[Amiga Game] Spheroid

Started by aNdy/AL/Cosine, February 24, 2022, 22:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aNdy/AL/Cosine

I've dug out my A1200 and it still works! I managed to image the original HD in WinUAE and have been sorting through some 20-30 year old code, GFX and music.

My A1200 is now being upgraded with an 8Gb CF HD containing OS3.2. It has an Apollo 1230 card with 16mb and an Indivision AGA MK2. Old hardware being connected includes a CD-ROM drive via a Squirrel interface and an external Cumana DD. Plus my sampler and a few other bits and pieces.

Looking to get back into creating stuff, I've resurrected a simple puzzle game I was working on back in the 90's. The game engine is essentially complete and I designed one test level to make sure it's all working.  Now to write the music, design more levels and tinker and smooth out wrinkles!

The game is called 'Spheroid' and you move a metal sphere around a maze of tiles to reach the exit. The various tiles have different effects on your sphere. Only a simple game, but should (hopefully) be challenging and fun?!?!?

Below is the title screen and test level.

zapiy

Looks fab mate, maybe a Phoenix Ware release if you fancy a physical copy?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Quote from: zapiy on March 07, 2022, 22:16:59 PM
Looks fab mate, maybe a Phoenix Ware release if you fancy a physical copy?
Sure, I'll consider that!  Want to get a few more levels done first and maybe release a preview to test opinion.

In the meantime, work progresses! Have transferred the game over for a first run on real hardware. Here is a photo of my Grandson testing on my A1200 in my little dev studio...

Special thanks to Toni Galvez for the awesome loading screen! He has also rendered a high resolution version that could be used as box art!

aNdy/AL/Cosine

The game is now up to almost 30 levels and the passcode system (to skip earlier completed levels) is now in and working!

zapiy

Whats your plans with this mate?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Quote from: zapiy on April 07, 2022, 21:50:44 PM
Whats your plans with this mate?
Well, originally I was going to release for free, complete with all assets and source code, like I usually do with all my stuff.  That's the way I usually roll.

However, a couple of people have mentioned to me about only releasing for sale (physical, digital download or both). To be honest, I don't know the Amiga market that well and how well games sell. It would be nice to earn some money if only to put back into development of both the C64 and PC versions I will be doing.

Therefore, I'm open to offers or to be 'persuaded'. I still feel 'funny' about solely selling games for old formats; it makes me feel like a bit of a sell-out.

The final Amiga version of the game will definitely have 50 levels and an ending screen and should be completed in the next few weeks, bar play-testing. If there is room on disk and memory available, I may add more levels to 60 or something...

zapiy

Would be interested in releasing it but we would need to have exclusive to disk for a limited period?

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Quote from: zapiy on April 14, 2022, 23:23:41 PMWould be interested in releasing it but we would need to have exclusive to disk for a limited period?
That would be fair enough, completely understood!  How long would you require exclusivity?

zapiy

3 mths, nothing more than that.. there is a risk with everything but I love seeing stiff like this.

We could do something like this, https://www.phoenixware.co.uk/product/dodgy-rocks/

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Sounds doable to me! Give me a few days, I'll do a latest build for you with all levels to date!

I will be releasing a 10 level demo soon, but this will have all but the 10 levels removed, no loading screen/music and place holder title screen music only.

zapiy

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Want to try 'Spheroid' for yourself? Download a 10 level demo using the link below!

https://arkanixlabs.com/downloads/SpheroidDemo.zip

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Amiga Addict Magazine featured a 12 level version of 'Spheroid' on their virtual coverdisk.

I've seen this available for download in other places now and I'd rather it come from an 'official' source, so please download this version below.  It features a few different levels to the 10 level version, a loading screen with some music and different title screen music.

Download:
https://www.arkanixlabs.com/downloads/SpheroidDemoAA.zip

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

aNdy/AL/Cosine

'Spheroid' should be finished in the New Year.  Looking to get this out the door now!