Let's Compare: Paperboy

Started by TL, December 14, 2012, 14:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Rogue Trooper

Going from reviews at thetime and people i've spoken to, C16 Paperboy was pretty dissapointing, mind you, i found the same of the C64 version.

TL

There sure are a lot of versions of this game, shame many of them are rubbish.

The Lynx version is actually a port of the ST version minus the status bar border, you can actually see how close they look if you watch the video. This explains why the Lynx version doesn't look as good as it could of.

onthinice

I played and did enjoy the Commodore 64 version back in the 80's. Then I found the 16-bit Genesis/Mega Drive version. The best outside of the arcade.

If I had to choose a version that is not fun it would be Paperboy 64 for the N64.

TrekMD

Dang!  That is a ton of versions of this game! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I loved the arcade cabinet for this game with its handlebars controller

onthinice

Tachi

I also love the Megarive version but Amiga looks pretty good.
I'd never seen the cabinet before and that does look really sweet!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

zapiy

Yeah, many hours spent on the Speccy verison, gosh that brings back memories..May have to grab a go on it soon..

The Amiga version does look really sweet also..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I remember the Speccy version it was pretty poor, as was the BBC that I played on the computers at school. I also recall a friend of mine having the Gameboy version, that wasn't very good either. I guess that is one thing all the monochrome versions have in common - crapness!

I still play the Lynx version from time to time, it's pretty good.

Rogue Trooper

Thread bump as just been re-reading the Gamestm 'Clash Of The Titans' feature on the handheld versions (Lynx VS GB VS Game Gear).

Thought it topical since posting about how Jag games went down with modern era press etc.

from the feature, talking of the Lynx versions visuals:

'..Lynx blocky and indistinct, Paperboy on Lynx is a horrible mess that instantly repels anyone who picks it up'.

Any thoughts Laird?

:-)

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Thread bump as just been re-reading the Gamestm 'Clash Of The Titans' feature on the handheld versions (Lynx VS GB VS Game Gear).

Thought it topical since posting about how Jag games went down with modern era press etc.

'..Lynx blocky and indistinct, Paperboy on Lynx is a horrible mess that instantly repels anyone who picks it up'.

Any thoughts Laird?

It isn't the prettiest game on the Lynx as it was ported from the ST version, as I have mentioned on here before.

The GG version look nicer at first but the graphics are so large you keep crashing because you can't see enough  of the screen. There is a direct comparison in the Lynx Vs. GG thread.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Thread bump as just been re-reading the Gamestm 'Clash Of The Titans' feature on the handheld versions (Lynx VS GB VS Game Gear).

Any thoughts Laird?

It isn't the prettiest game on the Lynx as it was ported from the ST version, as I have mentioned on here before.

The GG version look nicer at first but the graphics are so large you keep crashing because you can't see enough  of the screen. There is a direct comparison in the Lynx Vs. GG thread.

Sorry Laird, what i'm thinking here is any thoughts on the way the Lynx version is being described?.Myself thought way reviewer put it was bit over the top.He ? could have just said something like:A Dissapointing ST port,i expected more from an Atari game on the Lynx.

Gamestm usually very good with Lynx content.