SNK Neo Geo Thread

Started by TrekMD, August 25, 2013, 22:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Seems we have threads for the Neo Geo X and the Neo Geo games but not a thread about the Neo Geo AES console.  So, Here is a review of the console to get things started...

[align=center:6a2b8h1e]NEO-GEO AES Review[/align:6a2b8h1e]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

dougtitchmarsh

I remember the first time I saw the Neo Geo, I had a Megadrive at the time and I was out browsing game shops for something new. I saw the Neo Geo in one of the shops being demo'd and I remember being blown away by it. The I as I recall I was even more blown away by the price of the console and the games and decided against buying one.
I'd still like to own one now but they are still too much of a luxury price. See this Ebay link for details  :o
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Alberto 2K

It was about time! :13:

I was really happy with the SNES but I always wanted to have a Neo Geo AES, it was the arcade at home, nothing could be better. Now it's my favorite console without any doubt. :o
[/quote]

Nah, I bought one of these and spent less than $500 including shipping some months ago, with patience everything pops at a decent price. That guy is just a speculator, sadly there are tons of them selling Neo Geo items.

You can buy an AES for about 200€ including one common game but I'd recommned everybody to look for a MVS, pure RGB, stereo depending on the board model and much more affordable game prices. MVS it's a win-win if you're a gamer, AES is just for collectors with deep pockets.
Some of the best games are relatively cheap on the AES tough, Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special, some KOF etc... I have most of my favorite games on the AES and the rest on MVS. :)
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TrekMD

Alberto, will the MVS play the AES games?

TL

I would remove AES from the thread title, make it a thread for all 3 versions of the Neo Geo (CD included)

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "TrekMD"Alberto, will the MVS play the AES games?
No, the boards are a bit different but there are converters that allow to play MVS carts on the AES, they're not cheap but are a good option as the AES games are more expensive most of the times. :)

Quote from: "The Laird"I would remove AES from the thread title, make it a thread for all 3 versions of the Neo Geo (CD included)
Yes, Neo Geo is all, AES, MVS or CD, just different formats.

Shadowrunner

I also remember seeing these in a couple stores when I was young. Obviously the price put it out of my reach so I would go to the arcade and play Neo Geo games.
I have a Neo Geo CD now though and around 30 games so it's nice to be able to play these games at home. My only complaint would be the single speed CD drive. Most games are okay but some of the larger KOF games are almost unplayable for me with the excessive load times before every match.

TrekMD

I've changed the topic header to allow for all the NeoGeo consoles.  Here's a review of the NeoGeo CD.  Looks like it's not the best NeoGeo to get.

[align=center:34elngwj]Classic Game Room HD - NEO-GEO CD console review[/align:34elngwj]

Alberto 2K

The Neo Geo CD is not a bad console when playing low meg games, as Shadowrunner says playing on it a KOF or Last Blade is a test of patience.

The best thing is the games are affordable.

I like it but mainly because it was my first Neo Geo and have really good memories, back then loading times wasn't a big problem for me but now I rarely use it. Some arranged sondtracks are great and its pad is the best one I tried for fighting games, shame they're fragile. :)

tomwaits

The Neo Geo CD also has a few quality exclusives like Crossed Swords 2 and Ironclad ($$$). Some games also had extra content/modes added for the CD versions like Voltage Fighter Cowcaizer and the Metal Slug games. I got the NGCD back when it was still at retail since it was the only affordable option.

A consolized MVS or supergun is the best way to play non-emulated Neo Geo though. A single slot motherboard and Vogatek supergun is a simple and cheap entry platform. MVS carts are cheap... starting at $10 and even the rarest of MVS games max out at around $250.  The quality AES titles can cost thousands because they're 'collectibles'. And, since MVS arcade carts are running the exact same code as the AES home carts, they both support either arcade or home cart mode. Just add a unibios and toggle to AES mode if you really want the home cart experience.

64bitRuss

I had quite a bit of Neo Geo AES stuff at one point, probably about $4000 worth, with a super-modded console and a handful of the expensive carts, some were conversions. Sold it all to buy a Nissan 350Z, then sold that later on lol. Anyway, had some fun with the system for years, but am glad to not be associated with the Neo Geo community anymore, which is overrun with straight up communist douchebags.

TrekMD

Quote from: "64bitRuss"Anyway, had some fun with the system for years, but am glad to not be associated with the Neo Geo community anymore, which is overrun with straight up communist douchebags.

Hmm, where have I heard that before?

64bitRuss

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "64bitRuss"Anyway, had some fun with the system for years, but am glad to not be associated with the Neo Geo community anymore, which is overrun with straight up communist douchebags.

Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Not sure but when I say that about NG.com, I mean for real, unabashed hammer and sickle flag waving communists. Not just hyperbole.

avick

I'm with 64bitRuss on that.  It's a real niche community, and newcomers aren't welcome.  You're expected to post tons of trash, rather than worthwhile content.  Back on subject, there are a few decent multi-carts for the MVS, although they do include a bunch of hacks and multiple versions of the same title, but it's a cheap way to establish your collection and decide which titles are worth owning the original of.  The arcade stick is a thing of beauty - I use that across all three of my NG's, although I do have a fondness for the CD pad.  I did start collecting AES titles, but to be honest, they're not good value when you compare it to the cost of MVS carts.  As its been pointed out, both carts contain the same code, and a Universe BIOS will allow you to switch between home and arcade modes.  My 4-slot is an easy conversion (the BIOS is socketed), but my soldering skills are not quite up to the task on the AES!!

TrekMD

For those unfamiliar with the NeoGeo MVS, here's a video review of the arcade machine.  Those carts are huge!

[align=center:2e5iewwm]Classic Game Room - NEO-GEO MVS arcade machine review[/align:2e5iewwm]