Sega Mega CD - AVGN

Started by TL, October 05, 2012, 14:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobinator

For me, I would have to say that Sonic CD and Eternal Champions CD are probably my two favorite games for the system. Sonic CD is obvious: While it's very different to both the Sonic games before it, it does it's own thing, and it does it well. Both soundtracks have some fantastic music to them, there's some really good level design, and the time attack mode is a lot of fun.

Eternal Champions... well, it's not going to beat Street Fighter II. It's hardly balanced, for one thing, the special move inputs are a little weird, and the AI is insanely unfair But there's some interesting character designs, like a cowboy and a US senator, some decent gameplay once you figure it out, and tons and tons of blood. Seriously. this game has all of the classic MKs beat when it comes to blood spilled.

Shadowrunner

Not everybody liked the original Eternal Champions game but I thought it was pretty good. I've always regretted selling my CD unit before getting to try the sequel. With Sega doing all these HD remakes I really hope this one gets done although it's probably not very high on their list. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed  :)

nakamura

Quote from: "The Laird"I think Sega really missed a trick with the Mega CD though. Rather than releasing all those cheesy FMV games what they should have done is release aracade perfect conversions of all their Super Scaler games. Seen as the Mega CD had the exact same scaling chip they had used in these games and the same processor it almost seems mad that they didn't. Imagine versions of Enduro Racer, Outrun, G-Loc, Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force 2, Afterburner 2 and Line Of Fire. The only Super Scaler coin-op we got on the Mega CD was Afterburner 3, which was G-Loc 2 in the arcades.

This would have been pretty good.

Another issue with the MCD is despite the extra chips, the games could still look rather muddy due to the lack of colours. In effect it still game titles a MD look which on one hand is not terrible, but on the other it is when you are forking out £250 odd quid for an add on.

Personally I find the Mega CD as a machine is rubbish. The majority of the games could have just come on a cart. The FMV games are crap and only the games that use the scaling like Thunderhawk really stood out.
I don't get the love for Batman Returns either. The scaling on the driving sections is rather nice but the rest of the game is rather average and you are just paying top whack for a few extras.

Still, like most consoles there are some great titles for it and worth owning at the right price.

Rogue Trooper

Think games like Terminator:S.E, Dune, Lunar, Snatcher and Final Fight would have required a pretty hefty sized cart and even then been cut back somewhat, they stood out (for myself).

Batman Returns 3D sections? personally, outside of Roadblasters in the Arcade, the most impressive bits of their genre i'd yet played. (platform sections ran faster than the cart.version, plus sound improved).

It's true a lot of the potential of the hardware really was wasted (even by CORE-Wolfchild, Wonder Dog, Jaguar XJ220 etc a CD soundtrack and flash intro a enhanced game doth not make) and how on earth Powermonger ran slower, despite the MCD CPU being faster the MD's i cannot fathom.

EWJ was another missed op. extra level, but it felt poor compared to levels from cart.game.

Just out of interest:How were PC Engine CD games compared to their cart versions? Understand R-type came on 2 carts, CD had everything on 1 disc, music greatly improved by being on CD in games, but any other improvements or CD only games?

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Just out of interest:How were PC Engine CD games compared to their cart versions? Understand R-type came on 2 carts, CD had everything on 1 disc, music greatly improved by being on CD in games, but any other improvements or CD only games?

The only advantages of the Super CD-ROM on the PC Engine was extra storage space, extra RAM and CD audio.

Rogue Trooper

What was the extra storage space used for on PC Eng. CD games (other than CD music)? did it get flashy intro's like MCD games? lot of big RPG's? extra levels to existing cart games?

Hear Rainbow Islands was the only conversion to feature the 3 secret Islands and had it's own exclusive ending sequence with a J-Pop song.

Looking for other examples like this.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"What was the extra storage space used for on PC Eng. CD games (other than CD music)? did it get flashy intro's like MCD games? lot of big RPG's? extra levels to existing cart games?

Hear Rainbow Islands was the only conversion to feature the 3 secret Islands and had it's own exclusive ending sequence with a J-Pop song.

Looking for other examples like this.

It got A LOT of RPG's but mostly it was just used for music or to add more levels. It couldn't do FMV but you did quite often get nice animated intros. There are a lot of Super CD-ROM games that could have easily been on HuCard. For example the original Street Fighter is a CD game, while Street Fighter 2 is on HuCard.

dcultrapro

I'm waiting to see if I will win Robo Alleste on the MCD, has anyone here played it? Is it as good as everyone makes out? so far it looks good but I'm not sure yet
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I'm waiting to see if I will win Robo Alleste on the MCD, has anyone here played it? Is it as good as everyone makes out? so far it looks good but I'm not sure yet

I have it, it's bloody excellent.