The Sega Dreamcast Thread

Started by TL, July 25, 2012, 19:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

I wish I had bought mine new. It has been one of the best systems I have ever owned.

TL

Well this is my small Dreamcast collection (without my new Mad Catz controller)

AmigaJay

Some deemt games there (Shenmue, crazy taxi, chu chu, sonic, ready to rumble, revolt) though I hate any wrestling game and I can see at least 3 there lol e.o.s is pure crap too but nice start...makes me wanna turn mine on...bit late though!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Quote from: "AmigaJay"Some deemt games there (Shenmue, crazy taxi, chu chu, sonic, ready to rumble, revolt) though I hate any wrestling game and I can see at least 3 there lol e.o.s is pure crap too but nice start...makes me wanna turn mine on...bit late though!

I got the Dreamcast for free and just bought one big job lot of games on eBay, you are right though E.O.S. is terrible!

tomwaits

Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles too.

I was planning to buy one on the US launch day, but I was at an import shop on the outskirts of NYC in March(?) 1999... shopping for Saturn games. :D They'd just received HotD 2 for the DC. Saw it running on their demo unit and I immediately paid $$$ for a Japanese console and the HotD 2 game/gun box set. (I also bought a US console on 9/9/99)

onthinice

Very Nice DC Collection Laird!!!

dcultrapro

haven't been playing my DC much lately I need to get back on it soon got lots of games I still wanna play again specifically Shenmues and Headhunter
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

I still need to try out my new Mad Catz controller!  :o

Might have to give a play over the weekend.

dcultrapro

hey guys, I thought I'd wake this thread up with a quick post about some stuff... Ok so first off I have got more Dreamcast gameplay vids up on my channel, more Evil Twin and Slave Zero and a new feature game that could turn into a walkthrough if people want it, Headhunter! Probably THE must own 3rd person action title on the DC, it came out in 2001 and incorporated elements of MGS while freshening it up. Its also one of the most cinematic and well written DC games outside of the Shenmue pair.

Another thing to talk about, I recently picked up a spare wheel, kb and mouse so if I ever have a mate round that wants to play Quake 3 or MSR we can dual kb and mouse and dual wheel it lol

serious pain in the arse at the moment with my favourite Mad Catz controllers, the cables are going so every now and then when I move slightly the controller will cut out and the game will pause saying the controller is disconnected... what a bastard that is when your trying to do video footage.. sorry if it happens in any of my vids guys!! So anyway bottom line is I invested in 2 new boxed brand new official pads so I can play proper. I much prefer the madcatz stuff but for my vids and my sanity I've opted to get the officials again. The other problem with the MC at the moment is that the controls aren't mapped properly when you start the console, hopefully this is just the controllers and not a sign that my DC's controller ports are fooked lol

anyway come on guys keep the DC lovin up! Any video requests for my channel let me know
Ultrapro on xbox live

Rogue Trooper

Mate! you should have shouted out, i've couple of spare official DC pads i'd have given you for free.

Bang on about Headhunter, bloody amazing game, pity the sequel was so flawed (camera and lock on issues when aiming).

Slave Zero was'nt bad either, still have the soundtrack CD here somewhere.

TL

Wish I had known! I just bought a second controller for my DC recently!

dcultrapro

thanks rogue, shame but nevermind! They REALLY arent expensive lol

Know what Laird? About me wanting controllers? Nevermind lol

Yeah Slave Zero is actually deceptively awesome, the next part in my walkthrough is an excellent boss battle where you have to dodge around a spiral walkway and in the middle is a massive mech type enemy and there is toxic water that is constantly rising.

I'm torn as to what my next game should be for my channel, but maybe I should just finish the ones I'm working on...
Ultrapro on xbox live

davyk

Dreamcast has ingredient X for me. I can't quite put my finger on why I like the console so much - there's something about it that says "indulgent".

The games, particularly Sega's own, are just so bright and sparkly and it really did bring the arcade home - it's just such a pity that that doesn't seem to be what people wanted - instead they seemed to want EA games, DVD playback, and to believe the crap Sony put out about emotion engines . Ho Hum.

I'm ashamed to say I did my usual vulture technique when I got into Dreamcast. I came in at the death - picked one up brand new in Argos for £50 packed with VF4tb, MSR and Ecco - what a deal. They even threw in an extra controller (albeit 3rd party). All I had to get was a VMU and I got a cheap GAME branded one round the corner. The wife wasn't all that impressed as we were in the middle of a house renovation (late 2001) but I haven't regretted it for one minute since.

My DC collection is something I'm quite proud of even though it's not huge - but its pure quality and I've got a full complement of 1st party controllers with rumble packs, extension cords and a pile of VMUs (some still boxed!) in various colours. I've got four (count 'em!) arcade sticks, 2 keyboards, 2 mice,  2 guns, 2 wheels, and a 3rd party VGA box to complement the VGA SCART lead.

I've even got a 2nd console - on the lookout for the linkup cable to try out the F355 linkup mode...

nakamura

Sports games always have been and always will be vital to a console. Hence Fifa being one of the biggest selling games every year.  :)

Little bit cheating but I managed to find a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends on GC in CEX. It was nice as I sold my DC version a long time back and kinda regretted it. Still this version is generally better with the lower encounter rate.

dcultrapro

awesome idea dude I have 2 dcs and 2 steering wheels, never thought about the link up capabilities!! My my that is an idea lol

My Headhunter video is going up today, did someone say that was a PAL only release?? Seriously good game.

yeah the Dreamcast just had that wow factor for me, it was my baby because when the Saturn died after I came in late I vowed to support the next Sega console 100% from release... it was tough but incredibly rewarding getting all the best games for it on release, being so obsessed with it that I completed most every game I got for it at the time... seriously those were the days
Ultrapro on xbox live