Sega to Release a Genesis Mini

Started by TrekMD, April 03, 2019, 04:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Sega will release its Sega Genesis Mini worldwide on September 19. It will include 40 games, including Sonic The Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, and Castlevania Bloodlines.

Sega made the announcement on stage at Sega Fes 2019, its annual fan event in Tokyo. There, it announced games for the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, including Sonic 2, Puyo Puyo 2, Shining Force, Castlevania Bloodlines, Powerball, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Rent-a-Hero, Space Harrier II, and Madou Monogatari Ichi. Since a few of these games are Japan-only, it stood to reason that the U.S. and European lineups will be different.

Read more here:Kotaku

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

The best thing about this is Sega finally got rid of At Games, so the quality of this should be much better than we're used to. 40 games is a great selection too! Only complaint I have is the 3 button controller. The Japanese system gets the 6 button so it's odd they changed it for the west.

Ryuhi

Interesting that they got Konami on board to get castlevania. Would love to see more third party support.

TrekMD

This does look quite nice.  I'm tempted...

zapiy

This one I will be getting, proper classic looking console. Who is handling the product?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

Sega announced another 10 games today so here is the full list so far. Still 10 more to come.

Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Toe Jam & Earl
Comix Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Earthworm Jim
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Thunder Force III
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Streets of Rage 2
Contra Hard Corps
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Sonic Spinball
Phantasy Star IV
Beyond Oasis
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Golden Axe
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World

TrekMD

That's a pretty good list of games.

sonicclassicfan90s

Definitely getting the Sega Mega Drive Mini. The games list Is looking very good glad Sonic and Streets of Rage 2 are In there really love those games :)

TrekMD

After seeing this list, I do believe I will be getting this.  It's a nice way to play the games on a modern TV also.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

ArcadeAction

Personally, I'm glad the USA gets the three button controller. I can only think of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter that really need the six button, and I would rather play these on different systems. I'd rather have the three button controller for all the other games. The Sega six button controller button build quality seemed extremely cheap for a first party release. Third party six button controllers were much better in my opinion than the official Sega ones.

Yes, I know people will disagree with me on MK on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, but I felt it was better on the SuperNES. The graphics and sounds effects were much clearer. Many sounds were missing on the Genesis/Mega Drive. The size of the figures is also much smaller on the Genesis. Even the 32X version of MKs used the smaller sized characters sprites for some reason.

Good selection of games though, and the design of this mini looks to be very well done.

Would like to see a TurboGrafx/PC Engine mini.

Shadowrunner

It is a good selection of games alright. The final 12 games were announced yesterday bringing the total to 42.

Tetris
Darius
Virtua Fighter 2
Alisia Dragoon
Monster World IV
Kid Chameleon
Road Rash II
Eternal Champions
Columns
Dynamite Headdy
Strider
Light Crusader

Pretty cool to see Darius which is a brand new port that was never released before and Tetris which was supposed to be released for the system back in the day but a lawsuit over the rights stopped it.

TrekMD

Darius and Tetris are two good reasons to get the system then.  :)

TrekMD

NSG posted a nice video talking about the games that will be released with the system: