Donkey Kong VCS

Started by TrekMD, December 18, 2012, 21:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

We have talked about a new version of DK for the 2600 in development but there is yet another one and this look very impressive.  It uses screen scrolling (up and down) to display the entire playing field.  It is still in the works but it looks amazing!  It is hard to believe this is being done with the 2600!  Here are some pictures of it:

[align=center:74qzrgiv]

[/align:74qzrgiv]

The ROM file is here

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Thanks Trek! Really looks good so far!

TrekMD

I am truly in awe when I look at this.  I mean, that's is a game on the 2600!!!!

onthinice

I agree! Looks like 2013 will be another good year for gaming.

zapiy

Thats unreal, i guess the people working on that can only tell us how hard its been to code for.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DZ-Jay

Is it real?  How come the horizontal resolution of the girders is different from the one of the monkey?  It almost looks as if the monkey graphic was taken from the arcade and superimposed on an Atari VCS screen....

TrekMD

Quote from: "DZ-Jay"Is it real?  How come the horizontal resolution of the girders is different from the one of the monkey?  It almost looks as if the monkey graphic was taken from the arcade and superimposed on an Atari VCS screen....

It is real, which is why I posted the link to the bin file that can be run with Stella.  :)

DZ-Jay

Oh!  I must take a look, then!

Thanks for sharing. :)

dZ.

TrekMD

Yep!  But keep in mind it is in early stages still!  :)  Remarkable nonetheless!

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "TrekMD"I am truly in awe when I look at this.  I mean, that's is a game on the 2600!!!!
Me too!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "TrekMD"Yep!  But keep in mind it is in early stages still!  :)  Remarkable nonetheless!

It is remarkable, indeed!  Like My comment suggested, I could not believe it!

108 Stars

Indeed, having Kong displayed in such detail and big size on the 2600... amazing.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TrekMD

Apparently a flickering technique is being used so that there can be more colors displayed at once.  It is working wonderfully!

zapiy

Its amazing hows new ideas and ways of using technical prowess can achieve something so amazing.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

For those interested, a new demo has been posted of this game.  The changes include: a non-flickering title screen letters, new enemies (Oil Barrel, Wood Barrel, Cement/Pie, and Flame), and an all new 25 m stage, including broken ladders and additional Kong graphics.

The ROM can be downloaded here:  DK VCS on Atari Age.

Though you can play, it is far from complete.  I can't say enough how impressed I am with this.