Retro Video Gamer

Welcome to Retro Video Gamer => Retro News & Chat => Topic started by: sunteam_paul on October 13, 2013, 14:56:02 PM

Title: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 13, 2013, 14:56:02 PM
I seem to have missed out on the NES first time around, so I've started a new video series in which I play NES games (usually poorly) for the first time and record my impressions. Here's the first one.

Never Played NES #1 - Tiger Heli (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on October 13, 2013, 16:38:20 PM
Never played this game but I've only had a NES for a short time. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: 64bitRuss on October 13, 2013, 20:23:50 PM
Tiger-Heli is far too generic of a shmup to hold my attention for more than a couple of minutes. Shmups were rather pathetic as a general rule during the 8-bit days. I did like Sky Shark, but again, it's still generic.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on October 14, 2013, 00:51:34 AM
Cool idea! I haven't played Tiger Heli in years but I used to really like it.
Title: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on October 14, 2013, 13:07:31 PM
Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I actually like the look of this game, so much so I am going to see if I own it and if not go and buy it lol.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 14, 2013, 17:48:42 PM
Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I actually like the look of this game, so much so I am going to see if I own it and if not go and buy it lol.

I usually find most pre-PC Engine era shoot 'em ups to be unfun/unbalanced, but Tiger Heli was quite enjoyable, def. worth getting.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 14, 2013, 19:21:03 PM
Never Played NES #2 - Athena (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TL on October 14, 2013, 19:41:26 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah that's a Puka idea fella. Will keep an eye out for these as I was not a NES user either so these will be interesting.

I actually like the look of this game, so much so I am going to see if I own it and if not go and buy it lol.

I usually find most pre-PC Engine era shoot 'em ups to be unfun/unbalanced, but Tiger Heli was quite enjoyable, def. worth getting.

The NES was not best suited to shooters with all that sprite flicker.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on October 14, 2013, 20:15:15 PM
I don't even thing at that level though fella. I just game, the tech behind it I leave to you lot lol.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: dougtitchmarsh on October 14, 2013, 20:34:02 PM
Keep em coming Sunteam_Paul, great idea and I like the style of it.  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on October 15, 2013, 00:23:45 AM
In the case of Athena I think Pauls commentary is far more enjoyable than playing the game  :21:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sloan on October 15, 2013, 02:28:31 AM
You don't say, but looks like you are playing on an emulator. This makes me wonder if you have full controller functionality for these games using the keyboard arrows or a PC game pad. Real hardware is the best way to experience NES, and some of the frustrations seen in your videos would be minimized.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on October 15, 2013, 22:53:41 PM
Yeah, what are you using Paul?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: davyk on October 15, 2013, 23:46:07 PM
Hudson did some shmups on the NES - they ran huge hi-score compeitions in Japan across the country using them - gave rise the idea of a caravan mode.

Star Force, Star Soldier and Hector '87 were 3 games that ware used in these tournaments.

Check out Sqoon by Irem on the NES which is a neat little submarine horizontal shmup.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 16, 2013, 08:48:03 AM
Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah, what are you using Paul?

I'm using Nestopia to emulate and playing with my trusty PS1 Dual Shock using the digital pad - certainly a lot more comfortable for my hands than the old style pads and great for retro stuff.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 21, 2013, 18:24:31 PM
Never Played NES #3 - Amagon (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TL on October 21, 2013, 18:37:38 PM
I have never even heard of that game!  :o
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: dougtitchmarsh on October 21, 2013, 20:30:02 PM
Great stuff Paul, really enjoy these videos. Like the unusual game choices too  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on October 21, 2013, 22:42:00 PM
Really cool game choices.  Never heard of that game either!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sloan on October 22, 2013, 01:01:01 AM
These are some good play-through videos, and makes me want to break out the old NES. Been a few years now.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 22, 2013, 17:34:30 PM
I'm trying to avoid things like Castlevanias and other well known titles because I'm already familiar with how they work. It's a lot more fun discovering something new.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on October 23, 2013, 03:42:29 AM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"I'm trying to avoid things like Castlevanias and other well known titles because I'm already familiar with how they work. It's a lot more fun discovering something new.

