Blitz Games Studios ceases trading after 23 years

Started by Greyfox, September 12, 2013, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

[align=center:2ess3erg][/align:2ess3erg]
175 jobs have today been lost following the sad news that UK development stalwart Blitz Games has ceased trading.

The company, which houses a number of divisions, was founded by the Oliver twins Andrew and Philip in 1990.

In slightly better news, two of the studio's current projects are said to be financially sustainable and will be continued by the formation of a new company, safeguarding around 50 jobs in the process.

Oxford developer Rebellion is also in what are described as "close talks" with Blitz to hire some of those affected.

"Existing management have made every effort to seek avenues for new contracts and external investment but have been unable to secure enough funds to sustain the business in its current form," a statement read.

Philip Oliver added: "We have managed to weather numerous storms over the last two decades that have sadly seen the demise of many of our friends and colleagues across the industry, but the run of problems we've had to face over the last year is unlike any we've seen before. Frustrations with clients, the global economic crisis, and more than our fair share of simple bad luck have all conspired against us and we are no longer able to continue trading.

"It has been an absolute honour to lead such an extraordinary group of highly talented people who have consistently pushed boundaries and created amazing games that we've been hugely proud of. We've been humbled by the loyalty and commitment that they've all shown over the last 23 years and we would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all of our staff, past and present, for their years of loyalty, their creative drive and their commitment to Blitz and to us.

"We have done all that we can to make Blitz a success, and we have come frustratingly close in recent months. Major clients have felt unable to commit to investment in significant projects, others have changed strategy whilst appearing committed, and others have been slow to commit at all – all of these things have continued to hurt our finances. We have also sustained the business for some time with our personal savings but even those reserves have now been exhausted.

"We'd like to publicly thank Chris and Jason Kingsley from Rebellion for their support and friendship during this time – they are acting incredibly honourably and helping us to find new roles for as many of our staff as possible. They began their careers in games at around the same time we did and epitomise the positive and supportive culture of long-standing game developers in the UK.

"We wish the very best of luck to all the staff who are sadly leaving us today and thank them again for their drive, creativity and enthusiasm. They, like us, are passionate about games, and we call on the rest of the industry to capture their passion and continue the careers of some of the most talented young creatives in the country."

Best wishes to all those affected by today's news.

DreamcastRIP

Here's the list of the games they've published over the years according to Wikipedia,

SpongeBob's Surf & Skate Roadtrip (2011)
    Puss in Boots (2011)
    Michael Phelps: Push the Limit (2011)
    Fantastic Pets (2011)
    Yoostar 2 (2011)
    All Star Karate (2010)
    Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (2010)
    The Biggest Loser Challenge (2010)
    iCarly (2009)
    Karaoke Revolution (2009)
    Biggest Loser (2009)
    Bratz Girlz Really Rock (2008)
    Tak and the Guardians of Gross (2008)
    Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore (2008)
    Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (2007)
    Sneak King (2006)
    PocketBike Racer (2006)
    Big Bumpin' (2006)
    SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
    Bratz: Forever Diamondz (2006)
    Bratz: Rock Angelz (2005)
    Pac-Man World 3 (2005)
    The Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown (2004)
    Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (2004)
    The Fairly OddParents: Breakin' Da Rules (2003)
    Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (2003)
    Taz: Wanted (2002)
    Zapper: One Wicked Cricket (2002)
    Fusion Frenzy (2001)
    Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge (2000)
    Action Man: Operation Extreme (2000)
    WarGames: Defcon 1 (1998)
    Glover (1998)

With such a lineup I'm surprised they've lasted this long. I think there's one, possibly two, games off that entire list that I'd bother playing... and, no, it's not Bratz Girlz Really Rock!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Like DC said, they havn't really made anything of note. Good to see Rebellion step in though and help out.

Shadowrunner

I never like to see this kind of thing happen so in that regard it's too bad.
On the other hand, like DC and Laird already said, those are some terrible games they made! Is there anything on that list that isn't a licensed game? Perhaps if they had tried making some original games this wouldn't have happened.

Vyothric

Who?

What an amazing..................ly crap list of "games".

I have actually played Glover, but still. Who?

DreamcastRIP

To be fair I don't think us old farts are the target market for all those Barbie, Bratz, Karaoke and Spongebob Squarepants games!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

guest4770

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"To be fair I don't think us old farts are the target market for all those Barbie, Bratz, Karaoke and Spongebob Squarepants games!

Although some of us could do with "the biggest loser challenge"

DreamcastRIP

onthinice

Sad news!

I have two daughters, who love the Bratz games. I would get asked to help with a point in the games. Surprisingly they had very good depth and replay value.

Not my choice of titles but it allowed me to enjoy watching them play video games. That was priceless.

Burger King games were fun for awhile.