The Super Nintendo thread.

Started by nakamura, January 05, 2013, 23:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Yeah I know what you mean. My top 10's are based on how much I played a game. I never had the fortune back then of owning every single game so I work on the basis of back then and what I played most out of my collection.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

nakamura

Hehe, no need to explain.  :D

Nine hours into Final Fantasy 6 now and loving it. Just done the opera scene and it was still very well done after all these years. Very dark game it is too.

Still, maybe someone will join soon that actually likes Final Fantasy!

Power Drive, just got the Celica on stage 6 and that is an ace game.

Bobinator

I've been playing the SNES since I was 4 or so, ever since my cousin used to own one. Eventually, I ended up getting one of my own, which means I didn't have to drive an hour to his house to play it. Off the top of my head, he had Mortal Kombat (I didn't know about the arcade version at the time), Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo, (Yeah, he had both. Don't ask me why.) and Super Mario World. He also had a Game Genie, which my grandmother would use to attempt to play Super Mario World.

Eventually, when I got my own, I ended up getting stuff like Super R-Type, Earthworm Jim, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Honestly, out of all of those, I'd say EWJ aged the best.

onthinice

I bought the Super Nes when it first came out. I was impressed with Super Mario World at the time. Were the Super Nes shines is games like Adventures of Batman & Robin, Aerobiz, Batman Returns, Donkey Kong Country, Sim City, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Off-Road, UN Squadron, Wings 2: Aces High, and Wing Commander.

I have never played the Legend of Zelda or any of the Final Fantasy games. I have Zelda and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest but have not devoted anymore time than making sure they loaded in my Snes correctly.

Games that have not held up for me Alien vs. Predator, Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3, Super Chase H.Q., and most of the sports titles.

To my surprise I recently discovered Ultima VII. It is frustrating at times but I still want to keep playing.

Bobinator

Quote from: "onthinice"To my surprise I recently discovered Ultima VII. It is frustrating at times but I still want to keep playing.

If you're enjoying Ultima 7, you want the DOS version much more, trust me. The original version had a lot more features, like having an actual party, and more interactivity in the world. It's also got a better story. For one thing, you know how there's a kidnapping at the start of the SNES version? In the original version, that's a MURDER.

onthinice

Thanks Bobinator! The DOS version sounds really good.

TL

Found a couple of cool articles on the cancelled SNES CD:

onthinice

I was ready to buy the Super Nintendo/Sony Playstation till they canceled the thing. Funny that Sony kept the name.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "onthinice"I was ready to buy the Super Nintendo/Sony Playstation till they canceled the thing. Funny that Sony kept the name.

Mentioned this in the Fiction/Fact thread, but word has it Sony payed Yamaha an 'undisclosed' sum to buy the PLAYSTATION name, so guess if true, no wonder they kept it.

DreamcastRIP

Wasn't it originally called the 'Play Station' within Sony before they settled on 'PlayStation'?

(Yes, I know about the relevance of 'PSX' here!)
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Crusto

I owned both back in the day, my SMD was a crimbo present but I had to work an entire summer holiday to save up for the SNES. I wasn't disappointed, it was a great console. That and the SMD complimented each other perfectly and for me it was better to be in both camps than stick all my eggs in one basket. Both machines had far too much to offer to be ignored. I forgot to mention that I was lucky enough to own the PCE too, another fantastic console and probably my favourite overall.

Great era, great times, great games.
Bitches leave

SnakeEyes

Quote from: "Crusto"I owned both back in the day, my SMD was a crimbo present but I had to work an entire summer holiday to save up for the SNES. I wasn't disappointed, it was a great console. That and the SMD complimented each other perfectly and for me it was better to be in both camps than stick all my eggs in one basket. Both machines had far too much to offer to be ignored. I forgot to mention that I was lucky enough to own the PCE too, another fantastic console and probably my favourite overall.

Great era, great times, great games.

I had to sell my MD to get a Snes. Never regretted it but It still did not stop me from occasionly being jealous of certain games coming out for the MD.

Both 2 of the greatest machines ever. Pains me to see people calling any one of the other crap. Its usually people falling into the trap of thinking that if they prefer one then that automatically means the other was crap. Its a case of people just trying to validate their choice when in reality you can still prefer one over the other and admit both were great. Its really surprising how many people fail to understand that.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "The Laird"I just found this absolutely classic video:

Parents Upset Over New Nintendo Console - Super Nintendo - Circa 1991

Classic indeed! Great to see  :)

TrekMD

Blame the video games!  Classic indeed!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...