The Amstrad GX4000

Started by zapiy, April 15, 2011, 18:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

A scan I just came across on my hard drive from C&VG announcing the new console:

DreamcastRIP

Sugar was hawking the tarted up CPC6128 for £329 without a monitor in 1990 when the 16-bit Atari ST could be picked up for £299? Comedy gold!

Oh, and one would never guess Rignall was a C-64 nut given his comments there about the sound chip, lol!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Sugar was hawking the tarted up CPC6128 for £329 without a monitor in 1990 when the 16-bit Atari ST could be picked up for £299? Comedy gold!

Oh, and one would never guess Rignall was a C-64 nut given his comments there about the sound chip, lol!

:-) He was also quite a CPC nut it seems, he wrote some angry comments in reply to a reader, who wrote into Zzap 64 slagging the C64, think he described him as 'blinkered' and had he not seen Ping Pong, Highway Encounter, Batman etc?

avick

I was really curious about this one, never having owned an Amstrad (unless we're talking late model Speccy's).  Picked one up off Ebay, plugged it in and absolutely hated it.  As has been said before, the controller is really atrocious and the whole experience didn't do anything for me.  It got packed straight back into the box, and put into the loft.

Alberto 2K

This is one of the worst consoles ever released IMO, there are just two or three decent games and neither of them were groundbreaking. Only for Amstrad fans.

A friend of mine bought one some months ago and also hated it immediately! :24:
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

onthinice

DreamcastRIP

Gotta love that EGM article for having stated,

QuoteAnd game quality? At this point it is standard Amstrad stuff, which translates into a pretty lackluster level of gaming.

::)
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Gotta love that EGM article for having stated,

QuoteAnd game quality? At this point it is standard Amstrad stuff, which translates into a pretty lackluster level of gaming.

::)

EGM...ahhh are'nt they the mag that gave Aliens:Col.Marines on 360 90%?

Gorf

EGM

Erection Gobbling Morons!!!

TL

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Operation Thunderbolt and Robocop 2 were mentioned earlier in the thread so here they are:

[AMSTRAD GX4000] Operation Thunderbolt - Longplay (Part 1 of 3)

[AMSTRAD GX4000] Robocop 2 - Review & Longplay (100%)

Title music on Op.Thunderbolt sounds way too 'jolly' for game of this type.

In-game:Visually, lot of nice. big sprites, but purple mountains? yeuck.

Robocop 2:

Loved the title music, looks great, but...screams to me of a standard 8 Bit platformer, just with a very fast moving Robocop sprite in it.

Not personally what i'd expect or want from a Robocop game.far too little shooting for myself.

Mire Mare

All this GX4000 chat has lead me on a journey into the depths of the loft and I have returned with my GX4000 console!  I'm hoping to fire it up over the weekend.

TL

Quote from: "Mire Mare"All this GX4000 chat has lead me on a journey into the depths of the loft and I have returned with my GX4000 console!  I'm hoping to fire it up over the weekend.

Make sure you wear protection.

Mire Mare

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Mire Mare"All this GX4000 chat has lead me on a journey into the depths of the loft and I have returned with my GX4000 console!  I'm hoping to fire it up over the weekend.

Make sure you wear protection.
My only aid, as an ageing gamer, will be spectacles.  I'll be using a Philips monitor and the sad, but true, fact is that a 14" screen means that specs are necessity.  Even with these I may still be suffering severe asthenopia come Monday and a sick day may be required!

Gorf

The system looks like it can generate a lot of colorful graphics for it's time. Shame...could have done a nice version
of Gorf on it.