Genre Wars - Nintendo Entertainment System Vs Sega Master Sy

Started by Fin, October 26, 2013, 18:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

Although we already have a system comparisons thread for NES vs Master System this one is a little different.

(other thread http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=2841)

When it comes to comparing the same titles on the NES / SMS, the SMS wins 99% of the time because it was technically more capable.

The only time the NES can win is with exclusives and god knows it had enough!

Therefore this thread is a bit different, this time the aim is to see which system wins for each genre.

One person picks a genre, such as side scrolling shooter, and posts what they think is the best for their chosen platform.  In response someone else posts a game for the other platform, and then we decided.

I am going to start us of with a side scrolling shooter for the NES.

Contra:

Contra (NES) - Part 1 of 2

Can a SMS side scrolling shooter beat this? I doubt it!

TL

Crusto

Good call, mine is the first zillion. Cracking games on both systems, a really tough call. But I would say zillion thanks to its extra depth of play and slick visuals.
Bitches leave

Fin

I have to admit i haven't played either Zillion so i aren't gonna be able to decide, i was one of the seemingly few UK people whose friends all had Nintendo's or Computer rather than a SMS.

The only thing i can say about Contra/Probotector is excellent control, nice variety of levels, excellent music and detailed graphics for the NES. It also harks back to the arcade days of a solid challenge that keeps pulling you back for more by design, rather than through inept programming (really wish i had know about the Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start lives cheat when i was little)

SnakeEyes

OH Contra without a shadow of a doubt.

MS may be better technically and come out on top when you compare the same games head to head most of the time, but the NES comes alive and into its own when exclusives are added into the mix.

Fin

Having now played all 3 games i have to vote for Contra. Its hard don't get me wrong but it just pulls you back time and time again.

I think we have to give side scrolling shooter award to NES!

Next genre someone?

TL

You might, I don't  :10:

Ok I will pick one, next up is horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up.

I nominate R-Type for the Sega Master System:

Master System Longplay [004] R-Type

Crusto

The only answer to that on the NES  (as far as I know) would be gradius. But for me it's a slightly inferior game to R-Type anyway". Plus the SMS conversion of R-Type is a great achievement.
Bitches leave

TL

Greyfox

With not owning either, my time was spend on the NES more so, I never knew or seen a master system at he time, maybe based the sher volume of games available on the NES this in my neck of woods was what ruled the roost.

But I have agree with Laird , not a patch on SMS sry :( maybe he NES will win next time.

Fin

Quote from: "Greyfox"not a patch on SMS sry :( maybe he NES will win next time.

I think we a winner;

horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up goes to SMS

Time to pull out the big boys, platformers!

Dont think i need to say anything else for the NES:

Super Mario Bros. 3 NES (Full Game no Warps) [Detailed Gameplay]

SnakeEyes

Sonic is the obvious answer to that. I prefer Mario 3 but Sonic on the MS is an amazing game and in some ways better than the MD version.

Its all subjective and down to tastes but I think this one is down to personal tastes and either game could be the winner.

TL

You are right, Sonic probably is the obvious answer to that.

But just to throw a curve ball I think it's worth putting forward this stunning game . . . .

Master System Longplay [010] Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Fin

Sonic on the SMS is a solid game don't get me wrong, but when you compare Sonic on the SMS and MD the control and experience is just very rigid.

When you compare Mario on the SNES / NES they are just so smooth.

When you compare the 2, i have to argue for the NES.....

But then there is Alex Kidd on the NES....i aren't sure, lets see what else comes up.