Mini NES

Started by Shadowrunner, July 14, 2016, 15:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcadeAction

I played one of these this weekend at FreePlay Florida 2016. A Nintendo representative had it on display. Quite nice I thought. If I didn't have a NES collection already this would be something I would pick up. The controller essentially feels the same, although the black label on the face of the controller is not set as deep into the control panel mold so that is a slight difference in feel. The controller weight is good though and buttons are nice. Great job on the console. It really makes for a fun playing experience - even on an LCD monitor.

Yes, I've heard the comments such as "we need a wireless controller" and "the controller wire is to short", however the NES was largely played by kids laying on the floor in front of the TV, and this brings it back. The original cord length could have been replicated. I am happy as is though.

TrekMD

That's cool that someone from Nintendo was there with one of these!  I'm thinking of not getting this but, rather, get the Nintendo AVS. I think that's a better investment.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ArcadeAction

Quote from: TrekMD on November 15, 2016, 23:45:05 PM
That's cool that someone from Nintendo was there with one of these!  I'm thinking of not getting this but, rather, get the Nintendo AVS. I think that's a better investment.

This was at the show also and it was hooked up often to the big projector. A great game I was previously unaware of that was a Famicon only release, Mr. Gimmick, was playing and also Castlevania for speed runs. It's a pretty great system with lots of features built in. I also played Super Mario 2 Japanese version on a Famicom that also had the Famicon Disk System.

TrekMD

Ah, nice!  I got to see the AES at PRGE.  It really is a cool system.  And you got to play the real Super Mario 2!  Cool!

ArcadeAction

A photo of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Famicom disk system.

Also played the SD multi carts for SNES and N64. They were loaded with disk drive games and many versions of SNES games had redone CD quality remixed music by an orchestra (Metroid, Zelda, etc). F-Zero disk drive version that used the extra N64 RAM and high frame rate was fun to play too.

I learn so much from collectors at these events.

wyldephang

The NES Classic is actually a smash retail hit, which is somewhat surprising. There was a lot of interest generated among longtime players and this is possibly the most success Nintendo has had with a home console (not handheld) release since the original Wii. Now, they're unveiling the Nintendo Switch, and let's hope that Nintendo continues their commitment to classic gaming by expanding their catalog of downloadable retro titles for the next generation of consoles.
- Ryan

AmigaJay

Yeah i keep an eye out for it, wish i pre ordered one now, no matter not paying stupid money, will wait until after xmas when stock is available for normal price!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

TrekMD

Nintendo already stopping production of these, apparently:  Rumor: NES Classic Mini reportedly ceasing production .

AmigaJay

Nintendo Uk came out to reply they haven't stopped production, though it doesn't help jack because there has not any sale since it became available for sale, the single most shockingly handled piece of gaming equipment ever!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Saturn

Yeah, this whole fiasco sounds very odd to me. I was interested back in the early days but the handling of this has left too much to wonder about so they can keep mine... if I was ever destined to get my hands on one, that is. Sounds like the people who run Wal mart (Wal Mark in the south) are in charge of this. If it sells, don't stock it. If it doesn't, use as much space on the shelves as possible. That theory would fit except there's no alternative product to scoff at in its place. Talk about dropping the ball.

TrekMD

They have really mishandled this.  They might as well stop making them because their mishandling has turned off a lot of people.

zapiy

Are you lot disgruntled because of the lack of stock or am I missing something on this guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

The handling of it is awful, Zap.  There are lots of people who want these and can't get them.  You'll hear jabs about it on many videos from people on YouTube when they post videos.  Even on the video I posted last night about the Atari 2600 Mini you'll hear it.

Saturn

I'm just being a lil bitch lol.
Mad bc I couldn't get one :p

In all seriousness, it would be fantastic to have but they've screwed up completely what could have been an epic reprise of the greatest console ever. Even the Tramiels could've done better..

Edit: Anyone feel free to edit that 1st sentence if needed :D