Frenzy - New Atari 7800 Homebrew!

Started by TL, June 28, 2013, 21:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1u94nw0f][size=720][font=impact:1u94nw0f]FRENZY[/font:1u94nw0f][/size][/align:1u94nw0f]

Courtesy of Bob "PacManPlus" DeCrescenzo:

Hi guys:

I've actually been working on this as well...  Started from scratch after finding the algorithm for drawing the mazes on line. I can't promise this will be completed, as it all rides on the CPU time it takes to do all of the necessary collision detection.

Will have four types of play:
- Single player
- Two player alternating
- Two player cooperative
- Two player competitive

Some things that will be different from the arcade:
- The 'flash' of the player's death animation is a bit slower (from 2 frames to 4 frames per change)  I'm trying to
  save CPU time, and I don't want to call another routine just for that (the player moves 1 of every 4 frames)
- The robots movement speed will be slightly different from the arcade, but like the arcade, no robots ever
  move faster than the player (they start out slow, and eventually only become as fast as the player in either   
  case).
- The shrapnel from the robot explosions will be shaped differently

To do:
- Object to Object collision check (other than shots and walls)
- Be able to move to next room
- Evil Otto
- The 'Animated' rooms for Frenzy (i.e. Big Otto, Robot Factory, Computer Control, Power Plant)
- Sound

Still not sure how to handle dual player mode when one person leaves the room and the other is still there.  Also, how to introduce them in the next room.

This is the difference between Two Player Cooperative, and Two Player Competitive:
- You get 80 points for shooting the other player in either mode
- You share the score and lives pool in cooperative mode
- You do not get points for non player initiated events (i.e. evil otto kills robot or they shoot each other) in   
  competitive mode
- Evil Otto / Robots go after the closest player in either mode.
- The player to kill the last robot in the room gets the bonus points in competitive mode

What stopped development on this the last time I started it (I'm already farther than I was then) was the CPU time it took to do all of those collision checks.  I have an idea about that now that I'm going to try.  Also, handling things on different frames will be a help.  Being that a player moves once every 4 frames, I have the time split that way:

Frame 1 - player 1
Frame 2 - even numbered robot
Frame 3 - player 2 (if active)
Frame 4 - odd numbered robot

Shots are processed every frame.  Will be putting evil otto in there somewhere.

I will post a bin once I get a little farther.

Thanks,
Bob

[align=center:1u94nw0f][/align:1u94nw0f]

TrekMD

Oh, this is awesome!  Can't wait for the binary!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DreamcastRIP

Looks to be bloody brilliant. When I noticed it's by PacManPlus it came as no surprise that the game looks so impressive as that guy has real talent. Great stuff.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

MaximumRD

For the record for those who wish to follow this development and offer comments, support, suggestions the SOURCE thread of this project information is over at Atariage:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213784-re-started-an-old-abandoned-port/page__view__findpost__p__2780791

So you all know where "Bob "PacManPlus" DeCrescenzo" originally posted this.  8)
My Classic Gaming and Computing Facebook group1 https://www.facebook.com/groups/maximumrdclassic/

TrekMD

Quote from: "MaximumRD"For the record for those who wish to follow this development and offer comments, support, suggestions the SOURCE thread of this project information is over at Atariage:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213784-re-started-an-old-abandoned-port/page__view__findpost__p__2780791

So you all know where "Bob "PacManPlus" DeCrescenzo" originally posted this.  8)

For the record, Bob has already given us permission to post about his games here.  He is also a member here.  No need to try to create animosity where none exists. 

MaximumRD

Animosity? Sorry if you feel that was the intent as it was not, giving credit where credit is due was the intent, not sure why you automatically assume otherwise. How would I have known? Since it was not stated, now I know. Either way, what exactly is wrong with posting the source thread anyways? I honestly don't think my post needed to be interpreted otherwise.
My Classic Gaming and Computing Facebook group1 https://www.facebook.com/groups/maximumrdclassic/

TL

Sorry RD it's just that we have A LOT of problems with folk from AA here and have been specifically asked by Albert not to post links back to his forum from here.

Seems he has a problem with us for whatever reason.

MaximumRD

No problem, fair enough, now I know and will keep it in mind THANKS.  :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "MaximumRD"No problem, fair enough, now I know and will keep it in mind THANKS.  :)

TL

Quote from: "MaximumRD"No problem, fair enough, now I know and will keep it in mind THANKS.  :)

Cool stick around, there is no bullshit drama or politics here unlike other forums. Just people who like to talk about games, and this is looking like it's going to be a great one.

MaximumRD

Will do, regarding the introduction I mean. I had thought I was already signed up, I know I had read posts here before but I found no saved login info (are accounts purged after a certain amount of inactivity?) I am all about the retro and classic gaming and computing, well I will save the details and go post in the introductions......... 8)

TL

Quote from: "MaximumRD"Will do, regarding the introduction I mean. I had thought I was already signed up, I know I had read posts here before but I found no saved login info (are accounts purged after a certain amount of inactivity?) I am all about the retro and classic gaming and computing, well I will save the details and go post in the introductions......... 8)

Every time we do a forum update all accounts with zero posts that are over a month old are deleted.

MaximumRD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "MaximumRD"Will do, regarding the introduction I mean. I had thought I was already signed up, I know I had read posts here before but I found no saved login info (are accounts purged after a certain amount of inactivity?) I am all about the retro and classic gaming and computing, well I will save the details and go post in the introductions......... :P

TL

You now have 6 posts so you are safe :3: