on them, but them on main menu, so you could jump straight to them.

Rogue Trooper

Mark Cale, talking to media just after Gottieb Pinball Classics had launched on PSP (and was 1st PSP game to use the 'game-sharing' tech.) said System 3 had plans to resurrect Epyx's 'Games' series, starting off with California Games.Also planeed for PSP were new versions of:IK and The Last Ninja.

All would make use of the game sharing tech, so groups of PSP owners could have multi-player games, with only 1 copy of the game needed.

Sadly nothing came of it...but then, this was System 3 here.....

TrekMD

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Mark Cale, talking to media just after Gottieb Pinball Classics had launched on PSP (and was 1st PSP game to use the 'game-sharing' tech.) said System 3 had plans to resurrect Epyx's 'Games' series, starting off with California Games.Also planeed for PSP were new versions of:IK and The Last Ninja.

All would make use of the game sharing tech, so groups of PSP owners could have multi-player games, with only 1 copy of the game needed.

Sadly nothing came of it...but then, this was System 3 here.....

Having the ability for multiple players to play with only one player having the game would have been cool.  I wonder if the reason for this not happening was financial (not as many copies of the game would sell due to the sharing ability) or something else.

Rogue Trooper

Cale did mention there were technical limits (something about how much data could be transfered at any given time and at what speeds), but i seem to recal a PSP magazine quite regularly showed you how to play one of the PSP Wipeout games on 2 machines with just 1 copy of the game.

Know likes of Pure were quite happy to guide you through running homebrew/CFW on PSP and how to play any PSP game online using internet tunneling, which might explain why it was'nt long in production, going from PSP specific to PSP+PS3 then dissapearing.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Cale did mention there were technical limits (something about how much data could be transfered at any given time and at what speeds), but i seem to recal a PSP magazine quite regularly showed you how to play one of the PSP Wipeout games on 2 machines with just 1 copy of the game.

Know likes of Pure were quite happy to guide you through running homebrew/CFW on PSP and how to play any PSP game online using internet tunneling, which might explain why it was'nt long in production, going from PSP specific to PSP+PS3 then dissapearing.

Interesting!