Unreleased & Unfinished Games Thread

Started by Minerals, September 10, 2013, 20:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minerals

[size=140]Unreleased & Unfinished Games Thread[/size]

[size=100]Ive always been really interested in the subject of unreleased and unfinished games that never saw the light of day. There are many great examples of possible gems on a multitude of consoles over the years. I often wonder if many of these titles would have effected the sales figures, impact and legacy of various systems and the fortunes of once great gaming companies such as Sega and Atari......[/size]

[size=100]Heres a couple of examples you may know of potentially big games that never saw the light of day[/size]:

[size=120]Sonic Xtreme - Sega Saturn[/size]

Its a real shame that the Saturn never had its own original Sonic game and maybe if it had then the initial sales  and anticipation of the consoles release may have been stronger. Sonic Xtreme looked truly original and had real potential, but mixed opinions from a number of the 'big-wigs' at Sega meant the game was never finished. Rumored playable versions of the game still exist, one of which was auctioned off to an anonymous source in 2005, but was later proved to just be a demo based on the 'Nights Engine'. Im glad to see the ideas conveyed in this Xtreme are finally seeing fruition in the form in the upcoming release of Sonic: Lost Worlds on Wii U, even if the original game will never truely be imagined.

Sonic X treme Promo Video - Sega E3 Expo Video (1996) Cancelled Sega Saturn Game

[size=120]Super Mario's Wacky Worlds - Phillips CD-i[/size]

A deal was struck with Nintendo after the ill-fated CD add-on for SNES to be manufactured by Phillips never saw the light of day. This allowed them to release games on the CD-i system featuring their 2 biggest characters. This included the horrible Zelda: Wand of Gamelon and the slightly less horrible Hotel Mario, both of which bared no similarity to the games we had seen before on Nintendo consoles in terms of the core gameplay and actual quality. A game however started development to change all that and was planned to be a direct sequel to the hugely successful Super Mario World. Thousands of consoles could have been sold on the promise alone of a new Mario platform game.  Heres a look at what could have been:

Super Mario's Wacky Worlds

onthinice

Always wished better for the 32X and its lost games.

My dream is to one day discover, that Bonk RPG was finished for the PC Engine/Turbo Graphix-16.

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"Always wished better for the 32X and its lost games.

My dream is to one day discover, that Bonk RPG was finished for the PC Engine/Turbo Graphix-16.

The weirdest unreleased game for the 32X has to be Virtua Hamster!

25. EP WoMD: Virtua Hamster 32X Prototype - Unreleased (gameplay) [HD]

onthinice

Anyone else feel like they are watching Sewer Shark?  Except this game is a lot more colorful. Whoa, I'm tripping!

Shadowrunner

Reminds me of some of the bonus stages in the Sonic games.
Looks like it was pretty far in development, too bad it was never released.

Bobinator

If there's anything that fascinates me, it's how many cancelled fighting games Atari Games were behind. When I say Atari Games, I'm talking about the arcade guys. The Area 51 guys, to be specific. I just look at all of these, and I think: Why were they so determined to keep releasing fighting games? Who kept funding them? Did they keep thinking that if they just doing these, a few would slip through eventually? (Well, I guess that explains Primal Rage and Mace: The Dark Age...)

Cyberstorm

Primal Rage 2

Bloodlust: IK3

Yes, that acronym IS supposed to be International Karate 3, apparently. That's... that's quite a leap there, Atari.

Tenth Degree

If you're wondering, the character designs in this game were done by James Goddard, the guy who designed Dee Jay. Which kind of explains why this game looks so... anime, for a game made by Atari Games.

Vicious Circle

And apparently this one got cancelled because the testers kept leaving to go play the Killer Instinct cabinet they had.

You'd think after Cancelled Fighting Game #2 they would have tried something else.

Minerals

Heres a video that gives you a decent look at Primal Rage 2, looks like it would have been pretty good:

TL

The Saturn uncompleted Sega Saturn version of Shenmue has to be another really famous one:

Shenmue Saturn Video

Minerals

That Shenmue demo really shows what the Saturn was capable of  :111:

TL

Indeed! And here is another Saturn prototype - Fighting Force

Fighting Force Beta Sega Saturn - Part 1/2

Interesting fact - this was originally going to be the 4th Streets Of Rage game!

onthinice

TL

Possibly the most ironic name for a prototype game ever - Chuck Norris: Missing In Action on the Atari 7800!

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/mia/mia.htm

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Possibly the most ironic name for a prototype game ever - Chuck Norris: Missing In Action on the Atari 7800!

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/mia/mia.htm

That's for sure!   :24:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Here's another 32X game that was never finished. Looks like it could have been a good game.

X-MEN

X-MEN 32X Unreleased game

TL

Never seen that before! Looks pretty cool!  :16: