Atari Jaguar: DOOM with fixed networking

Started by Saturn, August 02, 2016, 02:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturn

Quote from: rush6432 on August 14, 2016, 16:27:28 PM
Quote from: Saturn on August 14, 2016, 16:00:28 PM
Had network success for an hour and 43 minutes. Whether coincidence of not, it crashed when I'd reached the furthest point between characters on Area 7 of co-op. The console I was actively playing (since this was being tested without an actual 2nd player) went to the attempting to connect screen and remained there while the other console froze and no controls work at all.
I reset the console I was using by pressing Option and tried to reestablish a connection but the attempting screen never changed and the other console stayed frozen.
Seemed like everything worked great as long as the players were in close(r) proximity to one another. Put them on opposite sides of the map and that appeared to cause it to fail.
I'll test it repeatedly to see if it's consistent 8)

You should let carl know...

Sounds to me like an auto-reconnect feature or re-sync prior to restarting the whole game (like the old network code) is in order...

So bascically what it sounds like happened was one console lost communication and the other was frozen in a loop waiting for data from the other console. it didnt re-connect probably because one console was spitting out connection characters (the one that you reboot) and the other was waiting for a data packet containing controller data and the x/y/z position of the player. If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that it wont ever reconnect in that state as the initial connection screen only listens for one type of response and nothing else.

I posted in the thread at AA earlier so hopefully everyone will see it soon. Hope it can be worked out, this mode is too awesome to play for it not to get fixed now. Thanks for the info.

Saturn

Got these babies earlier and looking forward to setting up a test.

The adapters arrived yesterday so it should be move along pretty fast. Bought 4 bc I like overkill 8)

Only thing I don't know is the pinout of this adapter:

Don't know if it's the same as the J.U.G.S. pinout or altogether different:
(3) (2) (5) ( ) (4)
..( )..( )..( )..( )

(3)=Red
(2)=Black
(5)=Yellow
(4)=Green

Can you tell me any specifics @rush6432 ?

rush6432

Im not all that familar with the jugs pinout to be honest, id assume its probably the same, however i used this...

Its the same exact pinout for encrypting CDs with the jaglink via Matthias Domin's method.

All you really need is the TX (Transfer), RX (Receive), and GND (Ground) pins. the rest you can cut and tape up so they dont short out for any reason or just tape and tuck into the connector behind the DB9 when you assemble it.

ALSO, you'll need power supplies for those Serial to Ethernet converters. I believe they are 5V 1Amp if im not mistaken. Whenever you get it all setup, id be willing to give it a shot and attempt connection over the internet on doom but, not sure how well it will Fair. Aircars might be a better try.

Saturn

Thanks, a couple years ago when I was learning to encrypt CDs I tried the pinout pictured and couldn't get it to work. Was odd bc every resource said that was the way to go and apparently everyone else who was using it, State side or elsewhere, didn't have issues. I came across the JUGS pinout, used it and haven't had a single problem.
I still have both adapters right here next to me so I'll give either a try. Good to know it wasn't a 3rd possible pinout of some type.
I'll try to find some power supplies for the converters. Didn't know they were needed.
Does this look like it would work?

Saturn

Still wondering if this will ever get resolved. I sent emails to Thunderbird's 2 email addresses I had on Monday a week ago saying I'd heard he'd fixed the code and asked if it was for sale or available. Never heard back so not sure if he even uses those emails anymore. I've seen walterJ post about him having fixed it but no other info.

Would be nice to have that working in the map packs I made. Probably going to release them locked to the Skunk and SD Cart when it's available but having network play would be GREAT. I saw that Carl was ready to tackle it again. Sure hope he can get it going.