The Atari Jaguar Thread

Started by zapiy, January 26, 2011, 00:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arethius_RGC

I got the Cart could not even play one game.

And I haven't tried the hack even if I have the Skunkcard...

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Yeah I was going to ask a certain mod to throw this on a disk for me but then I read that wont work  :20:  I really need to find one of the original cartridges that were made.

I have both the CD and Cart versions of Brett Hull Hockey, it's a rather good game.

So is your review based on the cart of the CD? I was led to believe the CD is pretty buggy compared to the cart, is it really that bad?

I have reviewed both separately:

Jaguar cartridge version
Jaguar CD version

Shadowrunner

Whoops, missed the CD review.
Okay so it sounds like the cart is the way to go and I just found it on the B & C website!
I'd looked before but I was looking for Brett Hull Hockey which isn't listed but now I see they have it listed as Hockey Proto  ;)

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Whoops, missed the CD review.
Okay so it sounds like the cart is the way to go and I just found it on the B & C website!
I'd looked before but I was looking for Brett Hull Hockey which isn't listed but now I see they have it listed as Hockey Proto  ;)

Probably to avoid copyright problems as their release of it is technically illegal.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Okay so it sounds like the cart is the way to go

Yep. I have the aforementioned Jag CD release and, like Laird commented in the review here, the loading times are excruciatingly long and it crashes frequently too. It's nice to own as a curio from a collector's standpoint but if you're buying the game to play it then the cartridge version would be the one to go for.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Yep. I have the aforementioned Jag CD release and, like Laird commented in the review here, the loading times are excruciatingly long and it crashes frequently too. It's nice to own as a curio from a collector's standpoint but if you're buying the game to play it then the cartridge version would be the one to go for.

Wow, you and Laird are actually agreeing on something  :21:

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Wow, you and Laird are actually agreeing on something  :21:

:4:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Shadowrunner

Arethius_RGC

It seems I have underestimated this game.

TL

zapiy

That looks pretty damn smart.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

I have Brett Hull Hockey for the Genesis/ Mega Drive and these two are definitely a step up.

Shadowrunner

So I was looking at the B&C website and noticed they have some new beta games for the Jag for sale.
They state right up front that they downloaded them from the JSII website for free which anybody can do but they have gone a bit further and put them on carts. For people that don't know how to burn these betas to disc or don't have a Jag CD player this might be worth looking into.

The ones they have are Alien VS Predator Alpha, Cyber Golf/Jack Nicolsan Beta, Fight For Life Beta 0907, Fight For Life Beta 0322, Rayman Beta, and Defender 2000 Beta.

At $45 a piece they are a little pricey but if anyone is interested here's the link http://www.myatari.com/atarijag.txt

Anyone here ever try these before or know what the differences are between these and the retail releases?

TL

A couple of those have been released on cart before, through JS2 in fact, the AVP and FFL Beta's (assuming these are the same ones that is)

The AVP beta is kinda cool to see as it has lots of different graphics but it offers nothing over the finished game gameplay wise. If one of those FFL betas is the same one JS2 released on cart then its better than the released version.

Shadowrunner

Yeah I have seen the FFL beta on cart before and considering the price it goes for this isn't that bad a deal, if a person knew which beta was which that is. I'd really like to know what the Defender 2000 beta is like, I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find any info on it.