Pitfall!

Started by TrekMD, August 26, 2012, 03:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Pitfall may not have been an arcade game but it was certainly adapted to several different consoles.  While the basic gameplay is the same in all of them, it is interesting to see how the game was changed visually and how the sounds were modified based on the capabilities of the each system.  Curiously, the C64 version is the only one with some music on this video.  It turns out that's because it is a homebrew version of the game.   Otherwise, there is no real music for any version of Pitfall.  Enjoy!  :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... JNYgNcO4Qk

This is the real version for the C64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAAoJWYi ... h_response

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

The 5200 version blew me away. That is a nice looking version of Pitfall.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"The 5200 version blew me away. That is a nice looking version of Pitfall.

The 5200 version definitely looks great.  I think it may be the best looking of all these versions also.  The only thing I don't like so much is the sound Harry makes when he runs.  It sounds like his pants are just rubbing between his legs!  I prefer more of the stepping sound from any of the other versions.  :)

onthinice

I have the two port 5200 and have always heard that Pitfall will not play on that model. I have Pitfall II for the 5200 and it plays fine. Any thoughts? The 5200 version did come after the 2600 so maybe Harry's legs got chaffed from running so much. :D

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"I have the two port 5200 and have always heard that Pitfall will not play on that model. I have Pitfall II for the 5200 and it plays fine. Any thoughts? The 5200 version did come after the 2600 so maybe Harry's legs got chaffed from running so much. :D

I have heard the same thing and I'm not sure why that is.  I have both the two- and four-port 5200's so I just play it on the four-port version.  Pitfall II plays just fine on either one.  Maybe someone else here knows why the issue with Pitfall on the two-port 5200.

onthinice

Thanks again for the video TrekMD. I hope someone might know the answer to Pitfall?

zapiy

Great stuff fella. The 5200 version does look nice but sluggish compared to the others I guess that's the trade off back then.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: "zapiy"Great stuff fella. The 5200 version does look nice but sluggish compared to the others I guess that's the trade off back then.

I suppose that is the trade off.  It may be related to the controllers also. 

TL

Check the interviews section if you want to ask Pitfall creator David Crane some questions!  8)

TrekMD

I already posted some to get the ball rolling!

TL

Don't forget the Jaguar version where the original 2600 game is included as a bonus extra!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBWP5FS33P8

TrekMD

I really like this version of Pitfall also because it still has many aspects in common with the original Pitfall. 

onthinice

You mean besides the name? :D

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"You mean besides the name? :P

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TrekMD"I really like this version of Pitfall also because it still has many aspects in common with the original Pitfall.

I bought this game on the Genesis years ago and enjoyed it but always thought the control was a little off.  Not too long ago I finally picked up the Jag version and couldn't believe how much better the control was. I knew the graphics would be better but I had no idea how much better the Jag version was.