Sounds good to me.  :)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 26, 2013, 10:57:20 AM
Never Played NES #4 - Jackal (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: dougtitchmarsh on October 26, 2013, 13:52:20 PM
Jackal, looks great and another winner in your N.P.N. series, some nice touches in your commentary as you play  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Gorf on October 26, 2013, 16:47:18 PM
LOL! Funny Stuff Paul....Love the comments...games left me quite dry with all that horrible flicker. Looked
like a 2600 with nice backgrounds. Good vid reviews though, nonetheless.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 02, 2013, 12:26:47 PM
Never Played NES #5 - Adventures of Dino Riki (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 02, 2013, 14:04:31 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"Never Played NES #4 - Jackal (//http)

Have to say this is my type of game..

Have found it for a great price on eBay so i will feedback my thoughts.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 02, 2013, 14:07:33 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"Never Played NES #5 - Adventures of Dino Riki (//http)

Now thats a great take on the Shmups genre..lol

Great work again fella.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 02, 2013, 17:29:09 PM
That looks fun! Another game to check out.  :)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: dougtitchmarsh on November 02, 2013, 19:46:13 PM
Dino Riki, great find sunteam_paul. Looks like one I'll have to try.
I have to ask, is it difficult not swearing when you make these video reviews  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 03, 2013, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"Dino Riki, great find sunteam_paul. Looks like one I'll have to try.
I have to ask, is it difficult not swearing when you make these video reviews  :113:

I'm not generally a heavy swearer so I don't feel the need most of the time. The occasional one may pop in now and again but it won't be very strong. You can be more creative with language if you don't swear often and only use it when it it most effective.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Gorf on November 03, 2013, 19:12:06 PM
Well...using the term whore is always ok...cuz it's funny. :P
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 03, 2013, 20:50:59 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"Dino Riki, great find sunteam_paul. Looks like one I'll have to try.
I have to ask, is it difficult not swearing when you make these video reviews  :113:

I'm not generally a heavy swearer so I don't feel the need most of the time. The occasional one may pop in now and again but it won't be very strong. You can be more creative with language if you don't swear often and only use it when it it most effective.

Yeah it must be hard as i must do it under my breathe everytime i game lol.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 08, 2013, 20:00:17 PM
Never Played NES #6 - The Adventures of Bayou Billy (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on November 12, 2013, 18:35:03 PM
Great Videos! Thanks for sharing them here!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TL on November 12, 2013, 18:39:24 PM
I remember that well! I was shopping in St. Albans with a friend of mine who was the only person I knew that owned a NES. He really wanted the game and it took us a while to hunt it down, I seem to remember he got it from Boots in the end.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 14, 2013, 20:01:36 PM
Another great video, whats with the sprites dropping frames.. Is that the emulator?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 16, 2013, 10:54:15 AM
Quote from: "zapiy"Another great video, whats with the sprites dropping frames.. Is that the emulator?

I don't think so, I think it might be a YouTube thing.


Next up:

Never Played NES #7 - The Battle of Olympus (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 24, 2013, 11:37:27 AM
Pleasantly surprised by this one.

Never Played NES #8 - Kiwi Kraze (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TL on November 24, 2013, 13:35:21 PM
Ah the NES version of New Zealand Story, I have reviewed that on here.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: dcultrapro on November 26, 2013, 18:52:33 PM
Nice looking show/channel mate!! I've subbed your channel, I've hardly ever played the nes and just got one in my latest update on my channel so if you or anyone else have any suggestions please let me know and I'll consider picking them up
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TL on November 26, 2013, 19:27:38 PM
Quote from: "dcultrapro"if you or anyone else have any suggestions please let me know and I'll consider picking them up

Reviews section (//http) :3:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 27, 2013, 19:48:41 PM
This next one...not so good.

