New Genesis/Mega Drive Homebrew: Handy Harvy

Started by dra600n, May 13, 2015, 23:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dra600n

Hey all! I've posted this on other forums and didn't see anything here (if there is, I apologize!), and since this community loves new games, I thought I should make a post about it :)

TrekMD

That looks cool.  Inspired by Felix, I take it.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Looks good so far, thanks for all the info :)

zapiy

That is awesome, looks fantastic I have to say and thanks for the info.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dra600n

TrekMD

That's awesome.  Looking forward to more of this. 

dra600n

Last night I was tooling around with some NES Development, and decided to see what it would take to put Harvy onto the NES as well as the Genesis/Mega Drive:

While it's not much, it does give me a good starting point. A lot of things to consider if I decide to do a NES port of the game, but it is a strong possibility. I spoke with Bunnyboy of RetroUSB for a little bit last night and asked if he would be willing to assist with the vertical scrolling and some other things if/when I get that far, and he's willing to help out, so that does help with the possibility of a NES release as well :)

TrekMD

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

dra600n

Posted a little update last night on the Facebook page and Twitter feed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLdLonAIAg

The beginnings of the HUD! As you can see, a column of the HUD is cut off by the building. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but since I'm using a specific scroll mode, BEX scrolls both planes at once, which means the HUD can't overlap the building since the building will scroll. This could be alleviated through ASM (learned this out on the Devster forums), but I'm not that good with ASM yet.

I also put in the trash bins/boxes at the bottom of the building so Harvy and Gary no longer float in the air and can still fix the lower windows on the bottom floors.

Cheers!

zapiy

I have to say this is looking really good fella.. Bravo. :113:

TrekMD

I agree with zap.  This is looking really good!

dra600n

Phew, the weekend has passed, and I have an update ;) ).
Third, Jerrod's AI has begun! While this is still an early build of the intro to the first stage, you should get a sense of what's to come!

And lastly, we have music! A big shout-out to Stef for his fantastic XGM sound driver!

The delay was due to me going through the proof of concept code and started optimizing it and really building the engine. The code before this was so sloppy and redundant (aside from the map scrolling portion as that was the first thing I did).

And now a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1gcfEn0Nnw

I hope you enjoy the update! :)

TrekMD

I guess we lost some of the updated stuff that had been posted.  Regardless, this is definitely one cool-looking game.  Looking forward to more.  :)