Bandai Wonderswan Thread

Started by zapiy, March 13, 2013, 13:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Any owners of the Wonderswan in any of its variations recommend for games?

Most that i have played have been fine for people like me who can not speak Japanese.

Gunpey
Space Invaders
Puzzle Bobble
Pocket Fighter
Lode Runner

To name a few..

Here is a top 10 gathered from ones i own and or have played and recommend to have a look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAISV-6VMc

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

I've got a Swan Crystal and about a dozen games. A few are decent, but most were disappointing to me. I really like One Piece Swan Colosseum... I don't know anything about One Piece but it's a great fighting game. Also enjoyed Blue Wing Blitz and Front Mission. Both are quality turn based strategy games. I think Wonderswan Front Mission is an upgrade of the SNES version and it's mostly in Engrish.

One of the reasons I bought the Wonderswan was to play Rhyme Rider Kerorican but found it really disappointing. Colorful rhythm game from the developer of Parappa and Vib Ribbon but it has random enemies and requires exact timing to avoid them. Frustrating from the start and later levels are almost impossible.

I'm hoping to stumble onto a cheap Judgement Silversword someday...

dot.fyre

This was the entirety of my WSC collection until I sold it last year.
I though it was an OK system in general but the lack of decent, playable games (ie in English) was a bit of a letdown for me.

zapiy

Yeah the lack of English games is a real let down but I just about manage on those above as regardless of the language you can work out what to do. Gunpey is addictive fun.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

Took a pic of my Wonderswan collection for personal reference/RVG share.

zapiy

Nice one fella.  Whats Front Mission like?

tomwaits

Front Mission is a turn based strategy game with giant mechs. Lots of new equipment/upgrades to customize your mechs between battles. It's a great strategy game franchise but it might have peaked with Front Mission 3 on the PS1. The current gen Front Mission Evolved tried to adapt the series into a mech action game... it wasn't very good.

I think the Wonderswan version is an enhanced port of an earlier SNES (SFC) Front Mission game? The Wonderswan's cutscenes have Japanese text but the gameplay and customization are mostly English and easy to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts7s4SOTE4Q

devilhunter

I have just picked up a nice joblot of Wonderswan games. Now I just need to pick up a Wonderswan to play them :)
Everything in my collection must be boxed and complete. Nothing else will do \":)\"

zapiy

Brilliant stuff. I need to add a few more to mine. You have blown me out of the water in one purchase lol.

108 Stars

I just got a cheapo Wonderswan b/w for 15 Euros shipped. No games yet. Is there a relieable list out there about which games run on WS and which don't?

I heard that only some of the color games work with the original WS.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

zapiy

That's a great point, would love a list like that myself.

Welcome to the owners club fella.

TL

There is a complete list of games HERE.

Here are most of the titles that are accessible to non-Japanese speakers:

Battle Spirit: Digimon Frontier
Beatmania
Buffers Evolution
Crazy ClimberDicing Knight
Digimon Tamers: Battle Spirit
Digimon Tamers: Battle Spirit Ver. 1.5
DJ Battle -Turntablist-
D's Garage 21: Tane wo Maku Tori
Final Lap 2000