Never Played NES #9 - Race America (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 27, 2013, 21:45:32 PM
OK, that doesn't make much sense.  If the player stays behind they get stuck in the smaller screen?  What was the programmer thinking when they made this game?  This one goes into to "avoid" pile!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 28, 2013, 18:15:43 PM
Quote from: "TrekMD"OK, that doesn't make much sense.  If the player stays behind they get stuck in the smaller screen?  What was the programmer thinking when they made this game?  This one goes into to "avoid" pile!

I think it was for 2 player mode, but doing it in single player is just plain annoying.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 28, 2013, 18:25:44 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
Quote from: "TrekMD"OK, that doesn't make much sense.  If the player stays behind they get stuck in the smaller screen?  What was the programmer thinking when they made this game?  This one goes into to "avoid" pile!

I think it was for 2 player mode, but doing it in single player is just plain annoying.

Without a doubt!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 30, 2013, 11:42:20 AM
Never Played NES #10 - Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 30, 2013, 15:40:18 PM
Hmm, that one looks ok.  I bit repetitive, though. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 30, 2013, 17:56:48 PM
Quote from: "TrekMD"Hmm, that one looks ok.  I bit repetitive, though.

If the controls were better it might be a lot more enjoyable.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 30, 2013, 22:13:46 PM
Both of those last two look pretty sweet. I really need to get my NES collection out and see if I have any of these.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on December 04, 2013, 14:11:29 PM
Never Played NES #11 - Battletoads (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Greyfox on December 04, 2013, 17:03:37 PM
I actually remember this on the Snes , so have watched your wonderful video for comparisons  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on December 04, 2013, 19:31:28 PM
This one looks pretty cool. I had heard of the game but I've never played it. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sloan on December 04, 2013, 20:01:44 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"Never Played NES #10 - Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum (//http)

I bought this game in 1990. It always struck me as a generic grabfest/platformer with mostly bland colors and graphics. Probably the only NES game I ever regretted purchasing.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on December 05, 2013, 23:40:44 PM
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"Never Played NES #11 - Battletoads (//http)

God this one takes me back a bit lol.. Used to love playing this.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on December 11, 2013, 10:58:12 AM
Never Played NES #12 - Menace Beach (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on December 11, 2013, 11:45:10 AM
Hmm, that game looks like an awful mess.  Not one I'd like to try out.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on January 04, 2014, 16:44:42 PM
Thankfully this one's a bit better than the last:

Never Played NES #13 - Batman (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on January 04, 2014, 18:42:23 PM
This does look like a good one.  I'll have to check it out. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on January 05, 2014, 21:14:27 PM
Batman looks great, one i must checkout..
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on January 12, 2014, 11:05:32 AM
Yeah, Batman is fantastic, you have to try it out.

Next up:

Never Played NES #14 - Holy Diver (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: kapturerelease on January 12, 2014, 12:13:28 PM
Wanna get hold of a copy of cliffhanger. Is it worth the import?


Sent from The Monolith using Tapatalk (//http).
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on January 12, 2014, 17:40:24 PM
That looks interesting.  There seems to be a lot of flicker, though.  Your character disappeared when he got hit.  Is that just an effect of how the video is captured or due to actual flicker?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on January 18, 2014, 20:01:58 PM
Quote from: "TrekMD"That looks interesting.  There seems to be a lot of flicker, though.  Your character disappeared when he got hit.  Is that just an effect of how the video is captured or due to actual flicker?

That's a frame rate thing with Youtube.


Next up:

Never Played NES #15 - Metal Storm (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on January 20, 2014, 12:31:58 PM
Yet another new game on me, love the way you can change the gravity.. looks like a game that would take some getting used to though.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on January 25, 2014, 13:39:00 PM
Never Played NES #16 - Ikari Warriors (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on January 25, 2014, 15:04:11 PM
I think I'll stick with the 7800 version even though the sound is better on the NES. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on February 01, 2014, 12:21:25 PM
Never Played NES #17 - Magic John (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on February 01, 2014, 14:13:01 PM
I like the graphics on this game.  Very bright and colorful. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on February 02, 2014, 17:29:19 PM
Quote from: "TrekMD"I like the graphics on this game.  Very bright and colorful.

