Playstation Classic Announced

Started by Shadowrunner, September 19, 2018, 14:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Looks like the rumors are true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqs9yOmqi8c

Launching on December 3rd for $99.99 USD. Supposed to be 20 game on it but they haven't announced them all yet.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

AmigaJay

At least Sony hasnt ripped off Europe with its pricing unlike SNK did with the NeoGeo mini, shame with all these minis is they dont have removable storage and an online store to add more.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Cracking news and I'm sure it will sell by the bucket loads..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DeadVoivod

Saw this today, so the only tempting thing to get one is the HDMI and the size, but if it’s restricted to the 20 games they announced and you cannot buy or play originals, I’d rather use my old one. Probably there’s an adapter existing for it.

Anyhow, I play my PSX games on the PS3, with smoothing.

TrekMD

Looks very nice and it's also a cool "mini" but the fact that it only has 20 games makes it less attractive.  No doubt it will sell boatloads, though!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

It's going to depend on the final game list, but at this point I really don't see myself buying one. A lot of PS1 games really haven't aged well and the lack of analogue controllers and no rumble means some of the better games just won't be the same. It's also a little expensive compared to the NES and SNES mini consoles.

Quote from: DeadVoivod on September 19, 2018, 20:35:07 PM

Anyhow, I play my PSX games on the PS3, with smoothing.

Also this!

TrekMD

I play the PS1 games on the PS2 Slim that I have.  I think the notion of this is cool but the implementation may fall short.

Shadowrunner

Well they finally announced the full list of games.

And with that I can say I won't be getting one. There's some good ones here but most of the games I'd play out of this list I already own. I actually like the Japanese list better. If Arc the Lad 1 and 2, G Darius and Gradius Gaiden were on the English console I'd be much more tempted to get one.

DeadVoivod

zapiy

Plenty of people have cancelled since the announcement.

Hardly surprising.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

ArcadeAction

While the NES and SuperNES Classics had solid titles that are hard to dispute on the selections they made (and they had control because many were first party games), perhaps Sony was limited by licensing restrictions.

It otherwise seems obvious that these games should have been included:

A Tomb Raider game

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Probably Twisted Metal 2 instead of 1

The original Street Fighter 2 Collection or a Megaman game (but probably were barred from this by Capcom as they released the 30th Anniversary set not long ago)

Doom and/or Final Doom

Einhander (or another shmup)

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Possibly even MechWarrior 2 or Descent would have been a decent addition.

I do think Wild Arms has one of the best intros of all time, so glad that is there.

I won't be buying it as I don't want to play my pre 2008 games on anything but a CRT. The few titles I would want on this can be all bought together for the same or less than this system and I'd rather play on my original PS. I don't feel this will sell that well.

The original Playstation was a wonderful system though with a memorable boot sequence.

AmigaJay

Sony dropped the ball with this imo, i know it will still sell in bucketloads, but it will miss the massmarket sales, for starters its already £30-£40 more than nes/snes mini, those low prices help with impulse buys and smaller xmas gifts, £100 is really pushing it, which may have been saved by some real classic games on there, until Sony revealed the full lineup that is!

Im a gamer and a collector, but even i wouldnt pay £70 for this due to the awful games on there, had they the foresight to take a gamble and include an online store and wifi module so people can download new games to sd cards (Sony know this will be hacked so i dont buy the ‘its too risky’ to do that scenerio.

But really all they needed to do was repackage the vita tv into the new moulding and its already good to go, must be thousands sitting in warehouses anyway!

Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Saturn

Sad to hear, this could've been GREAT.

Shadowrunner

Could've been great and should've been great. Really is disappointing.

TrekMD

Sometimes one has to wonder, what were they thinking?!?!?