Let's Compare - Doom

Started by TL, September 07, 2012, 23:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Cool video. Never seen some of those versions before.
Doom is one of my favourite games, still play it fairly often.

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Cool video. Never seen some of those versions before.
Doom is one of my favourite games, still play it fairly often.

I love the Jaguar version, I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing that game when I bought it back in the day.

onthinice

I have a few of those versions. Even have some old dos shareware disks. Like Barney the Purple Dinosaur Doom.

AmigaJay

God even the 32x version is smoother than the 3do version, just shows how bad the dev team were for the 3do!
Trouble is running on the PC now obviously runs at a million fps, but back then you needed a £2000 PC to run anywhere near those shown frame rates....also they say the PS1 version is the same, actually it has better lighting than the PC version, it's also my favourite version, I used to play 2 player link up with back to back tvs In my bedroom using only 1 disc!

Still impressed with the gba versions.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

DreamcastRIP

I believe the NTSC-J release of Doom (Saturn) featured a marginally faster/smoother frame rate than what was released in the West on said SEGA console.

(I'm not watching that 25 minute vid to verify if this is mentioned!)
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Interesting how this video comparison starts off.  They both look pretty good. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Cool video but hard to watch at times, feeling dizzy. Lol

nakamura

Love the PS1 version of Doom the most overall but to be honest I love the game that much I would play just about any version.

TL

Shadowrunner

Wow, and I thought the SNES version looked bad!

dcultrapro

I played the Saturn version again last night. I know Laird will kill me for saying this but I still prefer the Saturn version to the jag hands down. Least of all for the fact that you can see it in full screen but its actually got nice ambient sounds that lend real atmosphere... I know Jaguar purists say its better without but I think playing it without is pretty jarring and ruins the experience. but then I grew up used to the Saturn version with the music... please don't hate me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJ9fcVTaGg

just watched that compare vid, it doesn't have the shit music that the 3D0 and PC engine ones do and its graphics look relatively good by comparison to all of them, except the obvious doom 3 lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I played the Saturn version again last night. I know Laird will kill me for saying this but I still prefer the Saturn version to the jag hands down. Least of all for the fact that you can see it in full screen but its actually got nice ambient sounds that lend real atmosphere... I know Jaguar purists say its better without but I think playing it without is pretty jarring and ruins the experience. but then I grew up used to the Saturn version with the music... please don't hate me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJ9fcVTaGg

just watched that compare vid, it doesn't have the shit music that the 3D0 and PC engine ones do and its graphics look relatively good by comparison to all of them, except the obvious doom 3 lol

You are completely mental!  :P