Yeah, it's not bad. I'm sure it would be worth putting some time into once you learn all the special abilities.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on February 02, 2014, 17:44:14 PM
Looks great.. i had a quick go on this yesterday.. Not a bad game, not sure i could get into it yet but i shall let you know.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Vyothric on February 02, 2014, 17:55:47 PM
I played the EU/US version yesterday. It's called "Totally Rad". It's a pretty average game, but it's worth playing for the dialogue which is hilarious.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on February 15, 2014, 10:01:20 AM
Never Played NES #18 - Legendary Wings (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on February 15, 2014, 15:03:30 PM
That reminds me of Xevious because of the combination of ground and air enemies that the player has to fight.  It does appear to be more difficult, though.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on February 15, 2014, 16:52:18 PM
Thanks for sharing the video, Paul. I have never played it but like what I see.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on February 15, 2014, 16:57:39 PM
Same as, that looks really good but all these videos are showing me how little i know about the NES lol
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on February 15, 2014, 17:00:21 PM
The NES was not a bad system.

It is a conspiracy by Atari and Sega fans to mislead. :21:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on February 23, 2014, 14:42:18 PM
Never Played NES #19 - Bad Dudes (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on February 23, 2014, 15:47:46 PM
I was underwhelmed by that game. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on March 08, 2014, 09:54:04 AM
Never Played NES #20 - Trojan (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on March 08, 2014, 14:28:56 PM
That is a definitely on the "avoid" pile.  :21:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on March 16, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
Never Played NES #21 - Skate or Die 2 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on March 17, 2014, 19:08:41 PM
Oh i love this one.. One of my fav game types..

Nice one Paul.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on March 19, 2014, 19:26:18 PM
This was one case I really needed the instruction manual.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on March 19, 2014, 20:29:40 PM
Lol yeah i know what you mean on that...
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on March 23, 2014, 12:29:39 PM
Never Played NES #22 - The Guardian Legend (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on March 23, 2014, 13:36:26 PM
That does look interesting.  The sound of the laser gun is annoying, though. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on March 23, 2014, 16:43:39 PM
I like it.. Love the way its both a Shmup and arcade shooter..
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on March 29, 2014, 13:58:51 PM
Never Played NES #23 - Starship Hector (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on March 29, 2014, 14:04:48 PM
That looks like a fun game!  Cool.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 06, 2014, 11:30:02 AM
Never Played NES #24 - Legacy of the Wizard (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on April 06, 2014, 22:43:25 PM
Legacy of the Wizard had the best idea, put an Inn in a dungeon or basement. Great way to refresh your energy. I do feel sorry for the Innkeeper, stuck with monsters outside his door. 8)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 07, 2014, 18:20:27 PM
I'd really like to dig back into this after reading some instructions. It had great potential to be a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on April 07, 2014, 20:59:58 PM
Looks a great little game actually..
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on April 08, 2014, 16:20:46 PM
Agree! I have passed over so many games because of time or little information about them. Good to discover another NES title worth tracking down and playing.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 13, 2014, 10:30:06 AM
I really liked the weirdness of this one.

