Sega Mega CD Thread

Started by dcultrapro, April 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

I was looking at what Mega CD games there were that were not released in PAL and came across this game - Ninja Warriors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8ZPKFa39s

I remember playing both the Spectrum and arcade version of this. It seems strange that a game that was so popular in the arcades was never released over here. Wouldn't mind playing this Mega CD version even if it does look a bit boring and dated these days.

guest4277

Great version of an awesome theme!

Rogue Trooper

Surprised to see Zero giving good scores to 2 MCD games i saw slamned elsewhere:

Sol-Feace Overall 80%

Graphics, Sound, addictiveness+Playability all getting 8's.

Earnest Evans Overall 90% and a Mega Zone award.

Graphics 9, sound 8, addict.9+Playability 8.

dcultrapro

Sol Feace is AWESOME! Who would slam that? I need to get into my Mega CD more soon, I have 20+ great games including Wolfchild, Terminator and Battle Corps to name a few
Ultrapro on xbox live

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "dcultrapro"Sol Feace is AWESOME! Who would slam that? I need to get into my Mega CD more soon, I have 20+ great games including Wolfchild, Terminator and Battle Corps to name a few

I probably would have, had i been given it to review at the time.Never went much on it as a MCD owner, BattleCorps and Terminator S.E were both A)Fantastic and B)Exactly the sort of games i wanted from the MCD.

UPDATE:Looks like i'll be ordering a slice or 2 of humble pie for my table, C+VG loved it as well:

Frank O'conner reviewed it:

Graphics 86%, Sound 90%, Playability 87%, Lastability 88%.

Overall 89%.

Rogue Trooper

Heavy Nova MCD review/C+VG

Graphics 81%
Sound 90%
Playability 78%
Lastability 79%
Overall 80%

Reviewer (and i've forgotten who it was... :-( ), sais rumour had it, developer was told to treat development of game as nothing more than a MD Cartridge game, just with the bonus of huge amounts of storage space, so they threw in lots of:Levels, sprites, music etc, but made no use of the MCD custom sprite chips.

TL

It's a pretty crap game so that score surprises me

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"It's a pretty crap game so that score surprises me

Given C+VG's history of scores given over the years, nothing surprises me.

Love getting feedback from people who played/own the games i'm bringing up on here and seeing how they differ in views to those the 'professional' reviewers had.

onthinice

Do you have any of the console reviews Rogue Trooper? Curious to see what the rating for a Mega CD system was when it came out.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "onthinice"Do you have any of the console reviews Rogue Trooper? Curious to see what the rating for a Mega CD system was when it came out.

Whilst i've several features looking at the Mega CD, be it on it's own or a VS (SNES VS MCD), UK Press did'nt rate it as such, after all the hardware is only as good as the games that used it, so 'best' i can do is continue to post game review scores from various UK Publications and you guys say wether you think they are 'fair' or not.

Hows that sound?-Not touching things like MEGA though, those muppets initally claimed the MCD had NO custom sprite hardware, Doh!.

2 EDGE review scores on MCD:

Slipheed 7/10 (graphically far more impressive than starfox, but not as involving, pathetic bosses).

Ecco The Dolphin 8/10.

onthinice

Is the Model I or II preferred more in some parts of Europe over other parts?

TL

Model 1 for Stereo sound  8)

Rogue Trooper

Few examples of UK mag scores for MCD games, giving OVERALL ratings only:

Ground Zero Texas:84% Mean Machines Sega.75% (and OK rating) in C+VG

Chuck Rock II 75% C+VG

Powermonger: 76% Sega Magazine.74% Mean Machines sega (slated somewhat for being slower than MD cart version).

Dragons Lair:50% Sega Magazine. 67% Mean Machines.

These ALL from Mean Machines:

Night Trap 89%
Sewer Shark 82%
Final Fight 95%
NFL's Greatest 5%
Prince Of Persia 72%
Jaguar XJ220 90%
Time Gal 63%
Double switch 89%

Also:Both EDGE+Mean Machines made good note of Thunderhawk doing things SNES with Mode 7 could'nt do-ie banking of background and EDGe also pointed out the Texture Mapping.

Asked about MCD in letters page, Jaz rignal said hardware was good, games varied in quality.

Mean Machines preview of Slipheed was a bit miss-leading in places, bigged up the plotted 500,000 Polygons, but did'nt make clear they were pre-rendered, stored on CD then streamed off, caused a few readers to get tad confused as to what MCD could do.

Also, recal likes of Mean Machines etc pointing out that with things like Flashback, Red Zone, Ranger-X, Contra Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes etc pulling off various things you expected only from MCD-ie cutscenes (Flashback had on cart), FMV+Sprite tom foolery (Red Zone) etc did you really need to spend £270 to get the best from your MD? Issue not helped by cartridge version of Prince Of Persia being better than the MCD version.

Rogue Trooper

Found a few more odds n sods from the UK press:

C+VG in previewing it from Japan, talked of their being no reason not to expect SEGA to convert likes of Rad Mobile, G-Loc, Powerdrift (any of their Scaler based coin-ops) to MCD as hardware ideally suited (we knew that, C+VG knew that, SEGA however.....sigh.).

In their SNES VS MCD feature, they said MCD was a 'dead hard' bit of kit, only trouble was 1st few games were'nt really tapping into the hardware, Sol Feace-they said was a dissapointment in the graphics dept, no better than MD cart shooters like Thunderforce etc and could be mistaken for a cart game....and ' a little birdie' had told them Sonic 2 was appearing on MCD 1st.....

British games press eh? lol.