Let's Compare Donkey Kong!

Started by TrekMD, September 12, 2012, 18:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

Bobinator

I think it's funny how they show the Game Boy version and fail to mention its most important feature: It's a sequel.

See, after you beat the fourth stage, you still have DK fall on his head, and rescue Pauline. This time, though, Donkey Kong just gets up, grabs Pauline and runs off again. Basically, there's... I want to say 80... levels or so about Mario having to get a key to a door while avoiding enemies. It's actually a really good puzzle platformer, which only got one sequel on the GBA.

...Unless everybody knows this, in which case, never you mind.

CeefaxOfDelphi

DK really is one of my all time favourites, but the Atarisoft version for my Vic20 was always too expensive, so I don't really know what it was like? Anyone play it?

I settled for the Anirog Krazy Kong which had the ropiest artwork in history

onthinice

Not I, but would like to find a reasonable copy someday for the Vic-20.

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "onthinice"Thanks! I mean for at least considering the idea.

I don't have a ColecoVision to include that version but I can certainly compare all the Atari versions that I have.

I can make you a video of the game play from a ColecoVision.

Also, has anybody even considered the Donkey Kong for Intellivision by Coleco?  Boy that was awful!  I think it ruined my childhood.

dZ.

TrekMD

Quote from: "dzfoo"

I don't have a ColecoVision to include that version but I can certainly compare all the Atari versions that I have.

Also, has anybody even considered the Donkey Kong for Intellivision by Coleco?  Boy that was awful!  I think it ruined my childhood.

dZ.

That would be helpful! 

And yes, I already reviewed that atrocity!  LOL

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

dZ.

Wasn't that supposedly so bad that Mattell thought Coleco was trying to sabotage the machine? Looking at the screenshots, I can can certainly see that theory being very possible.

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "Bobinator"

dZ.

Wasn't that supposedly so bad that Mattell thought Coleco was trying to sabotage the machine? Looking at the screenshots, I can can certainly see that theory being very possible.

LOL! Yes, that was the theory.  As far as I know, legend also has it that a couple of the Blue Sky Rangers worked on their own proof-of-concept to show management that they could do a better port, and begged to be allowed to "fix" Coleco's travesty.  They were denied.

dZ.

--
Sent from my iPhone, so igmore teh typpos...

onthinice

I am glad they disproved that when the released Turbo and Venture. Those two Coleco games really turned out well for the Inellivision.

TrekMD

I think the conspiracy was with DK only!  They must have realized folks were not happy with their port so they allowed for other ports to be better done.  LOL

TrekMD

So, here is an image of what is currently being worked on for a new 2600 version of DK.

We'll have to wait and see if this can be completed as a new port of the game!

TL

TrekMD

TrekMD

Just found out about this NES version which includes the Pie Factory screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vO9lS256Y