Never Played NES #25 - Monster Party (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on April 13, 2014, 15:05:43 PM
That is one weird game! 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 19, 2014, 13:22:17 PM
Never Played NES #26 - Crystalis (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 26, 2014, 11:34:16 AM
Never Played NES #27 - Moon Crystal (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on April 26, 2014, 14:31:29 PM
Moon Crystal has some nice graphics and it looks interesting as a game.  Is this a later NES release?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on April 27, 2014, 13:23:49 PM
The animation of the main character sprite is pretty damn good to my eyes.. Another great video fella. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: onthinice on April 28, 2014, 16:23:47 PM
Agree, Moon Crystal is a very nice looking game. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on April 28, 2014, 18:01:04 PM
i think it was a late era Japan only release, but I might be wrong.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on May 11, 2014, 10:40:03 AM
Never Played NES #28 - Xexyz (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on May 11, 2014, 14:39:46 PM
Not sure what to make of that one.  Seems like a rather schizophrenic game.  LOL
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on May 17, 2014, 11:32:57 AM
http://youtu.be/fYVCrrBjSCM (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on November 03, 2014, 20:46:31 PM
Powerblade looks great, @Lorfarius i take it you owned this?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Lorfarius on November 03, 2014, 20:58:47 PM
Too right! One of the systems best games.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on August 28, 2015, 18:34:39 PM
 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on August 28, 2015, 18:35:02 PM
 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on August 28, 2015, 22:07:15 PM
Very cool!  Now, don't let that shark bite you!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on September 04, 2015, 17:31:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITwvDfgGJs (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on September 04, 2015, 22:45:14 PM
That looks rather generic to me.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on September 05, 2015, 02:26:04 AM
Yeah I agree, not the best looking game. Good video as usual though.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on September 05, 2015, 13:26:47 PM
Whomp Em looks pretty fun, perhaps much like Werewolf in terms of the look.. Very generic but both look fun..

Hit detection seems a bit off on Werewolf though?
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on September 11, 2015, 17:23:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkinhgF-3pc (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on September 12, 2015, 03:46:19 AM
That looks like one tough game!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on September 12, 2015, 07:54:34 AM
Quote from: "TrekMD"That looks like one tough game!

I think it's a case of learning what to use when, but it was fun enough that I didn't give up earlier which I usually would.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on September 12, 2015, 09:42:21 AM
Got to say that looks another great game, why is there so many NES games i have never seen??
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on September 12, 2015, 14:09:42 PM
It does look like you have to know what to do choose in order to play it. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on September 13, 2015, 21:30:59 PM
Krion Quest was just shows as a hidden gem for the NES on the video I posted today from Metal Jesus.  :)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on September 25, 2015, 17:26:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YmpTOyg3Tw (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on September 30, 2015, 16:45:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sFRFVP33w# (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on September 30, 2015, 22:42:47 PM
That looks cool and I like the variety in it.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 07, 2015, 17:32:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myr86IvR0c4 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 14, 2015, 17:34:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqZS-s3n0I (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on October 14, 2015, 17:38:46 PM
Just watched all three of the latest ones.. Robocop does look ok to me.. You thoughts at the end were LOL...
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on October 14, 2015, 19:15:09 PM
I really like the look of those old dungeon crawlers, but the gameplay in them hasn't aged very well. Nice look at Dungeon Magic.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on October 15, 2015, 14:44:55 PM
Just watched the Robocop video, great as always  :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 15, 2015, 18:13:49 PM
Quote from: "zapiy"Just watched all three of the latest ones.. Robocop does look ok to me.. You thoughts at the end were LOL...

