You fancy helping?

Started by zapiy, January 23, 2012, 00:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartread

Hey, so I know you were after some articles.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but I've been working on an Javascript/HTML5 version of Star Castle that I'm planning to release shortly. I would have had it done already but life being what it is, the current gig I'm on has overrun by a couple of months and is getting right in the way. There's a video of an early demo at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV87AKRP6xI. (Apologies for the crappy sound quality - couldn't get Soundflower to do proper duplex using the internal soundcard.)

Quite a lot has changed since that came out: scores, lives, level progression, better collision detection, it now works on both iOS and Android with hybrid touch/tilt controls. I'm also about to add game controller support because fundamentally, whilst touch can work really well for some types of games, I don't think it's great for controlling arcade style games. Still, once it's done you should be able to point your desktop/laptop/tablet/mobile browser at the URL and it should just work.

I think the game's probably easier than the original, at least on the lower levels. I wanted something that captured the spirit without being ludicrously hard from the outset, which I think would put a lot of people of... plus I don't have quite the same pressing need to extract as many 10p pieces from as many people as possible in the shortest time possible as a real arcade game.

Similarly I'd like to do versions of some other classics - Defender/Defender 2/Stargate being my immediate preference.

Anyway, point is, happy to write an article about it, if you think it would be interesting.

Cheers,

Bart

zapiy

Bart, absolutely, we want to cover all relevant stories on top of what we already do.. So please feel free.

Cracking work btw.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

MadCommodore

I wrote a couple of reviews for really obscure and typically British C64 games I could adapt for whatever the house style is here if wanted. If any admin staff want to see them on their host site I can send the links if required.

zapiy

Can you pm TrekMD he is in charge of reviews..

Are you familiar with joomla?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

WAHEY!!!

Able to log in again - at long last!!!

Happy to write reviews.. I know I promised coding help but just can't motivate myself that way after working in IT all day..

2600, SNES, NES, MD, Saturn, N64, DC, PS1/2, 360 and GC are all on my radar.

TrekMD

Cool, good to have you back!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Good to have you back chap, no worries on the coding but welcome to the review team.

Greyfox

Great to have a back Davy, looking forward to your reviews too. Have a good one.

zapiy

Looking for avid fans of the scene to join the NEWS team..

Posting on the forum and the homepage all the latest news from around the scene.