Underappreciated Megadrive/Genesis Games

Started by zapiy, September 08, 2013, 19:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "SnakeEyes"
Quote from: "The Laird"Definitely agreed on those first 3 and it's absolutely criminal that the 2 Taito games never got a western release in my opinion as I am sure they would have sold in their thousands.

Never played Insector X but only hear good things about it. It's one of those games that I keep meaning to buy but have just never got round to. I must correct that soon!

I don't know if you agree but I find Magical hat far more appealing to look at than Decappattack.

I am not a fan of cutesy platformers really so actually prefered the latter version, although I know most people prefer the original.

TrekMD

I haven't seen anyone metion Mr. Nutz here.  Has anyone played it?  From what I've read it is pretty good.  Here is a video of the game: 

[align=center:21eb5gdt]Mr Nutz - Sega Mega Drive/Genesis - Part 1 (100% completed)[/align:21eb5gdt]

This one is better quality but it cannot be embedded:  Mr. Nutz (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis) полное прохождение.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

Quote from: "TrekMD"I haven't seen anyone metion Mr. Nutz here.  Has anyone played it?  From what I've read it is pretty good.  Here is a video of the game: 

[align=center:3vhbkyso]Mr Nutz - Sega Mega Drive/Genesis - Part 1 (100% completed)[/align:3vhbkyso]

This one is better quality but it cannot be embedded:  Mr. Nutz (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis) полное прохождение.

To be totally honest, it's actually pretty slow and generic, as far as these sorts of game go. It's not terrible, I'll be honest, but it's very... safe, I guess the word is, and if I really had to think of something to compare it to, I'd say it's basically Castle of Illusion without the license or charm.

I would recommend looking out for the prototype for the sequel, though. It never actually got a release for the Genesis/Mega Drive, which is a shame. It's a lot bigger in scope and ambition than the original game, including an overworld between levels where you can find items in the main levels to open up more of it. It's also generally a much faster, interesting game, in my book.

TrekMD

Thanks.  I'll have to see if I can find the sequel.

TL

We already mentioned Zero Tolerance, but another massively under rated FPS for the Mega Drive is Domark's Blood Shot. The engine on this game is even more impressive, it's full screen and incredibly smooth. Interestingly it also got a marginally improved Mega CD conversion too. In the US this game is known as Battle Frenzy.

[align=center:o29ntdx8]Battle Frenzy Blood Shot[/align:o29ntdx8]

Never heard of this one fella, does look a good game..

Have you played both versions?

TrekMD

That looks cool.  I guess the censors in the US didn't like the word "blood" in the title of the game.

onthinice

Nice looking game :113: Looks like it has some very smooth gameplay.

TL

This is another game that needs to be mentioned in this thread - Sub-Terrania. It's multi-directional shooter with elements of games like Gravitar and Thrust that was developed by Danish coders Zyrinx, who also did the amazingly impressive Red Zone that I posted in another thread.

[align=center:3g762ep7]Mega Drive Longplay [209] Sub-Terrania[/align:3g762ep7]

TrekMD

I tried playing this over the weekend but I really need to read the instructions!  It does look like a fantastic game.

guest5124

One of my top Megadrive games and you don't really hear it mentioned often is Daze Before Christmas. I'm assuming it's not talked about often because of its rarity but it's an awesome platformer! This games actually became part of a Christmas tradition in our house. Me and my son usually stay up till like 3am playing this and Christmas nights into Dreams. And then finish the night off with the Twilight Zone episode Night of the Meek :113:

TrekMD

Oh we mentioned it in the Christmas Games thread.  :)

guest5124

I didn't realize there was a Christmas game thread, I'll definitely be checking that out! I'm gonna have to agree with you on the difficulty level. I think its just enough that it can really be enjoyed.

TrekMD

guest5124

Will definitely check them out. Thanks for the info!

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC