NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx Must Have Games!

Started by TL, February 11, 2012, 21:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

I have only played a fairly small selection of the library (PCE emulation is rubbish) but here are the best 10 games I have for my TurboGrafx. Please feel free to post your own like in the other threads!

Blazing Lazers - This was the game that came free with the limited release PAL version of the system and what a game. One of the best vertically scrolling shooters I have ever played with great graphics, brilliant sound, well designed levels, no slowdown and fantastic power-ups.

Ninja Spirit - A conversion by Namco of thier own arcade game this is the TG equivalent of the MD's Revenge Of Shinobi with some really original elements too. In this fighting game when you power up your ninja gains "spirits" who run along side you and follow your attacks for extra fighting power!

Pacland - I am not normally a fan of platformers but have always loved this game from the first time I played it in an arcade. I think its probably because I loved the Pacman cartoon this game is based on so much as a kid, but its a great conversion anyway and I still hum the soundtrack all the time to this very day.

R-Type - Fun fact here: this game was the very first PC Engine game I ever played and what a first game to have tried! Back then I just couldn't believe a home console could do an arcade game like this so well, even today this is one of thebest horizontal shoot 'em ups available anywhere.

Outrun - Sega's driving classic is without doubt one of the best games ever made with my favourite video game soundtrack ever made. This version for the NEC machine is absolutely superb and even more impressive than the one on Sega's own Megadrive console!

Galaga '90 - The original Galaga was the sequel to the classic Galaxian and was one of the first shooting games to add scrolling. This updated version keeps all the classic gameplay and adds a ton of new features to make this pretty much the perfect retro shoot 'em up experience!

Devil Crush - I love pinball and even more I love fantasy pinball, this game is the latter and definately one of the best out there. Use the flippers to fire the ball at all sorts of monsters and try to lock it in the holes to play the amazingly good looking bonus games.

Splatterhouse - Quite simply one of the most horrifically violent video games ever made this scrollig beat 'em up quite blatently takes its inspiration from various Hollywood horror films with your main character bearing an uncanny resemblance to one Jason Vorhees from Friday 13th.

Final Lap Twin - Can Namco do any wrong on this system? It seems not as half this list is taken up by their games. Here we have another great arcade conversion that will surely satisfy your need for speed. What makes this game even better is the split screen 2-player mode!

Space Harrier - I am a real sucker for all things Sega and especially these classic super scaler arcade games so I couldn't help but add this to my list. The best console version of its era; the graphics are great, sound is wonderful with both excellent music and speech and the game plays just like it should.

CeefaxOfDelphi

i quite liked Bonk. platformers are my thing - played it on a friend TG16.

Are all the below games pal?

TL

Quote from: "CeefaxOfDelphi"i quite liked Bonk. platformers are my thing - played it on a friend TG16.

Are all the below games pal?

Technically there are no PAL games as the limited release PAL TurboGrafx just played American games and had an encoder built in to transfer the picture from NTSC to PAL.

dot.fyre

Photograph Boy is one of my favourite games ever.

Yeah, that is Michael Jackson!

CeefaxOfDelphi

Photography Boy looks funny - is it a papazzi kind of 2d game?  Pokemon Snap is the only photo game I ever played - but it was on n64 so all my snaps were fuzzy  ;)

TL

Quote from: "stvd"Photograph Boy is one of my favourite games ever.

Yeah, that is Michael Jackson!

I played that at a show last year, it's hilarious!

dot.fyre

Quote from: "CeefaxOfDelphi"Photography Boy looks funny - is it a papazzi kind of 2d game?  Pokemon Snap is the only photo game I ever played - but it was on n64 so all my snaps were fuzzy  ;)

Your character moves left-to-right (the screen scrolls also so you can't just stand still).
And you control the camera cross-hair trying to catch events with your camera (a lot of it requires split second timing). All the while moving and jumping to avoid skateboards, plant pots and bouncing balls?????
Has a lot of very funny movie/music references in it too.
I can't remember if you actually see your shots (I don't think so) it's more about you actually "shooting" at the right moment in the right spot.