CD Drives

Started by obriethe1st, January 29, 2015, 17:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obriethe1st

Alright lads.
 Can any cd player be used for a 1200 if somebody could make a cable?Or is there firmware within the cdtv and cd32?I know you can just flash media but i just think an Amiga with a cd drive is  cool,i was repeatedly told in Amiga format and Amiga action that cd was the future.So was it worth having a cd drive back in the day and also would any cd drive work or would it need to have certain specs to work with the Amiga?

WiggyDiggyPoo

At one point back in the day it wasnt possible to use any drive, you had to use one of the Amiga specific.

I had a Zappo CD-ROM for a short time, it was interesting to browse Aminet CDs (Aminet was bigger than the Internet at one point :113:) and magazine cover CDs were good as you got a LOT of software.

But for the most part I didnt see the point as they were slow (1x or 2x speed) and CD32 games weren't worth buying over their Amiga equivelents (generally speaking, CD32 owners may disagree!).

These days, a quick google reveals you can either use SCSI via the trapdoor or a buffered IDE to connect CD-ROMs. Instructions are vague though, I have no idea how to do it sorry.

obriethe1st

Sorry about the late reply Wiggy.
Yes i never thought of the terminally slow drives from back then at least with the Amiga you could daisy chain floppy drives for the big games like Monkey island(awesome game.not so much with just the built in drive) ;-).I suppose it just seemed cool and cutting edge for the Amiga to be able to use those new fangled shiny discs to me at the time.I was just having a nostalgic trip down memory lane thinking of my 1200 before it went bang and thinking i would have liked to try one. As  there was little chance of my parents splashing out on the cd32 after upgrading me from my 500 to the 1200.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "obriethe1st"Sorry about the late reply Wiggy.
Yes i never thought of the terminally slow drives from back then at least with the Amiga you could daisy chain floppy drives for the big games like Monkey island(awesome game.not so much with just the built in drive) ;-).I suppose it just seemed cool and cutting edge for the Amiga to be able to use those new fangled shiny discs to me at the time.I was just having a nostalgic trip down memory lane thinking of my 1200 before it went bang and thinking i would have liked to try one. As  there was little chance of my parents splashing out on the cd32 after upgrading me from my 500 to the 1200.

You could get a CD drice for the A500 - It was called the A570 and had a single speed drive with a cartridge loading system which meant you had to put the CD in a caddy then put that in the drive. Its main use was to provide A500 owners with a similar experience to the newly released CDTV.

To be fair on CD ROM in the early days, no one really knew what to do with it so we had loads of Encarta type interactive encyclopedia's (and other info CDs) and lots of badly filmed video footage driven games.