The STAR FORCE PI - Electronic Tabletop Mini-Arcade

Started by TrekMD, October 03, 2015, 14:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starforcepilot

Cheers for reposting guys, I've been a bit busy. I've been contacting a lot of production companies for estimates, and it's quite difficult to research who's legit in Manderin or Serbian :P

On the plus side, I've collected all the parts I need to start building the STARFORCE NEO. I've done a hardware test and it's all running very smoothly, now I need to cram it into one console and make it pretty.

Also, a nice little 2-page feature came out in Retro Gamer Magazine.

Check out the story here: http://tinyurl.com/sfp-retrogame

Pick up a physical copy of Retro Gamer Magazine here: https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines/retrogamer.html

Shadowrunner

Thanks for the update :)  I'm really looking forward to seeing your Starforce Neo!

zapiy

I have the mag, look forward to reading the article and seeing more of the Neo system.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

starforcepilot

And the STARFORCE NEO is finished!

In parallel to working on a small-volume limited release run of the STARFORCE PI, I decided to explore the possibility of building a Neo Geo MVS into the smallest and lightest form factor possible. This was to compare actual Neo Geo games on original hardware with the more budget friendly emulated experience of the SFP. After roughly 4 months of working, tinkering, cutting, thinking and cursing I finished a fully functional mini Neo Geo MVS system: The STARFORCE NEO All-in-One System.

The entire build cost around €600, using original and premium components, with a further €150 euro for the extra controller and multicart (161-in-1 MVS to AES shell conversion + box).

Check out the STARFORCE PI blog for more pictures and a little more information on the system:
https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2016/ ... me-system/

SPECS:

·         Authentic SNK Neo Geo MV-1B hardware
·         Neo Geo MVS Cartridge Compatible
·         2x Neo Geo Controller Inputs (Player 1 & 2)
·         Integrated SEIMITSU Joystick & 6 buttons (Player 1)
·         Integrated 8" 480p LCD Screen (4:3) + HDMI Output
·         SmallCab SuperGun to SCART-to-HDMI
·         SGL3000 Scanline Generator
·         Logitech Z120 Internal 1.2Watt Stereo Speakers
·         3.5mm Headphone Stereo Jack
·         BeQuiet! Silent PSU SFW Power 2 400W
·         Vintage 1982 Minitel 1 Converted Case
·         Dimensions: 23 x 25 x 26 cm

I'll post some pictures and a video of it working with the multicart soon, and I will prepare a build report for the blog so you can have a look at the internals, and how I made certain features. I'd appreciate any feedback, questions and insights you can offer.

Enjoy!

Marcel
SFP Development Team

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

Expensive but it looks great! Are you going to try and get the cost down and make more?

starforcepilot

No this really was a one-off, it's way to labour intensive to do again. But you could definately do this cheaper, I went for quite expensive parts (the PSU alone was 65 euro) so it can be more economical. The focus is more on producing a small volume of the STARFORCE PI, which should be a lot more approachable for most people. I'll add a components list to the build report that I'm preparing for my blog, so you can have a closer look at the build process.

Cheers all!

zapiy

Looks amazing fella, you have a proper talent at this stuff.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

starforcepilot

Gaming on the STARFORCE NEO

Neo Geo MVS (1990) was the one system to beat them all! I grew up with SEGA's Master System and Mega Drive, but my cousin had a Neo Geo AES with Magician Lord. I played that game only six minutes when I was 10 years old, and that memory has stuck with me forever. Now, to relive that time with the STARFORCE NEO (2016)!

Allright, so the STARFORCE NEO works – let's play some games!

Metal Slug (1996) No one quite does Run & Gun games like Nazca does, specifically through their excellent Metal Slug series. The first episode of the franchise still stands as the most shining example of the 16-bit platformer era, and will remain my favorite game of the system.

Top Hunter (1994) I bought an MVS in my 20s and this game was one of four games I had for it, and easily my favorite, second only to Metal Slug. The graphics are beautiful and the two-player mode is so much fun, it's a bit of a goofy concept to get into, but really worth it.

Samurai Showdown II (1994) Extremely popular fighting series often remarked as one of the best games of all times just left me frustrated as I got my ass handed to me over and over again. Still, can't deny it awesomeness.

Eightman (1991) Based on a 1963 manga, you are a quick-running cyborg superhero that has to blast his way through beat'm up mayhem! It's a bit stale, but I enjoyed it.

Shock Trooper 2nd Squad (1998) Not really like the first version of the game, still a great mix of destruction and cartoon run & gun violence. Just a solid bit of fun!

Mutation Nation (1991) Neo Geo is classically known for its fighting games, but I've always been more interested in the platformer games. Mutation Nation is another beat'em up game that is great fun with some sweet action!

Viewpoint (1992) An isometric shooter game that I actually only got into with the STARFORCE NEO. It's really challenging, but really quite spectacular, and the music is amazing!

TrekMD

zapiy

Can I have it please lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starforcepilot

People are digging the SFNeo so much that I'm getting daily requests asking me to build and sell more! That's very cool, and I'm flattered, but no. Building a system like this is kind of insane, costly and timeconsuming. I've made a build blog that covers the motivation behind the system, the components used, how I made the curved screen with vacuumforming, a walkthrough of the initial hardware test, and the rational behind a rather convoluted video-signal transformation scheme.

Check the STARFORCE PI Development blog on the full story: https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/building-a-starforce-neo/

Blog excerpt:

'I kept the general L-shape of the MV-1B board with the black ABS plastic cartridge holder, removed the casing of the scart-to-HDMI converter & power supply and screwed them to the back of the ABS cover. I stacked the scanline generator and SuperGun on the top of the MV-1B board, and made sure it had some space between them. The audio came from two small Logitech speakers that I ripped apart and placed right behind the screen.'

zapiy

You can't blame people though mate, its a work of art.. You could possibly do 100 ONLY builds at a premium price that helps fun your real passion???

Worth thinking about.

starforcepilot

Cheers, yeah I wish I could make these by the dozen, but maybe I can approach it with the SFP :) Or if we can find someone that can make NeoGeo MVS clones!