Yeah it was a hard one to really rate because I was so familiar with the Spectrum version that I loved so that carried across, but at the same time it didn't instill me with joyous feelings while playing it.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: zapiy on October 15, 2015, 18:19:18 PM
I find that with a lot of games, if i am familiar with versions of the games on other systems then it can be hard to get excited if the games is clearly not as good as the one you remembers.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 21, 2015, 15:24:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0miWaPcu9o (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on October 21, 2015, 20:39:31 PM
Great video. I'd never seen that game.. and think I'll pass on exploring it further :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on October 21, 2015, 22:13:18 PM
Good looking game but I could see myself getting very annoyed very quickly!
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on October 28, 2015, 18:06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFed_9EtnPw (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on October 28, 2015, 20:17:18 PM
Great video but that game "Be garbage of cesspool ha ha ha"
Gonna hack infinite energy and continues into it to see what's beyond. 8)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 04, 2015, 18:01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-BmjTZIV8 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on November 04, 2015, 18:43:35 PM
Great video. And that game looked like a lot of fun.
Had never heard of it before so will definitely be adding it to the to do list. Thanks for the heads up. 8)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on November 04, 2015, 19:58:24 PM
Yes, another great video. I've never played the original game but I do have the hacked version that turns it into a Lost Boys (the 80's movie) game. Here's the thread about it http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/http:/ ... ic.php?t=8 (http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 04, 2015, 21:59:44 PM
That looks like a fun game! 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 06, 2015, 18:34:31 PM
It's one of those games that you put on and know immediately that it's going to be a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 11, 2015, 18:00:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLMuGKcTjTo (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: wyldephang on November 11, 2015, 18:43:02 PM
Gun Nac has been on my wish list for a while now. It's an exceptionally well-made shooter that commands a high price tag on the collector's market today. I love the cover art especially: it's unremarkable as far as shooters go except for the inclusion of mutant space carrots (//http). Amazing.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 11, 2015, 21:21:59 PM
Why does it command such a high price?  Was it a limited release for some reason? 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: wyldephang on November 12, 2015, 18:28:19 PM
Trek, I'm not sure if that was the case. Gun Nac probably didn't sell particularly well in its time, so even though it had a full retail release, it's somewhat rare to find today. There are others factors that can drive up the value, too. The trend shows that Gun Nac seems to be steadily climbing in price today.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on November 12, 2015, 19:12:14 PM
Gun Nac looks great! Looks like the Famicon version would be the way to go, it's much cheaper on ebay.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 12, 2015, 23:42:52 PM
Quote from: "wyldephang"Trek, I'm not sure if that was the case. Gun Nac probably didn't sell particularly well in its time, so even though it had a full retail release, it's somewhat rare to find today. There are others factors that can drive up the value, too. The trend shows that Gun Nac seems to be steadily climbing in price today.
So, it didn't sell well and it has become hard to find today.  That must be why the price is going up.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 18, 2015, 18:10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Bz4iLe47g (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 18, 2015, 23:28:11 PM
Had not heard of that one but can't say it is something I'd play. 
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on November 19, 2015, 05:50:16 AM
Great video :)
I laughed when the story started to scroll at the end and you nixed it.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 25, 2015, 18:51:57 PM
You thought the last game was bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsxMjQsJXY (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on November 25, 2015, 20:39:10 PM
From bad to worse?  LOL
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on November 25, 2015, 21:03:36 PM
I try not to be one of those youtubers that just slags stuff off to get views. NES Cybernoid actually offended me.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on December 03, 2015, 08:59:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuJXI7drSY (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Shadowrunner on December 03, 2015, 19:22:43 PM
Great looking game! This is another pricey one with it only being released in Japan.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on December 03, 2015, 19:25:55 PM
This one looks like fun. Going to give it a spin :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on December 03, 2015, 22:39:55 PM
That is a pricey one to get!  It does look good, though.
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on December 13, 2015, 11:11:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMSSpEZxR8 (//http)
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: Saturn on December 13, 2015, 16:52:22 PM
Ha, I remember buying this when it came out. Was excited to see a title with Jason and was ready for a genuine slasher.. then played it. Pretty much did the same thing. Wandered around aimlessly trying to figure out where to go and what to do. Made myself play for a few weeks hoping to develop a taste for it and found that if I went to the cabins that were under attack with that annoying alarm I could battle Jason there and die a lot faster.
It was a waste though as the alarm almost never stopped sounding. Eventually gave up and sold it to a video store for like $5 which was more than its worth. Too bad there was no internet back then. I could've skipped it altogether.
I'm contemplating trying it again with infinite health and children to see if it's beatable (by me lol). Probably be a waste of more time. :113:
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: TrekMD on December 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM
This one I have played and I've also reviewed.  Leaves much to be desired!  LOL
Title: Re: Never Played NES
Post by: sunteam_paul on December 17, 2015, 11:14:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_gfupQ7gJk (//http)