Atari 7800 Vs. Nintendo Entertainment System

Started by TL, September 14, 2012, 19:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogstandard

The base NES had one advantage: tile based graphics built in.  This wasn't even a real advantage either until better marketing and console expansions built into the cartridges popularized it.

guest5175

This is probably not totally fair but Centipede (Atari 7800) vs Millipede (NES). Funny enough, the 7800 didn't have Millipede and the NES didn't have Centipede.

7800 Centipede:

Atari 7800 Centipede

NES Millipede:

Millipede NES (round 1-16)

guest5175

Dig Dug. NES had Dig Sug II although I don't think anyone considered that an advantage given the game itself :P):

Dig Dug - Atari 7800

NES:

Dig Dug NES

TL

But funny enough a 7800 version of Millipede was planned for release!

I would still chose 7800 Centipede here, for the 2-player option alone!!!  :69:

Dig Dug has already been posted earlier in the thread.

TL

You know what, I take that back! Somehow I missed out Dig Dug!!!  :13:

No idea how I did that when it's one of my favourite 7800 games. Having played both versions I can say with confidence that the 7800 version wins, especially as it has no sprite flicker unlike the NES port.

guest5175

Yeah I made sure to check beforehand ;)

Here is another one that we have to stretch on however, the game styles are similar (Pole Position has a baby with Spy Hunter)

Atari 7800 - Fatal Run (NOTE - all of the videos I can find of this are fairly poor quality with bad compression. Another case of needing to see this one run on a real machine)

Atari 7800 - Fatal Run

NES - Astro Fang Super Machine - pretty good quality videos are around for this one at least.

Astro Fang Super Machine (NES) - Stage 1

guest5175

More stretching! I don't see the harm in comparing games where the styles are similar. But one thing the NES always had over the 7800 was game selection so there are a lot of styles that we will probably never see how the 7800 could handle them.

For motorcycle racing:

Atari 7800 - Motor Psycho - this is Pole Position-esque again but just a focus on motorbike racing. Best example I could find.

Motor Psycho-Atari 7800

NES - Mach Rider - Closest thing I could find, obviously it plays quite a bit different (great video that goes up to 1080p if you like)

Mach Rider Walkthrough/Gameplay NES HD 1080p

TrekMD

It's been a while since anything got posted here so here is a video I found on YouTube looking at various games in both systems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqjXnVC ... WL&index=6

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Some interesting titles there, in my opinion, both machine have their merits, but when put up against a machine that has had a mass market versus a machine that had only 70 odd titles compared Over 700 it's actually unfair to compare them in this manner, old arcade ports do not define a console to be better or worse each other and reading this thread, the bias is off the wall in places completely and can be clearly seen to be nothing more.

The 7800 had some fantastic games that could be high up there, but unfortunately to compare to a machine with had support from the USA and Japan where new grounds were been broken there is no real comparison, but this is a case of  saying one thing and meaning another, since Atari was offered the chance to Market the NES but decided to say no and end up been left behind. But I think the 7800 had a great and important place at the time, but a V.S. scenario is far out weighted by the NES and its original IP's and not just a handful of its own original and arcade ports.

TrekMD

The Atari of the time made many mistakes.  Delaying the release of the 7800 was among them (thing may have turned out differently had they not), not using the POKEY chip in every 7800 game was another.  The latter would have made the system more competitive.  Nintendo did all they could to enhance the NES with cart hardware.  Nonetheless, the 7800 clearly had a potential and the homebrew developers have demonstrated that.

TrekMD

This thread needs some stuff fixed but I figured I'd add it to the thread.  Always interesting seeing the systems compared.  This video compares several aspects of the system like controllers, game library, price, etc.  Have a watch...