Portland Retro Gaming Expo

Started by TrekMD, October 14, 2015, 02:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I'm going to this even this year and I'm really looking forward to it!  There are quite a few guests that will be cool to meet.  Here are some names:

Metal Jesus Rocks
    Pat Contri and Ian Ferguson
    David Crane
    Joe Decuir
    Al Alcorn
    Atari Programmers - Bob Smith, Tod Frye, Rob Zdybel, Howard Scott Warshaw
    Howard Scott Warshaw
    The Gaming Historian
    Game Sack

The event takes place October 21-23 this year and it is three days long this time around.  You can see more details by going to the link on the first post. Any RVG members going?  I know the guys from The Intellivisionaries are going.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Saturn

Sounds good. I won't be going but looks like quite the event this time 8)

TrekMD

Last year's event was pretty awesome from what I saw people post.  This one looks to be even better.  There are always exclusive releases at this event as well.  I believe there are a number of Intellivision titles being released this year and maybe even something for the Jaguar.

Saturn

That rocks. I'd like to meet James Rolfe lol. Guy kills me :D

TrekMD

Well, the day has come.  I'm about to head to the airport so I can fly to Portland for PRGE!  I can hardly wait to be there (but I do have a long stretch of flights before I make it!).  My last box of RVG business cards is coming along with me so I can spread the word.  :)

Saturn

Awesome, man! Good luck with the traveling and looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Shadowrunner

Cool! Have fun and take lots of pics :)

TrekMD

Thanks and definitely!  Got the camera ready.  :)

TrekMD

OK guys, I have put together my pictures album from the event.  You can see the pictures here:  PRGE 2016.  A couple of pics were taken by someone else (like the group pictures) but I wanted to include them.  You can check out a video of Jr. Pac-Man, introduced at the event, below.

Shadowrunner

Great pics :) Love that wall of boxed 2600 games!

TrekMD

Thanks!  Yes, that was quite the display in the museum.  One cool thing about this even was getting to meet some of the programmers, who are very nice guys.  I wonder if we can interview some of them for the site.  Bob Smith and Denis Koble who started Imagic would be cool to interview.

Saturn

Awesome video of Jr Pacman. I'd love to be playing that right now 8)

Saturn

Those game display 'walls' are insane! Jesus, that must be a ton of work to put all that together.
I've never seen anything like that and wondering how much they cost. Don't know if I'd really be able to set up something similar in my house but interesting nonetheless.
Great pics. Looks like this year was the biggest so far.

Saturn

I bet that event rakes in a crapload of money to the area. Did you have to get your reservations 6 months in advance? Just wondering how fast the hotels sell out and stuff like that. I saw a bunch of Japanese import games on one of the tables along with a Super Famicom. I'd love to have one of those too lol. Not the mini one coming out but the real deal. The one I was looking at was still in the box... or it was an empty box :p
Any recollection what the going price was for some of the vintage consoles?
Man, that looks like a blast 8)

TrekMD

Hey Saturn, let me see what I can answer.
1.  Jr. Pac-Man on the Intellivision is still being worked on but will be seeing release in 2017.  It's almost complete.
2. The cost of the mid-sized booths is $275 which does include two tickets.  No idea what the larger ones cost but it should be over $500.
3.  I didn't check the prices for the consoles as I wasn't really looking for one.  I glanced at some add-ons and did see some Nomads but the prices for those went from a bit pricey to ridiculous. 
4.  I did all my travel and hotel in February of this year, so a good 8 months ahead of time.  That got me the hotel room at the convention rate ($130/night) at the DoubleTree.  The Motel 6 nearby cost $100/night.  The $30 more per night was worth it, from what I heard.  I did use miles for the ticket to get there but it cost me the lowest amount possible given the advance "purchase."