The making of Match Day

Started by jdanddiet, June 01, 2014, 15:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdanddiet

[size=140]Quite proud of this one, went to interview Jon Ritman a while back and the article is now live on Eurogamer...[/size]

[align=center:3j8wrlu0][size=180]The Making of Match Day[/size][/align:3j8wrlu0]

TrekMD

Nice read!  Always interesting to read this stuff! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Excellent work mate, I always enjoy reading your stuff.

I actually never had Match Day as a kid as I wasn't really into football until I was older so I missed out on all the nostalgia people have for the game. The first footy game I remember playing that I liked was Microprose Soccer, which was just excellent.

jdanddiet

Spector

Match Day might be seen as nostalgia nowadays, but this article reinforces how much thought went into it. I always thought the first game in particular had a real poetry in the way it moved, particularly the simple passing along the ground to other players by keeping your player stationary - which is what took it above C64 International Soccer- and I still like playing it on an emulator speeded up.

[pointless ego-rant]Oh, and I won a Match Day tournament while at secondary school as part of the school "activities week", after winning 2-0 in the final. [/pointless ego-rant] Ritman was one of the best programmers of the 80s, it goes without saying.
DEATH TO SUGAR

jdanddiet

We should have a faceoff grand battle: PSJ versus Spector!

Spector

No. He'd kill me! And judging by the video you made a few years back with you playing the sequel at 300 bloody percent speed, so would you!
DEATH TO SUGAR

zapiy

Great read fella, definately one of those games that defines the retro era for me and the time i spent gaming with my mates.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC